The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

American mother gets 99 years in jail for beating her baby

WHL rocks

Texas mom gets 99 years for gluing toddler to wall, beating her

[updated at 4:22 p.m. ET] A Texas mother who super-glued her 2-year-old daughter's hands to a wall and beat her over potty training problems was sentenced Friday morning to 99 years in prison, a Dallas County felony records department district clerk said.

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, will be eligible to ask for parole in 30 years. She pleaded guilty in July to a charge of first-degree injury to a child, a crime punishable by anywhere between probation and life in prison.

"This mom was pure evil, and her children are better off without her," prosecutor Eren Price said after a judge delivered Friday's sentence. "Her five kids now have a chance to lead a productive life."

Escalona’s attorney said that the sentence was excessive and that an appeal would be filed, CNN affiliate KTVT reported.

Escalona's daughter Jocelyn Cedillo was less than two months shy of her 3rd birthday in September 2011 when Escalona used a powerful adhesive to glue her hands to a wall and beat her because of potty training troubles, authorities said. Three other children belonging to Escalona, who was pregnant at the time, witnessed the abuse, according to Dallas County district attorney's office spokeswoman Debbie Denmon.

The child urinated on herself during the ordeal, during which she was hit in head and kicked in the groin, among other forms of abuse, Denmon said.

Oefelia Escalona, the defendant's mother, testified during her daughter's sentencing hearing this week that she found the girl and took her to a hospital. Once Jocelyn was there, medical authorities noticed severe bruises to her face and head, as well as a severe brain injury that led to her temporarily being in a coma.

At this week's sentencing hearing, prosecutors showed pictures of Jocelyn's hands and bruised body and forehead.

"The entire picture was very shocking," said Dr. Amy Barton, then a child abuse pediatrician at Children's Medical Center of Dallas, choking back tears on the stand on Monday. "I see a lot of children, and this was one of the most shocking cases that I have seen."

Escalona asked for leniency during her sentencing hearing this week, saying she behaved like a monster but deserved a second chance, KTVT reported. Her mother asked the judge to sentence Elizabeth to probation, according to KTVT.

Price initially offered a plea bargain of 45 years in prison, but Escalona turned it down, the district attorney's office said.

Price said that the judge, after learning more about Escalona during the hearing, was justified in sentencing her to more time.

"Elizabeth Escalona wasn't sorry for what she did to 2-year-old Jocelyn. Elizabeth Escalona felt sorry for herself," Price said. "Those tears on the stand were for her and not for the toddler she tortured."

An attempt to reach Escalona's attorney for comment Friday was not immediately successful.

Before this incident, Escalona had been investigated by Texas Child Protective Services but never arrested or charged, Denmon said.

The child welfare agency put all of her children in foster care after Jocelyn was taken to the hospital. All five of them, including Jocelyn, are now in the custody of their grandmother, Oefelia Escalona.

The real losers in this entire ordeal are the children. While it's great that their monster of a mother has been locked up, they most likely will be separated now and will bounce around several foster homes. Poor kids, I really terrible for them. It saddens me to think that their family couldn't step in to take them. Tragic.

I don't understand how this woman could think she'd get away with something like that. Like even if she's psychotic enough to glue her 2 yr olds hands to the wall, how could she not see a 99yr prison sentence on the horizon once someone finds out.

They should glue her hands to the wall and sentence her to 99 uppercuts from that bus driver.

Sentences like: "The child urinated on herself during the ordeal, during which she was hit in head and kicked in the groin, among other forms of abuse" I can't shake. To have a poor baby so terrified, OF HER OWN MOTHER, is unthinkable to me. Eye for an eye? - glue her damn hands in her cell (not really, but part of me says yes).

23 year olds with 5 children and what appears to be obviously no maternal instincts are a very scary thought. And we wonder why some kids act out so badly in school, etc. There is nothing more tragic than a defenseless child having to endure the wrath of a maniac adult. When it's their parent, it's unforgivable.

Welcome to the cycle of abuse....I only wish that when she was making her babies she was, instead, taking time to address her own demons. I have no sympathy for adults who don't - there are enough resources available and awareness about the cycle of abuse that there is no excuse anymore to simply transfer it elsewhere. Back in the days of shutting things in closets and sweeping them under the rug - maybe, as it was foreign and taboo. But not in today's climate of acceptance and assistance.

Being on drugs and getting involved with gang crap while having 5 kids ill-afforded her to have time for politically correct potty training.

Yes, she's a monster. But a relatively minor one compared to drugs, gangs, and gangs on drugs.

Or how about the division of the classes?

Meanwhile, It's amazing how little success the US has had in war lately:

Vietnam: Loss

Drugs: Loss

Iraq 1: Unfinished

Afghanistan: Neverending

Iraq 2: Also Neverending

Terror: Also also neverending

And now they want to go into Iran?

What happened to the big win? It's gotta be demoralizing to not accomplish jack squat in warfare for decades.

I don't understand how this woman could think she'd get away with something like that. Like even if she's psychotic enough to glue her 2 yr olds hands to the wall, how could she not see a 99yr prison sentence on the horizon once someone finds out.

They should glue her hands to the wall and sentence her to 99 uppercuts from that bus driver.

I took a course a few year ago where I found out over 60% of all Canadian females have been abused by the time they turn 18.

In Canada this mother would not even get 9 years for this horrendous and cowardly behavior. Atleast the Americans take this stuff seriously.

This is a heart wrenching story. Being a father of two boys it's difficult to hear about a small child going thru something so terrible.

Archived