The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

Luongo to Tampa makes the most sense. Lindback has 38 games of NHL experience with mediocre numbers given the team he was playing for.

To Vancouver

Malone

Garon

Connolly

To Tampa

Luongo

Raymond

Vancouver gets size up front, a good young BC boy and a solid experience backup. Tampa gets their elite number 1 defenseman and a speedy forward who could be a 20-25 goal scorer in the eastern conference. Salary wise it works out well too.

Luongo to Tampa makes the most sense. Lindback has 38 games of NHL experience with mediocre numbers given the team he was playing for.

To Vancouver

Malone

Garon

Connolly

To Tampa

Luongo

Raymond

Vancouver gets size up front, a good young BC boy and a solid experience backup. Tampa gets their elite number 1 defenseman and a speedy forward who could be a 20-25 goal scorer in the eastern conference. Salary wise it works out well too.

To Vancouver

Malone

Garon

Connolly

To Tampa

Luongo

Raymond

The OP made some very good points about the many factors involved, but very likely the new CBA and its cap will be the biggest deciding factor in if and to whom we trade Luo.

Personally, I think we should keep Luo and use a more equal tandem. Instead of the wear and tear of being a traditional starter, they could split the number of games pretty equally or on an earned start basis. Alternating play should keep them both in shape enough to not see a significant rise in injuries, but in the event of an injury we'd still have a good starting goalie in net and not forced to rely on an unproven backup.

With an equal tandem, there would be less pressure on both goalies as neither is solely responsible for carrying the team. To hopefully bring out their best, the coaches could set up a friendly competition between them to earn starts. Assign certain games important to one of them for some reason (i.e. home towns, etc.) but leave all others up for grabs. Get a shutout, earn a start. Make more than 30 saves in a game, earn a start (and dinner from the D). Plus, we'd have the added bonus of teams not knowing too far in advance which goalie they'll be facing.

But, my wish aside, under the new CBA we just might not be able to afford Luo anymore. :(

Lindback has size and skill...but unfortunately, he also has Adult On-set Stills Disease. It's surprising he can play at all, even with heavy painkillers.

I wouldn't bank on Lindback being able to carry a starter's workload on a regular basis. But he'll probably be a great 1A in a tandem.

Personally, I think we should keep Luo and use a more equal tandem. Instead of the wear and tear of being a traditional starter, they could split the number of games pretty equally or on an earned start basis. Alternating play should keep them both in shape enough to not see a significant rise in injuries, but in the event of an injury we'd still have a good starting goalie in net and not forced to rely on an unproven backup.

For many obvious reasons, the two goalies would not be interested in this.

It's why Philadelphia needed to decide between McNabb & Vick, San Diego needed to decide between Brees & Rivers, New England had to decide between Bledsoe & Brady, etc. You can't have guys "alternating", it simply will not work.

Money, for one. Schneider wants to be a number-one guy and will want to be put in a position where he'll be paid like one. Alternating with Luongo, who is already paid like a number-one guy, will not get him there.

And even Luongo, he won't want to spend the next 10 years being the media's whipping boy as the half-starter who's paid like a franchise player. It's not a good situation for anybody.

How does money come into play? Schneider already signed his 3-year deal and Luo's signed until like 3089 or something. Even assuming my proposed solution wasn't just a one year deal but instead worked well enough to be used over the entirety of Schneider's deal, he'll still play 40+ games a season. Assuming his numbers hold, or even improve, what team wouldn't think he looks like a reliable, big salary starter and real team player?

When did you have that conversation with Luongo? Because I'm pretty sure in a recent interview he said he was willing to come back and play for Vancouver. He always only said that he didn't want to be in Schneider's way and would do whatever the team asked him to do. So, if the team asks him to stay why wouldn't he? And, as competitive as he is I have to think staying and sharing the starting position on a Cup contending team would be preferable to getting to play more but on a team that only ever sees the playoffs on TV.

As for the whipping boy part, well, how would that be different than the rest of his time in Vancouver?

It is obvious that Luongo wants to go to another team. He goes on Vancouver talks shows to talk about how he wouldn't mind playing in city X. If Luongo wanted to stay in Vancouver, he would be staying. There would be no trade rumours about him because he has the NTC. It would be Schneider who is traded.

Use common sense.

And Luo has repeatedly said he likes playing here and would be happy to play here. Of course when people ask him about how he'd like to play for other possible cities he'll answer the question. He's a professional. That does not equate with "Get me out of here. Common sense says I never want to play for Vancouver ever again."

What do you expect him to say? Honestly.

And do you really think that the Canucks would've signed Schneider to a $4M contract to "share the duties" with their $5.2M guy for the next 3 years? $9.2M allocated to their goalies? Think about it.

Luongo's as good as gone, not sure how this is even a debate. Look at his Twitter avatar, for crying out loud.

You said that we "might" not be able to afford Luongo, and then you went on to defend your "equal tandem" assertion for a few posts. It just wouldn't work. I'm not trying to be snarky, but Vancouver needs a clear separation between starter and backup.

Pretending the decision on whether or not Luo or Schneider is the starter was up to Luo's personal preferences is far from common sense.

People started saying that Schneider was going to be Vancouver's starter after he got the last 2 starts in the playoffs last year. People said Luo should go because it was Schneider's time, especially given that Schneider's contract was up. Given the constant pressure and media attention over how "Schneider had seized the starter position," Luo said he thought it might be time to move on but that he would do whatever the team wanted. And in order to do whatever the team wanted he said, if they wanted, he would agree to waive his NTC. It's not common sense to hold that against him as proof that he doesn't want to play here as opposed to proof that even now he's team player.

And Luo has repeatedly said he likes playing here and would be happy to play here. Of course when people ask him about how he'd like to play for other possible cities he'll answer the question. He's a professional. That does not equate with "Get me out of here. Common sense says I never want to play for Vancouver ever again."

I never said that it was up to Luongo if he was the starter or not, I said that if wanted to stay Gillis couldn't trade him. The only option Gillis would have is waivers, keep both goalies or trade Schneider.You are making assumptions on Luongo's reasoning. I never said he wasn't a team player. I assume as most people do is that Luongo's main preference is to be a starter on the Canucks if not on another team.It's funny how you think he is realistically saying he would love to stay in Vancouver (even if it's as a backup) but he's just being curteous when people ask him if he would waive his NTC to go to city X. You have very selective logic that is not held at a consistent standard.Common sense is Luongo wants to be a starter. These trade rumours started when Schneider got the nod before Luongo. Your argument is flawed and inconsistent.

Archived