The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

^^^

I like Marleau too, but I think he's done in San Jose.

Cap may be going down, and yet San Jose has over 36.7 million tied up in an aging forward group. If they want to upgrade anywhere, they will need to cut some of that. I don't think it will be Thornton, and Havlat waived his NMC to go there not long ago. Most of the rest of the guys are far more affordable.

I made a post in one of these Luongo threads on how similar his situation was to Marleau. Former captain (stripped of the C), but has peaked. Incredibly consistent in the regular season, but completely hot-and-cold in the playoffs (money one series, completely ineffective the next). Meanwhile, a younger, cheaper player is already starting to outperform him (Couture). I think the Sharks will cut their cap and the drama, and start fresh, rather than trying to sell the same old gang to the fans.

10 years from now, are people going to remember the 2011 Stanley Cup final with the Canucks being devastated by injuries?

NO

They are only going to remember one thing, Boston winning the cup.... Scratch that, they are going to remember two things, Boston winning the cup and the cry baby riot in Vancouver after.

Florida not only has 35 and 36 year old average goaltenders, but their prospect Jacob Markstrom not only is injury prone, but is also struggling this season in the AHL - 2 and 6 with a .892 sv% - and fighting to keep the starting job in San Antonio as he's getting outplayed by the 30 yr old Grumet-Morris...

Luongo, Rodin

Bjugstad, Petrovic, Upshall.

Florida not only has 35 and 36 year old average goaltenders, but their prospect Jacob Markstrom not only is injury prone, but is also struggling this season in the AHL - 2 and 6 with a .892 sv% - and fighting to keep the starting job in San Antonio as he's getting outplayed by the 30 yr old Grumet-Morris...

Luongo, Rodin

Bjugstad, Petrovic, Upshall.

This is a very romanticized view of sports. The battered and bruised team, minus their star player "finds a way to overcome". More often than not, that team loses because they are battered and bruised and missing their star player.

Since when does the better team always win?

And why do you believe that people will simply state that Boston was the better team, which frankly isn't a true statement. It is an opinion. They might say Boston won the series, which would be a true statement.

To say that the Bruins won because they were the "better" team leaves open the question of why they were the better team. And if that question is asked, then everything is back on the table for discussion, like all of those excuses (others call them reasons) with which some people find so inconvenient to deal.

regards,

G.

Archived