The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

I've seen how many times you've stated that Florida is pathetic, that you don't believe they are very good...

Now... no problems eh?

Yes, division champions.

But 36 year old starter who is a UFA in 6 months.

35 year old backup who has a year left on his contract.

That most highly regarded prospect is injury prone - and the problematic is that it is his knees that are the challenge. I've heard how many times it has been questioned whether Schneider could be another Mason - well Markstrom is nowhere near a guaranteed NHL starter.

I think what you might be evidencing is that Upshall is a player whose value perhaps is generally not realized.

Which is what I think makes him a good target as an add-in with allegedly 'negative' value ('cap/salary dump') - when in fact he is a good risk and could be a serious steal in a deal - and the type of player he is would fit very nicely with Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen...

Indeed it does. If Luongo is so old (not that old), has so many years left on his contract, and apparently is willing to play through the entire length of his remaining contract (or so you assume), and has the cap hit which it does (which is not that bad), and considering all of the other issues, both real and imagined ...

... why would Tallon have picked up the phone in the first place?

This is a point I have raised before, and I do not recall seeing an answer from you. Getting Luongo at some kind of fire sale price would not remove any of these concerns. How would Luongo going to Florida for just even a cap dump contract do anything to solve the concerns you have raised? His contract would still have the same length remaining. The cap hit would remain the same. Luongo would still be 34 years old.

So, if the goaltending situation in Florida isn't that bad, and they don't need Luongo, why did Tallon even enter the discussion?

I can grasp it just fine. I can understand why Florida would want to acquire Lou. I'm saying that it's not essential and I'm also saying that they probably won't be eager to pay very much, since they know that Gillis has to get rid of him, and they have a very reasonable alternative path to take. It's you guys who simply aren't looking at it from the other side, and with blind faith in everyone's apparent desire for Luongo.

Example, Smashian calls Florida's current goaltending tandem "old and declining", yet Clemmensen's about 1.5 years older, and even Theodore is only about 2.5 years older. Not much of a difference, is there?

Luongo still has more time remaining in his prime than both, but the difference is (And it is a huge one) Luongo is much much better than both of them.

Luongo's game in 2 years will be better than Theodore's was 3 years ago, and probably better than Clemmensen's has ever been.

Archived