The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feeling a little less die-hard?

Hank Moody

I feel genuinely sorry for all those poor schmucks who seem to think that no NHL= no hockey. Me, I'm being fully entertained by streaming KHL games and the Victoria Royals playing live in my hometown. Also I am eagerly anticipating the WJC (which should be excellent this year with all the best juniors available) and the WHC (ditto). I actually hope that the NHL lockout lasts at least two seasons so that some of the foolishly located teams go broke and some of the fly by night fans go elsewhere.

if anything the lockout is making me feel more passionate

thinking about how burrows and the twins should have been lighting up the flames the other night PISSES ME OFF

it sucks ,it really does, but atleast local whl and other markets are going to have alot more eyes on them not close to the same tho

i am from oz so no ancillary hockey for me, our playing season is over till may. i follow the cycling, but they dont start again till January. Im generally pretty bummed, was going to sign up for AHL but it seems a bit crap by all reports, cant they hire the sportsnet guys to improve thier broadcast? Just watched the highlights and they were hard to watch.

Remember that movie Good Will Hunting-where Ben afflek goes to his mates house everyday hoping he has left town? Thats how I feel about the lockout, I check TSN every day just hoping....

I've been a fan since well before any kind of a lock out... As the days pass I am not even noticing there is no hockey. I also agree with the OP about how the game has declined over the years with the officiating etc. I'm sure I will watch it again when it comes back, I am still coming here and checking in for info.

I live in Calgary, so I will only be catching the games on CBC and Sportsnet when they play the fLames or the cOilers... This year if hockey does come back I will not be purchasing the Center Ice Pack as I have done for the last 6 years, nor will I ever purchase it again. They have made me lose interest with their squabbling. I do not agree with the league using a lock out as a bargaining tool, I also don't like it that the league wants to go back on contracts they have already signed with players.

I think the players should have just signed the deal already as they will lose more money than they would have lost from the roll back. I disagree with the players going to other leagues and playing for less money there, as well as taking jobs from other players who have to make a living, who are not going to be getting paid now because of them.

I also have to agree with the fellow who wrote the open letter to the NHLPA that it makes me feel like the players are willing to play for less in other markets, but expect huge dollars here.... it makes me feel like they dont care about me as a fan, and I'm sure they don't. They just care about their pay check...

The couple of hundred bucks from the Center Ice Pack I usually buy isnt going to put a big dent in their pockets, but I'm not doing this to make a stand or anything of the sort... I just simply don't care anymore, they have lost me.

I've honestly felt the exact same way.

Every year that passes, winning the cup just doesn't have that same appeal that it used to.

Part of it comes with the bs officiating that's tainted the cup. And with that, many of our greatest players may never win. The fact that they should have but didn't leaves such a bitter taste so that winning the cup in a few years would be nothing compared to 2011 or even 1994.

And then the lockout is the straw that broke the camel's back. Why should I come back...again? I just sat through a lockout a few years ago only to witness garbage officiating and suspensions. And the predictability of the playoffs is a joke now. There's no reason to watch when I already know who's going to win. This is why I didn't watch the playoffs last year once the Canucks were out.

I think I've come to the conclusion that once the Sedins have retired, I'm not going to follow that closely anymore. What's the point

I'm sure the NHL isn't going to miss your $150.00, considering they pull in upwards of $3 billion...

That said, I respect your decision and trying to "stick it to the man", so to speak. I wish there were more like you, to teach the league a lesson.

Unfortunately I (like many others) am too weak to actually boycott hockey.

Don't miss the NHL at all, and find myself not caring when the lockout ends. I've been big on football for a long time, and this lockout just lets me focus my attention even more onto football. Plus I like to go to Blazer games, so that gets me my hockey fix.

Even when the lockout is over, I doubt I will go back to watching it the way I used to.

I guess I just don't really care about the NHL anymore, and have found other things to focus my energy on.

I've been a Canuck fan since 1982. I've been watching more CFL, and NFL...baseball playoffs. I live in Whitehorse, so there's no senior or junior team at all. Canucks were the only thing to get through the minus 40 weather. I guess i'll have to watch curling.

I think Modano said it best. He lost 7 million in the lockout season. If the players are as self-centered and greedy as they are with the limited timelines of playing, just take the deal at a 24 percent rollback and move on.

I think deep down inside, the Sedins don't give a flying crap about the lockout, or negotiations and just want to play even with the 24 percent rollback. They just want to prove themselves and fulfull the contracts they reasonably signed, then donated a portion to Children's Hospital. Again, with the rollback cause they know the NHL has provided them a good life. Also, Sedins want a cup bad. How many Canucks have signed in Europe? They know what they have is good, but unfortunately have to go along with the rest of the 'herd'.

I also know Aquaman doesn't want a lockout. He's making tons with this fanbase, and wants a cup. Gillis and his internal cap/structure is the way to go, and it's too damn bad more teams didn't follow that system. The NHL would be much healthier if Gomez/Redden contracts weren't handed out like candy at halloween, and skewer the system.

Lets hope both side pull their heads out of their bums soon and get a deal done.

someone needs to send a link to this thread to the NHL and NHLPA. I enjoy following and watching hockey but am far less interested and even if the season starts again in the new year I don't think I'll watch as much. It seems like I'm not the only one who feels this way, if the NHL lockout continues this could be very very bad for the league.

Sadly, the best league in the world is, for the most part, comprised of players and owners more intenet on squabbling over money than playing the game. Listen to Modano, he's been through it before. What will change this time?

I have been a Canucks fan all my life, including when I was at game 7 against Boston hoping for a comeback. I know now that those monies would be the last ones spent on supporting the league. No more Center Ice, no more Rogers Arena winfall from me in the beer and food lineup, no more merchandise will be purchased. I will watch hockey in a pub or on TV at home when it returns, I'll even be entertained by it, but that's the closest they will get to calling me a revenue source.

The NHL can eat it. Don't come back for 3 years. Don't come back until you dissolve teams that don't need to be in poor locations. Undilute the talent the league has. When you do, you can find me at WHL, NFL, or CFL games.

Eat it.

It's really tough to say. My interest in hockey has not been this low since the late 90s. And as a current Winnipeg Jets season ticket holder, I can say that there are quite a few season ticket holders (myself included), who may not return after this season, should the lockeout last the full year.

The last lockout is still very fresh in my mind and I have just grown tired of all of it to be honest. Now, it might also be because the last time the Jets played a game it was the beginning of April, so it has been half a year, so my interest has waned quite a bit. Hmm, so this is what it must be like to be a Leafs fan.

Archived