The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

Once again, if Luongo has a bad contract, how would getting him for even a low grade prospect (a contract for a contract trade) do anything to off-set all of these negatives? You acknowledge that Luongo is a good player, but that is not the point to which I am seeking an answer from you.

You talk about the cap hit, the actual salary payments, the term remaining on the deal, Luongo's age, heck, we could even toss in that he got the Canucks to game 7 of the finals and didn't win the Cup. All of that stuff makes Luongo not a desirable guy to pick up.

Assume Tallon said he'd give a guy who was the Panthers 9th round pick from 4 years ago for Luongo, and Gillis said yes. Does Luongo's term get shorter? Does his cap hit go down? Does Luongo get younger? Does his take home pay shrink?

How does Tallon trying to get Luongo at a fire sale price reduce the impact of all of these negatives? And frankly, just because they wouldn't have to give up much of anything to get him isn't a very good answer. Do you have any others?

On the other hand, you talk about how viable these guys are - Florida has Theodore and Clemmenson - they don't really need Luongo - so clearly a guy who is 36 years old is a reasonable starter, and probably will be for another few years, when he'll be 38. Undermines your insistance that Luongo's age and term is such a problem, doesn't it. Luongo in 5 years will be 38, and at the end of his real contract / into the cap circumvention years - when his salary drops off to 3.3, 1.6, 1.0 and 1.0 million...

That's hard to say. On one hand, Theodore and Clemmensen backstopped the Panthers into the playoffs, something which Luongo couldn't do. On the other hand, Luongo has far more impressive regular season stats in his career.

Theodore is past his prime and Clemmenson is pretty much a career backup. I think Luongo is better than both of them but Theodore has a much more impressive trophy case. If Theodore played for the Canucks over the last couple of years I think he could post Luongoesque statistics, and maybe better in the playoffs.

The "certain price point" for Florida could include Bjugstad. The reason the trade hasn't been completed already might be a combination of Tallon (or other rival GM's) waiting to see what happens with the new CBA, and whether he can sweat Gillis into giving them a fire sale price for Luongo (something I do not see happening). It is only your stubborn inability to acknowledge this possibility (and perhaps a belief on your part that, since you would not do this, therefore no one else would do this) which keeps you harping on and on.

Archived