The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate the Last Game You Played

Hat Trick Maker

I mean why not a review thread on games too, eh?

Game: Gone Home
Genre: First-Person Adventure
Platform: PC
Year: 2013
Developer: The Fullbright Company

Let me just tell you straight away that Gone Home is NOT a horror game. It may seem like I’m spoiling the plot, but in practice, I’m turning your expectation, if you ever play the game, to the right direction. The sole focus of the game is its story. When you finish the game, you either care about the story or you don’t; you either appreciate the whole experience or you don’t. Judging from the online user reviews, many fall into the latter category despite the overwhelming praises from the critics. And having finished the game, I can sort of understand the divide.

Gameplay-wise, Gone Home does nothing spectacular in terms of its technical execution. Many have come and done the same sort of interactive storytelling before and I’m sure there’ll be more of these for years to come. It’s a first-person adventure game with an interactive environment and that’s it. You simply poke around and play with everything you come across. And when you’re done with one part of the game, you move onto the next and so on. It’s very linear and there are no puzzles whatsoever to challenge you in the slightest.

gonehome_familyportrait.jpg

Missing: The Greenbriar Family

But the game stands out in the way the story is told, well, at least in contrast to what the main stream titles are doing. But this is not to say that its technique is unique among other forms of media, like film for instance. In Gone Home, you are Katie Greenbriar who has “returned” home after a year abroad—"returned" to a house that her family moved in after she’d left. You find no one at the doorstep to welcome you and the house eerily empty, especially in a dark and stormy night. Your goal, as a player, is to find pieces and bits of information, mostly personal writings, and put them together, not just to figure out what happened to your family in the past 12 months, but also to reconstruct their past and the personal stories involved. You have to go through a lot of reading materials, ranging from letters, newspaper clippings, memos, private notes passed between friends…etc. There are also subtle environmental clues to hint at certain events. That being said, to fully understand the story you must pay careful attention to the numbers, dates and names that you come across or you might overlook certain crucial information. However, the game will read you a diary entry whenever you interactive with certain objects, so you’re still learning the story without too much reading. But as they say, the devil is in the details.

steerpike_gonehome07.jpg

Like I told you, this is not a horror game.

Ultimately, the focus of the game, as I’ve said, is its story or more importantly, what the story is ABOUT. If you could somehow immerse yourself in the story, connect with the characters or even feel for them, Gone Home has done its job. If you had problem accepting what story is about or its subject matter in the first place, Gone Home may be the worst game you’ve ever played.

Do you recommend this game?

Gone Home is not a game for everyone, that’s for sure. If you're looking for some adrenaline-rushing, heart-pumping experience, stay away from Gone Home at all cost. But if you enjoy a well-written story (or are an English major) and have the patience reading mundane anecdotes, Gone Home may be of interest to you.

Personally, I do not identify myself with the characters in many important respects nor can I relate to the plot, but Gone Home succeeds in telling a genuine human story and that's what matters (even though I still hate games that require heavy reading). So did I enjoy playing the game after all? Well, let's just say that I've had a unique and interesting experience with Gone Home and I certainly don't regret playing it.

Past Reviews:

Metro 2033

Game: Metro 2033
Genre: FPS
Year: 2010
Developer: A4 Games

metro2033box_jpg(1).jpg

I have finally finished the game since I started it three months ago. Why three months? Well, because the game is the biggest offender when it comes to causing motion sickness. The culprit is not the framerate, but the game's native FoV (field of view) which is set to 45, comparing to the conventional 60. The narrow FoV makes you feel like your face is nearly pasted to the surface you're viewing, but what aggravates the problem is that the game environment is really dark (though not scary) and the flashlight only illuminates a very small area, making your FoV much worse.

metro-2033-2.jpg?w=450&h=281
You have to manually recharge your dimming flashlight every once in a while,
or your headache (in real life) will worsen.

The game tells a typical post-apocalyptic survival story, and it plays just like any other shootem-up in the past. The developer tried to implement some stealth mechanics into the game, but failed miserably. If you take more than one or two (silent) hits to kill an enemy, even if your execution is impeccable, every other enemy in the level is alerted to your presence, regardless of how implausible it seems. It didn't help that the only save you have is created from the last check-point, meaning if you screwed up something and hit an invisible check-point, you wouldn't have a second chance until you restart the playthrough. Who the hell still uses check-points to save your game on PC? (Okay, a lot of console ports still do, but this is stoopid.)

metro2033_thumb.jpg
There are some supernatural encounters that are
never explained in the game.

In a nutshell, Metro 2033 is a functional but generic corridor shooter that suffers from some technical and design problems that irritate the f outta me.

Do you recommend this game? No. At least not on PC.

I have a tendency to write very long winded pieces on how I feel about games (anyone that's read the Mass Effect 3 thread knows what I'm talking about, lol). I'll copy and paste a few I've written on other places recently, rather than rewrite them. I just posted this a few minutes ago about Sleeping Dogs.

Game: Sleeping Dogs

Genre: Open World Action Adventure

Platform: Played it on PC, but it's also on 360 and PS3

Year: 2012

Developer: United Front Games

65uyq8.jpg

I haven't finished the game, so I'll try and comment on the game as best I can.

One thing I'll say off the bat is that the game would have benefited from a choice based system, where you put your allegiances with either the triads or the cops. That's mainly because it give you a reason to sympathize with your triad buddies, even if you want to just be a cop. They play off it well enough that giving you a choice would have added an extra sense of depth to it all.

But as you could probably tell front he above statement, the story is quite good. The whole undercover cop thing has been done before, but they do it very well here. And despite the fact that the game does lack choices, it does follow a very logical progression so that it still works fine as is.

One of the things carrying it is the characters. They did a good job setting up a mesh of people, but the kicker is really the main character Wei Shen. He's pretty bad ass, and well voice acted. It's just fun being him.

Just about everything you do in the game makes you feel like the man. It's a feeling I don't often get in even my favourite games. It's tough to explain why exactly that is, or even use it as a legitimate plus for the game, but it's an intangible that seems to play a heavy part in my enjoyment of the game. Every other thing you do is just so boss.

I don't know about how accurately the game captures the essence of Hong Kong, because I've never been to Hong Kong. But whatever it is that it captured is quite awesome. It's a vibrant and lively world in this game. The places you see, the people you run into, I like it all.

It carries a level of cheese that would make it less serious then GTA IV, which is perhaps for the better. And for comparison's sake, it's a lot better than the crap that was Saints Row 3, in most every way.

You can cause all the kind of chaos you want when you are off duty, but when on a mission, you have to watch what you are doing. Which I think is the right kind of balance for a game like this.

There's a lot to talk about in the mechanics of the game, so I'll do that. The first thing I would probably mention is the combat. It's a sort of cross between Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum. It flows well, but not perfectly. What makes it work very well of course is the fact that it follows an action filmy martial arts style. Using Kung Fu to kick ass is always fun. Plus you can use specific pieces of the environment around you to put out an extra hurting when needed.

gaming_sleeping_dogs_01.jpg

The driving in the game is awesome by the standards of this open world subgenre. It just works, and driving in this game is actually fun, rather than a chore. The game takes enough pride in it's driving mechanics that it has actual street races that follow tracks set up around the city. And they work well. It's not going to stack up against actual racing games, but it's so much better than you would expect.

The gun combat is fairly basic, out side of the slow motion John Woo moments, which are pretty bad ass. It's the whole generic "hide under cover until you take out all the baddies", but it has a certain flair to it... which again is punctuated by the slow motion moments.

There's some cool parkour/free running in this game as well, which it tries to show off with it's chase sequences. Those are fine and all, but what's really fun is when you're using it to escape the cops in free roam.

And since I don't know where else to mention it, the game also has this feature it calls action highjacking in which you're jumping from one moving vehicle, into stealing another. It's about as awesome as it sounds.

ixbaet.png

Along with the earlier mention street races, it's not like there's a lack of things to do. There's a bunch of side objectives, along with weird side games like Karaoke, fight clubs and other random things.

So would I recommend it? To those that feel like it's something they wanted to skip, I don't think the game in actuality does offer anything that should change that. To those that already thought it looked like fun, I can't really see any way that you wouldn't have fun with it. It does just about everything right that it was supposed to.

A very solid game put out there by the guys at United Front Games.

Also side note: A very good port for PC users. It's a good game to test your system with, as you can up the setting to make it look really sweet. Plus there's a free high resolution texture pack for those that can handle it.

NBA 2k12

Platform - Xbox 360 (also on wii and ps3)

Year - 2012

Developer - 2K sports

Rating - 9.5/10

Extremely realistic for me - Be a player is awesome. Would definitely recommend.

Would also recommend. NBA 2K series is legit one of the best sports games there are.

Game: Dishonered

Genre: FPS

Platform: XBOX 360

Developer: Arkane Studios

Rating: 7.5/10

I have only logged about 2 hours into the game, but I just haven't been able to get into it like the reviewers apparently have. Could be because I have never been a huge FPS fan to begin with. If you are a fan of FPS, I wouldn't take my short review as an indication of how good the game actually is. If you are like me, however, and only have a mild interest in FPS games, I would not recommend to buy Dishonered. It won't change your current feelings towards the genre. Nothing new here.

• 2 weeks later...

Game: Deadlight

Genre: 2D Survival Horror Platformer.

Platform: PC, 360

Developer: Tequila Works

Rating: 4.5/10

I was perhaps surprised by how much I disliked the game. I didn't expect much from another zombie indie game, but based on what I had seen beforehand, it still managed to fail in every respect for me.

It's so incredibly pretentious. At first it just starts off with that grating narration but as it goes on, my god does the presentation of it all suck. It's so poorly written, but it's one of those things where the people who wrote it are convinced that it's genius. The voice acting is poor, but that's pretty irrelevant when the lines they were reading were as awful as they were.

It's just a zombie game, and all it does is tread the same ground that everything that came before it has. Although it's convinced itself it's doing something fresh and deep. So you're hit over the head with all that pretentious garbage. It wants to be a commentary on society as a whole and human nature, but it makes sure to pause and repeatedly tell you just what it thinks.

Even the gameplay is fairly flawed. As a part puzzle platformer, nothing achieved is satisfying. You could say when you succeed it's intuitive, but that's not really the case. It's either stupid easy, or just frustratingly difficult. Difficult not because it was intentionally so, but rather because of 2 things, the art design and the controls. With art design, I mean the visuals are nice, but as a 2D platformer, it's too hard to discern what's part of the game, and what's just scenery. The difference between what looks like foreground and background is just too blurred. You'll often just jump at things that aren't possible to hold onto, or be unable to figure out what to interact with because you don't know it's a part of the gameplay. And with regards to the controls, they're just awful. When you want to jump straight up, the game jumps you off a ledge to your death. You want to take a running jump, the game fails to recognize it and your jump falls short and you die. Melee strikes and gunshots often just pass through targets if you don't hit them at the right moment. Just awful controls.

And it touts how it's a survival horror game focusing on ammo conversation, which is true... except that there are rarely any situations where you even have to use your gun in the first place. Sure if you shoot every zombie you see, you'll run out of ammunition, but it's so easy to just avoid them. You can often climb atop a platform, draw them all to you. And when they're all gathered and unable to reach you, you just jump over them and continue onwards. And if you have an open ledge nearby, you can just drop down, or hang on the ledge itself, and the zombie will try to chase you right off the ledge as they fall to their deaths like a bunch of lemmings.

At $15 dollars, it's not expensive, but it's still poor value even then. The game is barely 3-4 hours long, and if I was to play it again, I'm sure I could finish it in just 2.

This thing so badly wanted to be like Alan Wake. I loved that game, but Alan Wake this was not.

Interesting ^^

That's pretty much exactly what I expected. A lot of people seemed hyped up because it was inspired by western-Canadian atmosphere, but there was really nothing about it that stood out to me as a video game.

I'm being harsh, but it's just not a good game. It's starts off alright, but it just gets worse as it goes along. It could have been better if not for the pretentious nature of the game. With all the good indie platforming games out there, this is one to skip.

Game: NHL 12

Genre: Sports

Platform: PS3 (XBOX360)

Year: 2011

Developer: EA Sports

Rating: 3/10

Long loading screens, random crashes during gameplay, lose connection to the servers during online play. Some Player Boosts won't unlock during Be A Pro, there is a workaround but it includes simulating half a season or an entire season getting placed in the AHL. And I know it has nothing to do with the developers but a few online players use lag switches making it almost impossible to play.

Kind of sad that they just don't care, add more stuff, Legends, etc. and not fix known issues.

Just gonna review the recent games I've played the past week... I suck at writing reviews...

Game: Bastion

Genre: Action RPG

Developer: Supergiant Games

Rating: 38/40

Presentation: 9/10

+ Great story

+ Easy to use menus

+ Leaderboards

Gameplay: 9/10

+ Hack and slash

+ Various weapons, and skills to choose from

+ Idols ramps up the difficulty

+ Leveling up is fun

- Hack and slash

- Some of the idols are too damn hard...

Graphics: 10/10

+ Pretty much everything is amazing, especially with the world forming underneath the kid.

Sound: 10/10

+ Amazing soundtrack

+ Narrator is excellent. I want him to narrate my life.

+ Great Sound effects

Verdict:

Awesome game. Must buy. Definitely my favorite indie game of all time.

--------------------------------------------

Game: Minecraft

Genre: Sandbox

Developer: Mojang

Rating: 34/40

Presentation: 8/10

+ Easy to use menus

+ Decent UI

+ Mods

- No tutorials, which makes it really complicated for newcomers

Gameplay: 10/10

+ Create whatever the f*&$ you want

+ Do whatever the f*#$ you want

+ Starting out is the best

+ Mods galore

- Mobs are too easy, at times...

- still a lot of glitches, but none are really game breaking

Graphics: 7/10

+ Default graphics aren't that bad... Besides, if the game looked amazing, then not many people would be able to run it on their systems.

+ Can look amazing with mods (shader mods and such)

- Graphics won't appeal to everyone, even with mods

- Can't really build rounded objects

- Some graphical hitches that are annoying

Sound: 9/10

+ With the 1.4 update, a lot of awesome new sound effects

+ Mods

- Rare sound glitches

Verdict:

Already unlimited gameplay, even without mods, with mods; it's insane. Must buy.

-------------------

Game: Guild Wars 2

Genre: MMORPG

Developer: ArenaNet

Rating: 37.5/40

Presentation: 9/10

+ Easy to use menus

+ Great UI

+ Great mini-map

+ Awesome dev team, that interacts with their fans on a daily basis

- Was buggy as hell, but that's been fixed

+ Best looking MMORPG ever (yes, even better than Tera online)

- Requires a good PC in order to set the graphics on it's highest

Sound: 9/10

+ Voice acting is sometimes so bad it's good

+ Awesome soundtrack

+ Awesome sound effects

- Voice acting is terrible at times

Gameplay: 9.5/10

+ You get awarded for pretty much everything. Literally.

+ Trolls are pretty much non-existent (in PVE), since there's no "ks'ing". Everyone will get awarded for killing a mob.

+ World vs World (Server vs Server vs Server) is amazing. It could take hours just to take down an enemy stronghold

+ PVP arenas are fast paced, and yields great satisfaction.

+ Combat system is somewhat unique. Every weapon has their own skill set.

+ Subscription free. So you're not obligated to play this game 24/7.

- Bots galore

- Trolls in PVP areas

- I get bored of MMORPGs very easily.

- In WVW, if your server is unorganized, it makes it somewhat unbearable.

Verdict:

I've played numerous MMORPGs, and none of them have had the lasting appeal that Guild Wars 2 has. It's a must buy if you're a fan of MMORPGs.

-----------------------------

Game: League of Legends

Genre: Moba

Year: 2009

Developer: Riot Games

Rating: 32-33.5/40

Presentation: 8/10

+ Easy to use menus

+ Developers really interact, and listen to their fans on a daily basis

+ Able to spectate your friends, or high level players

+ Good UI

+ Not a pay to win format, like most free to play games

+ Free to play

+ Amazing competitive scene. With the most recent tournament handing out $1mil as a grand prize, and another mil separated amongst the other teams (forgot how many teams there were...)

+ Freakishly large fan base. 8million people watched the season ending tourny online, with a sold-out stadium.

- DOTA 2's spectator mode is far more superior

- Adobe Air is terrible.

Gameplay: 8-9.5/10

+ I personally think it's the most superior MOBA game out there

+ Not overly complex at lower level of play, but can increase greatly as you get better, and play with better players.

+ No denying opponents creeps is actually great.

+ Amazing experience when paired with great teammates

+ The new honor system has reduced the trolling amount a bit...

+ New champion every two weeks

+ You can basically unlock everything without spending a dime.

- Trolls trolls and more trolls

- The trolls can seriously ruin the whole game

- Can turn off some people who are used to the overly complex gameplay of DOTA. ie denying creeps

- A lot of the pro players are immature, and are very unprofessional. Which can damage the esport scene.

- Your real life money can disappear real quick if you're addicted to collecting skins. Since the skins are so expensive.

- Too much focus on releasing a new champions

- Only one map that is worth playing. All others pretty much suck.

Graphics: 8/10

+ It does it's job

+ Devs are constantly upgrading their older champions, and maps.

+ Can run on almost any kind of System.

- A lot of the older champions are just plain ugly

- Won't appeal to everyone.

Sound: 8/10

+ Same as graphics. It does it's job

- Some champions voices/sound effects could be improved, but that will come in time.

Verdict:

I've never stuck with any other game longer than I have with League of Legends. Worth giving it a shot; since it's free, but be warned of the trolls.

-------------------

The End.

I told you I suck at writing reviews...

Uncharted 3:

If I could give it 11, I would. Anyone who has played the game has stood in awe of the graphics (especially desert levels.) The level of detail is insane. Small things like water slowly drying of Nate's clothes to sand being stuck in his hair and gradually falling off, putting you hand on a wall as you walk around a corner to a subtle stumble in the sand, the little things in this game complete it.  

Single-Player Gameplay: 10/10

Combines great climbing and stealth that reminds one of Assassin's Creed and shooting elements that are like a 3rd person CoD, plus a great ammo system. Big "WOW" moments abound, from escaping a collapsing underground city to being sucked out of a plane mid-flight.

Story: 10/10

A great story that focuses on what Nate is willing to put his friends through for his own pride. Nate really distiguishes himself from just another Indiana Jones rip-off. Voice actors perfectly pull it off.

Music: 9.5/10

Great music that matches the game perfectly.

Multiplayer:  9.5/10

A huge improvement over UC2's, UC3's is one of the best ever.

Overall rating system

Graphics worth 25%

SP Gameplay worth 30%

Story worth 25%

Multiplayer worth 15%

Music worth 5%

Overall Rating: 9.9/10

One of my favorite games, probably one of the greatest games ever.

Game: The Walking Dead Game

Genre: Adventure

Platform: PC, 360, PS3

Developer: Telltale Games

If I wrote out all my feelings on it, it would take a while, so I'll just summarize it with some ratings.

Episode 1: 9/10

Episode 2: 8/10

Episode 3: 1.5/10

Episode 4: 8.5/10

I'd recommend the game strongly if the 3rd episode didn't suck as much as it did. It's not just simply bad, but it makes the first two episodes utterly pointless with it's actions. Undoing those choices and making sure there's only one exact story going forward with no variables, which is unacceptable for a game pretending to be about choices. All that while trading the style of carefully crafted stories and replacing it with a bunch of useless shock emotion.

Went from being a unique gaming experience with so many possibilities to being a very generic adventure game with a crappy story. The 4th episode is as great as it could have been considering the circumstances, but it couldn't undo the damage the 3rd episode did to the game.

Overall a 6/10 for now, with a recommendation to avoid the game. If the 5th episode pulls off a miracle, I could change my mind on that.

Game: The Walking Dead Game

Genre: Adventure

Platform: PC, 360, PS3

Developer: Telltale Games

If I wrote out all my feelings on it, it would take a while, so I'll just summarize it with some ratings.

Episode 1: 9/10

Episode 2: 8/10

Episode 3: 1.5/10

Episode 4: 8.5/10

I'd recommend the game strongly if the 3rd episode didn't suck as much as it did. It's not just simply bad, but it makes the first two episodes utterly pointless with it's actions. Undoing those choices and making sure there's only one exact story going forward with no variables, which is unacceptable for a game pretending to be about choices. All that while trading the style of carefully crafted stories and replacing it with a bunch of useless shock emotion.

Went from being a unique gaming experience with so many possibilities to being a very generic adventure game with a crappy story. The 4th episode is as great as it could have been considering the circumstances, but it couldn't undo the damage the 3rd episode did to the game.

Overall a 6/10 for now, with a recommendation to avoid the game. If the 5th episode pulls off a miracle, I could change my mind on that.

Didn't like how

Carley

had to die? or the fact that all the characters are unlikable maybe with the exception of the kid. Regardless, I love this type of game, but the yeah, wish the story would be better. Who knows, maybe you get to be Clemmentine at the end, and shoot yourself. Heard there's going to be season 2 of that game. Heavy Rain FTW. I don't like these type of games that should be based on the story to drag on. Too much, can ruin it.

Didn't like how

Carley

had to die? or the fact that all the characters are unlikable maybe with the exception of the kid. Regardless, I love this type of game, but the yeah, wish the story would be better. Who knows, maybe you get to be Clemmentine at the end, and shoot yourself. Heard there's going to be season 2 of that game. Heavy Rain FTW. I don't like these type of games that should be based on the story to drag on. Too much, can ruin it.

Essentially that with the death. At least in the sense that it sums up everything wrong with episode 3 in a nutshell. It was a major choice at the end of the first episode, and turned out to mean jack all. And that goes for every single decision you make from the start of the game until the third episode. The game just decides it'll do whatever the hell it wants, and the entire premise of the game is nothing more than a sham. Nothing you did mattered at all, and that extends to the narrative as well.

It's like they hit a giant reset button halfway through the game and the story, and you just can't do that. The episode both takes away essentially every choice you've made to this point, as well as crushes any forward progress and potentially interesting directions they could have taken (both the directions you imagined it could have taken, and the direction the game itself was implying it was taking.)

- "Hey it looks like this game is going to make me choose from one of two love interests." Nope, you get neither.

- "Man it's tough how they're setting up having to choose between siding with Lily or Kenny." No, it turns out the whole thing was just a load of crap and Lily just disappears.

- "I like how the game is setting up the idea of choosing who you want to live in dire circumstances, while showcasing what they might have to offer." Lol no, they kill whoever the hell they want, whenever the hell they want and nothing is up to you.

- "I wonder what impact my choices are going to have." None. Now shut up and go enjoy you piss poorly written episode.

I would say I was enjoying the story quite thoroughly through the first two episode. It had a lot to do with how it approached player interaction. It gave you ideas. It presented you with characters along with their backstories, and then it spent the entire time building on these narratives, and presenting opposing sides to each story. And then it gave you a choice. And that's where the power of the story came from. It's forcing you into decisions between life and death. It's your story and it gives you a chance to mirror how you would deal with these circumstances.

Episode 3 comes along, ignores (and undoes) this, instead opting for a storytelling mechanic along the lines of "Bang bang bang. Everyone you liked is dead. Now cry." It's cheap, it's lazy, and it involves not using the tools previously presented by the game.

Episode 4 re-establishes what episode 1 and 2 were trying to do, which is great. And it does it well. But the problem is that it's working on the ashes of what was previously established. Like what's the point? I mean there's no value in replaying, which should be the absolute opposite case in a game like this. I mean if you like crapty linear stories with no purpose then by all means dig into the game.

As I said earlier, if by some miracle episode 5 comes along and retroactively undoes all the damage that the 3rd episode did, then I would recommend the game again. But as it stands, no. Despite having 3 great episodes out of 4 it's still poor, pointless, and one dimensional.

Like you, this is my type of game, but it has to be done right. When the premise becomes a lie, it should be treated like a lie.

Archived