The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

Nonsense. I'm about as convinced by your claim that the Canucks, depending on the return in this deal, could be on the verge of a rebuild as I am that the world is going to end in 9 days.

The word "rebuild|" in this context has literally no meaning.

Apparently you're an Oilers fan - you may wish that fate on Vancouver, but you could scarcely embellish your point any more than you have.

Petrovic, Shore, Upshall, 1st?

That's not unreasonable, Upshall has a bad contract (since they want some $$ coming our way), Shore isn't that great of a prospect (good but nothing special), really the things that hold most of the value for us in this deal are Petrovic and the 1st.

If Gillis doesn't get his stated "Impact player, top prospect, 1st rounder" then he is getting what he deems as less than market value for a player who was supposed to be a cornerstone of the Canucks opportunity of winning a Stanley Cup.

The core that was supposed to be bring a cup to Vancouver is already falling apart; Luongo wants out, Edler wants too much money, Kesler will never be the player he was, the Sedins are producing less.

If Gillis can't get maximum return for core members of the Canucks, the ship will start sinking faster than the water is being pumped out of it.

You sound like a Tony Gallagher doomsday type - except that being an Oilers fan, you'd be more comparable to Spector, who loves to troll the Canucks....although he wouldn't make such ridiculous claims as these.

The "core is falling apart" takes embellishment to an all new level.

"Fallen apart" into SCF game 7, and then pick themselves up to repeat as President's trophy winners. If the core didn't do that, obvioulsy the periphery is gdamn outstanding as well.

Not much of a case for a rebuild. Hard to take this stuff seriously tbh.

I disagree with this common characterizaion of Upshall as a cap dump or a bad contract - Florida is a tight budget/salary team, which is the only reason I think a guy like Upshall could be available at a devaluation.

His 3.5 million cap hit is very reasonable for a guy who scores at a 20 to 30 goal pace throughout his career, and does a lot more than score. His downside is not his contract but his health - and when he's not healthy, his cap hit does not apply. He's a guy who could be a third piece in a deal but if playing could potentially be a serious impact roster player, particularly when you consider the types of players he could line up with as team-mates. Imo there are few better risks out there to take.

They don't think it's fair, or else they would make the trade. They think that Nick Bjugstad is more valuable than Roberto Luongo. That's what their message is. So I have no idea how you think that Shore, Petrovic, Upshall, and a 1st would get it done, unless you think Florida would rather have Bjugstad than that package, too.

Archived