The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate the Last Game You Played

Hat Trick Maker

I just don't care enough for the Borderlands characters to consider buying a Telltale game of it.

The GoT one though, I can highly recommend it. It's pretty cool how some of the voice actors from the show participated at well. Cersei, Tyrion, Ramsey, Margaery I think are the 4.

I've never played a Borderlands game before, so I didn't know what to expect. From what I've read, majority of the characters in the Telltale game are not from the game. Patrick Waterburn voices one of the main roles, and he's great. The main male character is voiced by the guy who does the Joker in the new Arkham games (after Mark Hamill). Chris Hardwick voices his sidekick. The story and humor are top notch. As much as I loved The Wolf Among Us (and those graphic novels), Tales from the Borderlands and GoT are, without question, light years better.

Yeah, i ended up skipping the wolf among us because of my prior experience with the walking dead game, as I mentioned before.

Though I likely will end up not skipping the GOT one, regardless of how limited in depth and freedom of choice it is. It will almost by default be the best GOT game on the market.

From there I can judge whether or not to go back and play the wolf among us, or this borderlands game. I'm a pretty big borderlands fan, but Telltale need to actually prove themselves to me, because my faith in them is not high.

The last game I finished was Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Like I said in the PC thread upon initially getting into it, it's for fans of the series, but not to the average gamer coming in to it. Compared to Borderlands 2, it for the large part has more inferior characters, an inferior story, inferior quests, inferior jokes, and offers less content/ play time.

That's not even complaining about the game, because really, it's pretty good, and I had fun with it. But it's a really great expansion, and not a standalone game. Doesn't offer enough of anything new. A new, shorter, adventure on the same engine, with a couple of gameplay addition. The definition of an expansion to an RPG, lol.

I regret not playing the game with Athena, because despite Nisha being so incredibly overpowered to almost game breaking lengths (Use the showdown power with the Egon gun from Ghost Busters mission. Dear God.), i didn't like the sadism from the other 2 options, and the 4th one is claptrap. So you've got 2 bad guys, 1 good guy, and a claptrap. Meh.

So $60? If you really want more borderlands and can't wait. It's no definitive experience. I didn't feel jipped or anything personally, but it's hardly a fair price. It's $40 for all of PC, PS3, and 360 on Amazon and Best Buy for the next week. That's far more reasonable.

Maybe a 7.5/10 or something if I had to rate it. Good enough.

I've never played a Borderlands game before, so I didn't know what to expect. From what I've read, majority of the characters in the Telltale game are not from the game. Patrick Waterburn voices one of the main roles, and he's great. The main male character is voiced by the guy who does the Joker in the new Arkham games (after Mark Hamill). Chris Hardwick voices his sidekick. The story and humor are top notch. As much as I loved The Wolf Among Us (and those graphic novels), Tales from the Borderlands and GoT are, without question, light years better.

Interesting that Chris Hardwick is in it from The Talking Dead.

Also wow, Troy Baker is the main character in this Borderlands Telltale game?

He's done a ton of great voice work including:

Joel from The Last of Us

Booker from Bioshock: Infinite

Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain

Sam Drake in Uncharted 4. Not sure who Sam Drake is yet. Obviously a relative of the main character of some sort.

Snow in FF13

Delsin in inFAMOUS: Second Son

Harvey Dent in the upcoming Arkham Knight

Talion in Shadow of Mordor

These are all huge roles, and added onto that are a lot of minor roles as well from other games. This dude has a big resume. 5 of those above are the main character as well, including the Borderlands game.

Interesting that Chris Hardwick is in it from The Talking Dead.

Also wow, Troy Baker is the main character in this Borderlands Telltale game?

He's done a ton of great voice work including:

Joel from The Last of Us

Booker from Bioshock: Infinite

Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain

Sam Drake in Uncharted 4. Not sure who Sam Drake is yet. Obviously a relative of the main character of some sort.

Snow in FF13

Delsin in inFAMOUS: Second Son

Harvey Dent in the upcoming Arkham Knight

Talion in Shadow of Mordor

These are all huge roles, and added onto that are a lot of minor roles as well from other games. This dude has a big resume. 5 of those above are the main character as well, including the Borderlands game.

I first knew about him from playing Tales of Vesperia* on the 360. Didn't realize he was such a prominent voice actor till much later.

*he voiced Yuri Lowell, the protagonist of the game

• 2 months later...

Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 2

A really good continuation from episode 1, and it was a hard act to follow. Ever since The Walking Dead, each Telltale series has been better, first with The Wolf Among Us, followed by Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones.

As much as I've professed my love for The Wolf Among Us, which infinitely better than The Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderlands is, without question, the strongest out of all Telltales Games. The voice acting, the incredible writing, and the countless scenarios due to each decision (unlike The Walking Dead) greatly change the outcome. Having read from other gamer's who've played through the first two episodes, people have had a lot different experiences playing through from one another, not just one way or another.

Really witty dialogue and an all around good time.

Tomb Raider - 8/10

GTA V - 9/10

NHL 15 - 7/10

SSX - 7.5/10

Dead Island Riptide - 8.5/10

Dishonored - 7.5/10

Bioshock Infinite - 8.5/10

XCOM Enemy Within - 9/10

Dragonball Xenoverse - 9/10

Mortal Kombat - 8/10

Picked up PES 2015 from Target for $35 and it's actually pretty good so far. I still have to get used to the gameplay but this game has way better AI than FIFA 15, we'll see how it goes as I start to get the hang of it.

7/10 *at this point (Rating could go up/down the more of it I play)

Persona 4

9.5/10 Overall

Really fun game I picked up over Christmas break. I don't know why I've never played this series before. The gameplay is really fun and engaging for a turn based RPG. Going into it i thought I would be bored doing the "social link" parts (hanging out with your friends which gives you bonuses) but really the side plots have become my favourite part of the game, the characters are really interesting and likable for the most part.

I'd give it a 10/10 for story

8/10 for music (it's pretty good, but it gets repetitive)

9.5/10 for gameplay

8/10 for graphics (good, but it's a PS2 game so, yeah)

9.5/10 for acting (it really is spot on throughout the game... though I heard the remake for PS Vita changed a bunch of the voice-actors)

I've yet to finish it after 45+ hours but thus far it is definitely in my top 10 favourite games of all-time.

Haven't played games in ages so I'll try to keep this as current as possible.

I forgot what the system was called but the controller had nintendo on it, looked like this

NES-controller.jpg

I just can't remember name. Same goes for the game but I remember having a lot of fun. In it there was some boss, you met at the end and like some mazes. Man I would love to play that game again. When I go to my grave, my biggest regret will be not knowing what it was called.

Gamecube- Mario Kart 8/10

Classic game, just couldn't get enough. Graphics could have been better though.

Wii- Mario Kart 10/10

Self explanatory.

PC- Age of Empires 3

Best RTS game ever. I like the fact that this game actually tests your thinking skills unlike other games which just test your speed.

• 4 weeks later...

Always Sometimes Monsters - 7.5/10

ux6EQfk.jpg

I play and complete a lot of indie games, many that are far better than this, but after completing them, I don't feel really compelled in any way to write about them, let alone in a fairly long winded manner like I will with this one. Why this game then? It's a simple and cheap game (made with RPG maker, I believe), but it harbours some complex storytelling and social messages on the surface of things, and left both in awe and scratching my head over the choices that the developers mad while designing it, and I did while playing it.

It's a risky proposition to make a game without, say any gameplay. Because that's what Always Sometimes Monsters does. You could call it an RPG, but there's no combat, or levelling up of any kind. You could call it an adventure game, but there's no puzzle solving or object finding. Rather, you walk, and you talk, and you walk some more. It attempts to make a game predicated solely upon its ability to engage you with your character, their surroundings, and their predicament. The tool at your disposal is choice.

Throughout the game you'll end up at points where it branches for a brief period of time, based on what you chose to do. Choose one sub plot to chase, and the other gets locked up for this playthrough, and so on. There could be simple dialogue options that that are often inconsequential, but other times they could shift the entire tone of the game, as people die or have their fates otherwise fracked about with.

I'm getting ahead of myself here, because I haven't really outlined what the game is about, or what the purpose of it all is. Basically your character, a guy or a girl, starts off the game in the dumps. They're broke, kicked out of their apartment, and scrounging for work after their publisher pulls the plug on their writing deal. Your girlfriend/boyfriend broke up with you about a year ago, and as you lose you're losing your apartment, you get a invitation to their wedding. Racked with regret, your goal is to travel across the country in 30 days to break it all up.

As a broke bum, your goal is to essentially scrounge your way their. Through whatever situations you get yourself into, the game attempts to test your morality. Being immoral gets you through everything a lot quicker, obviously, while trying to keep on what you judge to be a right path may prevent you from getting there on time. The themes got pretty varied from what I observed. Drugs, love, friendship/loyalty, sex, debt, corruption, religion, murder, suicide.

Sometimes you're making decisions for yourself, and sometimes you're effecting others. Along the way I stopped a couple of people in their drug addictions, and completely enabled a few others. I saved a few people from being murdered, but I created the circumstances for another one to commit suicide. I helped Rob Ford rig an election. I did a lot of things.

Most of it was great. Most of it. The issue is that as you're hopping from city to city to head to the west coast, the game gets less appealing along the way. The nuance gives way to increasing levels of tediousness, and by the time you finally get to San Francisco, it abruptly wraps up. No more exploration, no more quests. An event or two, and you're hit over the head with the wedding.

In a game that wants to be about romance and finding home and purpose in your various stops, I can't say it succeeded. Unless I missed something along the way, there are no other romantic interests to make you second guess your quest. No other person to stop and settle your life with instead, so why not go for it all and make sure your ex is with you? With the cities themselves as well, why stop? In Beeton I got myself a cushy union job and the favour of the mayor... So what? It's suggesting I could/should stay, but when I exhaust all the interactions/quests/objectives, there's nothing left to do, and only the next city to move on to. The game would have benefited immensely from fleshing these things out, by adding new regret and doubt in chasing your old mistake down.

There's other things I could touch on, like the really menial labour you could be forced to do. I actually liked this, and would make excuses for just how boring it was, as its one of those moments where the game attempted to actively mirror real life. No one wants to do these stupid McJobs, but you're not getting anywhere without forcing yourself to do them. Not unless you're doing everything you can to cheat others of their money.

By the end, I really don't know that I felt fulfilled, but there were enough things along the way that kind of stuck with me, resolved completely or not. It is all far from expertly written, but is a unique specimen. It gets almost all it points from me by being the type of game it was, rather than the specifics of its execution.

All I know is that there are no other games like this out there, but there need to be. I need to play them. Developers, make more games like this.

Picked up PES 2015 from Target for $35 and it's actually pretty good so far. I still have to get used to the gameplay but this game has way better AI than FIFA 15, we'll see how it goes as I start to get the hang of it.

7/10 *at this point (Rating could go up/down the more of it I play)

PES sucks for only reason. No Japan or Korea licenses. I mean, if konami doesn't allow the west to play as Japan, why doesn't the JFA just allow FIFA?

Archived