The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate the Last Game You Played

Hat Trick Maker

Overwatch with a group - 8/10, w/o a group 4/10.

NHL 17 - I'll preface by saying I don't care at all about anything other than EASHL, drop in and general gameplay. Another year, another failure. I'll still buy it because I'm pathetic, but it's still NHL 13 like it has been for years. 4/10

On 02/08/2016 at 6:43 AM, Monty said:

@g_bassi13

Batman - A Telltale Game

Episode one came out last night. The intro scene was incredibly well done. Cutting back and forth between you playing as Batman and the same night later, playing as Bruce Wayne (sometimes in the middle of an action scene). It really showed the immediate wear and tear that living a duo life takes on the Caped Crusader.

According to Telltale, you can choose to play more of the game as Bruce or as Batman. However, I do not believe you had that choice in episode one, as the game is establishing your choices, setting up just "who" you want to play more as going forward. This isn't a bad thing at all for this episode. In order to setup just what type of person you are going to be, you have to establish your "Bruce Wayne" and your "Batman".

Telltale is really improving their game. In this one, the choices of Batman and, especially as Bruce Wayne, aren't as cut and dry; at least, they weren't for me. Alfred warns you very early on that you don't want Harvey Dent or Lt. Gordon figuring out who Bruce Wayne really is. So when I had to make a decision when I was playing as Wayne as to whether I wanted to publicly endorse Carmina Falcone (mob boss) for Harvey's mayoral campaign, I was incredibly torn. If I don't endorse him in private or in public, will this put a target on my back, causing people later on to think I'm Batman? If I do support him and take him down as Batman, would that mean that the "Wayne" family name goes down in shambles, but ensures that people do not believe me to be Batman? It's really tough. I will say that, in this episode, none of this has been answered yet. However, I know that it will be later on. Either way, Telltale has done superb job at setting up the world and your character.

Can tell that my choices will mean something as the game goes forward. Particularly two made in the beginning as Bruce and at the end as Batman.

Sounds promising. I'll probably wait a bit though, because as I've mentioned before I hate episodic releases for games. Would like at least 2-3 episodes before getting into it.

The interesting thing about a Batman game is that the potential in the narrative of that property. There's a lot off good that can come out of it, and the only game of the character's I've played that's made full use of it was Arkham City (other Arkham games aren't quite as up to snuff in that respect.)

I think Arkham City did as good of a job as realistically reasonable without in game choices to the story,  but a Batman story with an actual intercative narrative? Could be more important to being Batman than the gliding and fighting. It is for me.

Batman wasn't my favourite hero growing up, and he's not my favourite hero now, but like I said earlier, he has more potential than essentially all of then in this specific a medium.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this in the PS4 Thread, but it should also go here.

No Man's Sky - 4/10

I've put in roughly 20-25 hours, so I know the ins and outs. Crafted a number of items, purchased 4 different ships, learned a lot of the languages (yet still have loads to learn), and visited a number of the Atlas "anomalies". Point is, I've put in enough time to form an opinion of the game and, what it would look like SHOULD I put in another 25-30 hours.

This game is simple, in every way. The exploration gets repetitive very quickly and, for me, is very boring. Slower paced gameplay, and the idea of exploration games like this, are right up my alley. Not a big fan of FPS or games made for those with ADD, so the fact that this turned out to be an empty experience is a disappointment. I certainly applaud the developers for the sheer scope of the universe. However, the NPC's you meet offer little to no worth, the worlds you visit are one in the same, but with slightly different environments, and the plants/animals you meet and "study" look incredibly similar and offer nothing of interest (except material to craft more items).

What this game will become is one that future developers look at as the blueprint to future exploration games. Now, it could be argued that The Elder Scrolls, particularly Oblivion, set the blueprint years ago. In fact, one could go back a few years earlier and say that Knights of the Old Republic was one of the first major commercial games to offer this. However, unlike The Elder Scrolls games and KOTOR, No Man's Sky offers nothing of interest in both the story (incredibly uninteresting) and it's exploration of the worlds you visit, that there really isn't a reason to continue playing.

After typing this out, even a 4/10 seems awfully generous. However, I applaud the scope and the effort. Plus, I don't really like sh*tting on things where you can tell people put their blood, sweat, and tears into their work. Sometimes people phone it in, or the product sucks from the drawing board and never should have been carried through; in these cases, I'll have at it. But "Hello Games" really put in a lot here, and their effort should be noted.

All this said, I regret spending full price on it.

While it's not a particularly new game, I've been playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. The story is alright, but nothing amazing. The gameplay however, is extremely fun. They capture the element of making you feel like a boss and dominant very well, yet for your second play through (which I'm on right now) it also gets significantly more difficult. Would definitely recommend.

29 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

its probably gonna be free on the ps4 in a couple of years anyway lol

Meh, don't listen to this guy.. He is as qualified to judge this game as somebody who has only turned the key on a car judging its performance.. 20 hours is not enough to see the full scope of the game.

the problems with Monties review are

-not enough time spent in game

-expecting it to have a storyline or gameplay similar to an elder scrolls knockoff 

-not embracing the game for what it is.

-a clear lack of knowledge about sandbox games

sounds more like a review from a enraged fanboy than that of a grown adult TBH.

On August 21, 2016 at 5:29 PM, TheOgRook said:

Meh, don't listen to this guy.. He is as qualified to judge this game as somebody who has only turned the key on a car judging its performance.. 20 hours is not enough to see the full scope of the game.

the problems with Monties review are

-not enough time spent in game

-expecting it to have a storyline or gameplay similar to an elder scrolls knockoff 

-not embracing the game for what it is.

-a clear lack of knowledge about sandbox games

While all of this is false, this bolded part clearly indicates you didn't quite understand my review. I pointed out at first that games like this, which require an awful lot of patience and exploration are games I love. Me bringing up games like Elder Scroll or KOTOR weren't suggesting that I was expecting No Man's Sky to be those, or that I wanted it to be like those. What me bringing those up were that they not only had elements of exploration to a much smaller degree, but did it more successfully, as they also brought it back to a meaningful way to the story.

No Man's Sky is a pure exploration game, which is entirely fine IF the exploration is interesting and engaging. That is what I expected, that is what I was hoping for. In my opinion, as has been other people's opinions as well, the exploration feels very empty and doesn't feel different from one planet to another.

As for this part:

sounds more like a review from a enraged fanboy than that of a grown adult TBH.

At 34 with a kid on the way and mortgage to boot, I don't have time to be a fanboy of anything, except work.

EDIT: Also, we're all entitled to our own opinion. I'm disappointed with the game. Like I pointed out in my review, I applaud it's sheer scope and certainly will not sh*t on it, as you can tell that "Hello Games" poured their soul into trying to make something groundbreaking. Unfortunately, in my opinion, I feel as though they fell short on their goal.

You obviously feel differently, and you're well within your right to feel that way.

22 hours ago, Monty said:

No Man's Sky is a pure exploration game, which is entirely fine IF the exploration is interesting and engaging. That is what I expected, that is what I was hoping for. In my opinion, as has been other people's opinions as well, the exploration feels very empty and doesn't feel different from one planet to another.

I have put in about 25-30 hours in No Man's Sky as well and I concur with your assessment. The shine is wearing off and the game is feeling like "more of the same" no matter how much I explore new planets and systems. At this point I am just grinding my way to the platinum trophy. Which is really sad because I absolutely LOVED this game when I first started out.

Maybe I will give it a rest, allow the devs to hopefully release more content, and go back to Dying Light for a while.

What is being said about No Man's Sky is exactly why I was hesitant to buy it. I felt like it would get old very fast after a fun start.

A game I just recently purchased because of a Steam sale is Far Cry Primal. I've been wanting to try out the Far Cry series for a while now. I've only played 3 hours of it, but it looks to have some good potential. Feels like a mix of Skyrim and Assassin's Creed, though more like Skyrim.

Last game I finished:

pokemon y 9/10, really good game with few flaws. A bit too easy amongst other things.

Last played:

WoW legion pre patch 9/10, felt very similar to bc and all the content was fresh and rewarding.

• 1 month later...

way late to the 3DS world, but I'm loving the hell out of it. fun to play a bit before bed. 

luigi's mansion: dark moon: 8/10. I love the graphics, I love the music, the "heart" of it. But this game is EXCEPTIONALLY frustrating at times. The animations can get tedious, dying gets tedious if you have to replay a whole 20-minutes worth of progress. I dunno, this is a really good game, but I feel like it could be even better.

super mario 3d land: 9.5/10. ok, I confess, I'm still not 100% done this. I think I'm on 6-2 of the special section. but i'm going to give it a near-perfect score anyway. this game is fun as hell for me. the first main "part" (worlds 1-8) were not challenging, and I felt disappointed by it. i had 100% completion/stars without any issue. now that I'm on the special worlds, though, it got WAY more difficult, and even more fun. i love this game. 

• 1 month later...

I'm playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst on PS4. It's pretty bland/boring. The original is far superior for what it was. Highly enjoyable, but flawed. This reboot(?) does little to nothing to improve on it, and even kind of exacerbates a few of the problems it had. While adding its own flaws to the formula.

I'm borrowing the game, so i don't even know if I can see myself finishing it before I give it back.

I could go on and on about it, so I might later make another post. It's a problematic game. I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10 if I were rating it (the original was more like a 9, one of my favourite games).

Batman: Telltale Series

Three episodes in and it's just "ok". The story is interesting and the reveal in the third episode was really quite cool. However, and unfortunately because I love Batman, this Telltale game did not pick up on the strengths of where Borderlands left off. Can still turn it around though.

---------------------------

On another note, looks like No Man's Sky has not improved in the slightest since its release. Creator/developer has been getting destroyed from those in the industry and from those who purchased the game for many, many reasons. Not least of which was for misleading/lying about what the game was and continues to be.

NBA2K17 - 9.5/10

My god this is the greatest sports game ever.  If only they could make a hockey game like this.  The MyCareer storymode this year is so well put together.  Even if you are not that big of a basketball fan this is still an enjoyable game.  You create a player coming out of highschool and about to choose one of 8 college programs.  Then you play about 5 games to try and win the NCAA championship after you'll be asked to join USA's national team for a game.  After each game your draft stock is re-evaluated until draft day.  You get drafted along with a 24yo point guard named Justice Young who then becomes your teammate/friend.  There are a ton of cut scenes everywhere from answering interviews during the game to selecting your shoe endorsements.  Once you and Justice start getting chemistry on the court you are able to take control of both players and are able to switch back and forth between them making this a unique playing experience.  I am currently 35 games into the season and have never had a better time playing a sports title.  The gameplay is awesome though a little daunting learning all the controls(there are three different pass buttons) and the it is a grind getting your player ratings up(although you could buy them with $$$).  You are unable to sim games atleast where I am at so far although you can just play half a game and it'll sim the rest. 

A must have sports game. 

On 11/14/2016 at 7:56 AM, Tre Mac said:

NBA2K17 - 9.5/10

My god this is the greatest sports game ever.  If only they could make a hockey game like this.  The MyCareer storymode this year is so well put together.  Even if you are not that big of a basketball fan this is still an enjoyable game.  You create a player coming out of highschool and about to choose one of 8 college programs.  Then you play about 5 games to try and win the NCAA championship after you'll be asked to join USA's national team for a game.  After each game your draft stock is re-evaluated until draft day.  You get drafted along with a 24yo point guard named Justice Young who then becomes your teammate/friend.  There are a ton of cut scenes everywhere from answering interviews during the game to selecting your shoe endorsements.  Once you and Justice start getting chemistry on the court you are able to take control of both players and are able to switch back and forth between them making this a unique playing experience.  I am currently 35 games into the season and have never had a better time playing a sports title.  The gameplay is awesome though a little daunting learning all the controls(there are three different pass buttons) and the it is a grind getting your player ratings up(although you could buy them with $$$).  You are unable to sim games atleast where I am at so far although you can just play half a game and it'll sim the rest. 

A must have sports game. 

2K Series has always been great, I started playing them on Dreamcast in 1999 when it was SEGA Sports NBA 2K.

I wish they still made NFL 2K Games, 2K5 was one of my all time favorite Football videogames!

• 4 weeks later...

Dishonored 2 VST28XV.pngZyRzpQx.pngi96L89Y.pngi96L89Y.pngZyRzpQx.pngVST28XV.png/10

The first game is one of my all time favourites. This one was even better. 

There are some sequels that detract from the original. There are some sequels that try and shake things up to mixed results where the "improvements" detract from the flow, or from what made the original one unique. Then there are some games that are just superior because they one up the original in nearly every way. This is the latter.

It took a surprisingly long time to beat the game once, and I'm going to do it again to play the game a different way, and to find all the things I missed the first time.

Archived