The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate the Last Game You Played

Hat Trick Maker

Halo. Master chef edition.

8/10

Last time I played, I just screwed around on forge making the elephant cannon with some friends. Campaigns are good, graphics are good, but the menus feel a bit choppy and rough to navigate. Good game overall.

FEAR 2: Project Origin - 5.75/10

I had never played this game after slogging through the climb that was the first FEAR game. It was tough, but man was that a great game for its time.

I don't know what really happened with this second one. There are some elements of it that work. The AI does get engaged in the whole tactical combat mode as they did before, but they're not exactly intelligent. They're decent shots, but it seems they forgot the basics of flanking. Even if they do manage to hit you, the game is so peppered with health and shields, health, and medkits that it is impossible to die. Most of the time you're just refilling your shield as it it gets fractionally depleted, without ever touching your actual HP and walking past medkits as if they're just part of the scenery.

On the offensive side of things, it's not a challenge to really shoot down these enemies in any way. It takes only a few shots each with enemies readily exposing themselves. If you're a horrible shot and tend to blow through your ammunition, it's not a problem, as ammo refills are just as plentiful as the health pickups.

I can't really make a long write up, as there's not too much to say. It wasn't as creepy or atmospheric as the first game. Even though this came out in 2009, it didn't really hold up to games of its time, let alone against games of today. It's not a long, or really fulfilling experience, though there are some things along the way as the story progresses that kept me from stopping altogether.

The main issue, as I was alluding to earlier, is that on the default normal difficulty, it is comparable in challenge to Elmo's Letter Adventure, or other such pre-school games. It has enough of a satisfying "oomph" to its shooting for those looking for a killing romp, and it does engage you in ways outside of that inherent lack of challenge, but I cannot personally enjoy a game this easy. It's hard to overstate just how invincible you are if you play with the slightest bit of caution and common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

NHL 14: 8.5/10

Yeah, I know, it's a little outdated, but still is a very fun game, if a little easy. Even on Superstar difficulty in Be a Pro, my guy still gets 3 points a game.

Contrast - 7.5/10

lL1ktUg.jpg

Another Canadian indie game I played. There's not enough I can say about it, as it's not long enough. Therein lies my biggest issue with it. There's some interesting things going on, and despite not ending abruptly with the storyline per se, just as you start to get warmed up with the puzzles, the game ends.

It's really about 3.5 hours long, for someone who's half decent at puzzling. While there's no real standard time length for such a game, it's really hard to get anything out of it this one with such sort an experience.

It's a real shame, because the world looks like it has so much to offer you. Thematically, it comes off strong. It's a noir-ish world, but instead of being gritty and grey, is incredibly vibrant. The world looks all torn up and disjointed, as it's played through a young and somewhat troubled girls mind, in response to the machinations of the world around her. It's weird how effective and inviting it is, despite it not being visually populated by any actual people

The reason I really wanted to comment on the game is the visuals in general. It is aesthetically quite possibly the most beautiful looking game I've ever played, vague technical shortcomings aside. I just love the early 20th century Paris-esque flair that surrounds everything. While playing through, it was so easy to get overwhelmed by it. Can I buy a plane ticket to France right now? Does anyone own a time machine? Can I jump into the game? Could someone populate our world with shadow people?

Vlf3NLZ.jpg

While not really engaging any new ideas with its story, the visual representation helps in telling it. The characters being shown in shadow form should hinder any real emotion from getting through, but all works in a weirdly vacant way. Throughout, the game succeeded in facilitating your role as a caretaker of this little girl Didi, and the largely broken way in which she is being raised.

With regards to the gameplay itself, the game is a puzzle platformer. The gimmick is that you progress through a 3D world by merging into its 2D walls, and traversing atop the shadows falling off of lit items in that 3D foreground. It's a combination of navigation, timing, and fiddling with the casting of those 3D objects to get from story point A to B, or find collectables.

It works well, for the most part. Some moments come off as ingenious, some too simple. A couple killed the flow of the game for me. Sometimes the puzzles came off as very smooth, and other times they were bogged down by bugginess, or a lack of fine tuning. What buoyed it rather than the average technical execution was that the shadow platforming made for a unique experience. There's not shortage of puzzle platformers in the market, but it presents something incomparable with the rest. A something that is worth the while to explore and play around with.

It's not really polished, fleshed out, or really long enough for me to regard too highly, but I don't want to sell it short in what it offered. It managed to engage me quickly, and when my argument really centres around my wanting more game, then I would classify it as praise before I would damning criticism.

State of Decay - 6/10

Really cool ideas and a unique zombie experience, but I found the constant nagging from Lily quite annoying. You can't even finish a mission without her complaining that you're not doing the missions fast enough and they just keep stock piling. You can't explore for a long time without being told to go home, or go here or there. It's hard to gather supplies when you have someone constantly nagging you. Theres so many cool ideas to this game and the overall theme is awesome, but they went a little overboard. Im not a fan of the "morale" either. Just let me build a base and survive. I don't care if little johnny is feeling home sick. This game has so much potential too...

Great ideas ruined by stupid mistakes in the game.

Haven't played games in ages so I'll try to keep this as current as possible.

I forgot what the system was called but the controller had nintendo on it, looked like this

NES-controller.jpg

I just can't remember name. Same goes for the game but I remember having a lot of fun. In it there was some boss, you met at the end and like some mazes. Man I would love to play that game again. When I go to my grave, my biggest regret will be not knowing what it was called.

Gamecube- Mario Kart 8/10

Classic game, just couldn't get enough. Graphics could have been better though.

Wii- Mario Kart 10/10

Self explanatory.

PC- Age of Empires 3

Best RTS game ever. I like the fact that this game actually tests your thinking skills unlike other games which just test your speed.

The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The debut system for many of Nintendo's current cast of characters.

Metro: Last Light - 10/10 - Maybe a little biased. I am a big fan of the series

GTA V (PC) - 10/10 - nearly a perfect game. unfortunately it feels 31 missions shorter than usual, but the effort in everything else is still there

Far Cry 4 - 7.5/10 - Gorgeous game, however lacks in story/characters and there were good chunks of the map left un-explored by the end

Hitman: Absolution - 8/10 - Didn't have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised by it

• 3 weeks later...

Broken Age - 8.25/10

Zyd6rPH.jpg

I'm someone who came to the game after the second act was released, as I hate episodic/fragmented releases. Rather than build any sort of suspense and such like a TV show, it just leaves the game feeling disjointed and stretched out. The 15 or so months they made people wait for the second act of the game was definitely excessive, especially when the act was largely recycling assets and the such. Though as someone who avoided the process, it didn't bother me in the slightest, lol.

Though I think people's feelings were compounded by that frustration, the second act is not anywhere near as bad or mediocre as people make it out to be. By that same token, the first act isn't quite as good as it was praised of being. All I'm trying to say is the idea that the game was a massive let down, or a total source of blown potential doesn't really sit well with me.

It's kind of hard to comment on the gameplay in a point and click adventure, other than to judge the flow of the game. A lot of mediocre ones have you sitting and clicking on everything on screen, and attempting to combine every item in your inventory. A bad one would proceed with steps absent of logic. It seemed like Broken Age really prided itself on the obviousness of it puzzles. It all seemed logical but incredibly "easy." There was very little struggle to find out what to do next.

One thing I've heard is that the puzzles went from well made to being frustration inducing in the second act. I can't say I agree with that. I had to consult a guide once in act 1, and again only once in act 2. I do feel like the last ship segment was a pain, but all things proceeding that were solved with the slightest amount of trial and error. I didn't feel any less or more gratified in solving things than I did in that first act, or at least the ratio between the difficulty and satisfaction wasn't skewed any. Maybe I'm just speaking as someone who has finished a lot more frustrating adventure games within the last year, but act 2 was far easier than essentially all of them.

The game is visually brilliant. The world you're in is well designed and thought out. The voice acting is top level. The animation is beyond what you'd expect from its cartoon stylized art. It all looks and feels as fluid as it plays. Jumping from one are and world to another and waiting to see what came next was probably the biggest joy I got from the game. What pissed a lot of people off about the second act was that they just recycled the same people and areas from the first one, and all I have to say to that is, so what? What did you think was going to happen at the end of the first act? It was directly implied that they would be stuck in each others worlds, and why would they waste all the great characters and actors they had from the first one. Everything was obviously unfinished and unresolved after the first act, and the opposite character fleshed out everything the first character left behind in retreading their steps.

As for the story. It wasn't too great, to be frank about it. I don't know what possible reveal there could have been that would have fixed it though, as I think the overarching plot was hinted at from the beginning. It's nor really anything in the execution so much as it was the basic idea being a bit bleh. I mean the first act didn't even have a plot, so there really wasn't anything to fumble. The inherent reveal was okay, just that the justification and reasoning behind everything didn't really make too much sense.

What does hold up though with regards to the storytelling is how it operates thematically, and with it's focus on individuals. Ideas of the truth, independence, growing up, and letting go. They all work well. I read the Rock Paper Shotgun article from the game's Steam news feed titled "Why Broken Age Act 2's story is an awful mess," and I couldn't disagree more, especially when he focuses so much on how the games thematic promises were entirely broken, as I think they were fulfilled just fine.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 8/10

The game really could have used a few more hours to flush out the story. It ended really fast and with too many unanswered questions

Mario Kart Wii 7/10

okay i am starting to revisit wii titles starting with this one and holy hell the last place items are brutal playing just on 50cc so far completed all 8 cups i probably get hit by a blue shell easily 3-4 times a race hit by lightning also 3-4 times a race then the pow box probably 1-2 times a race i spend must spend 1/3 of the race spinning out

another drawback is how cpu players seem to be able to get items quicker like i will be ahead of pretty much everyone i grab i box i spam the button to get it quicker but still i get it by a red shell or green shell or something before i even get my item

now i got all the negative stuff out of the way i do like the battle mode how it's basically unlimited lives you just lose 3 points off your score if you die it has a decent variety of tracks to battle and they are actual arenas

i like the half pipes that you can drive up and hit a button to give you a boost plus i guess i forgot about being able to drift for mini turbos in this one

the ranking system is a bit of a pain but it also makes it challenging to get 3 stars you basically can't even hit the wall or fall off i think hitting banana peels will hurt your ranking too i don't think shells do

next on my list will be actually getting through both twilight princess and wind waker after that metroid prime 1-3

How's the FF15 demo?

I haven't played it yet. I read it's getting a patch some that will be changing things, and I figured that I'd just wait until that

• 4 weeks later...

The Stanley Parable - It's not really a game so I don't want to rate it /10

I don't know if there's much to say about it. Most of lt is really clever, and I think it works better in theory as a thought experiment. than it did in its execution as game, in my experience with it.

I get what it's saying about things like the mundaneness of a steady life with an office job, freedom of choice, game design... But I didn't care. I think it did more so to annoy me than it did engage me in deep thought. I think I found and got through about 6 or 7 different endings before losing interest, and I can't see myself going back.

Just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order on PC. Pretty solid single player FPS 8.5/10. It could have been optimized better for PC, I had some minor frame rate drops even tho I exceeded recommended specs. Also there's not much difference between the 2 time lines, but overall a very fun and entertaining game.

The Witcher 3 - 10/10

Not really good at writing reviews, but great story, great gameplay, and great graphics. Having been a gamer for many years, this game actually is my favorite game of all time now. Everything about it, is... amazing.

Archived