The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

For what you guys were proposing, yes. IE, a hockey trade. Back in the day, I recall SJ taking somebody off of NJ's hands, maybe it was Vladimir Malakhov, and NJ effectively game them Malakhov and a 1st, for something totally immaterial (conditional pick maybe). NJ did that solely to take Malakhov off of their payroll. Philly would need to do something similar with Bryz, at this point.

Oh, OK. So neither you nor Smashian Kassian see the value - cap space - in having one contract expiring in 2014, versus the other one expiring 6 years later.

Bryz proved what he is last year; an average goaltender who's stats were inflated playing in Phoenix's system (like Smith's are today), and, worse, he's a loudmouth and a headcase. Give me Komisarek with a contract expiring in 2014 over Bryzgalov with a contract expiring in 2020 very easily.

Oh, OK. So neither you nor Smashian Kassian see the value - cap space - in having one contract expiring in 2014, versus the other one expiring 6 years later.

Bryz proved what he is last year; an average goaltender who's stats were inflated playing in Phoenix's system (like Smith's are today), and, worse, he's a loudmouth and a headcase. Give me Komisarek with a contract expiring in 2014 over Bryzgalov with a contract expiring in 2020 very easily.

:picard::sadno:

His stats weren't all that impressive in Phoenix either way, he had one impressive season, maybe 2.

Smith's stats were not inflated due to Phoenix's system, I'm pretty sure everyone in the Coyotes organization would agree. That was Smith, not there system.

now if I had to choose I might take Komisarek too, but that's not what this was about, if you needed goaltending badly and all you had to give up was an extremely overpaid plug, (Which is a positive in itself) I would do it. You wouldn't have to give up anything, it's risky but even if it doesn't turn out the level of preformence they would get is probably better than what they currently have.

I'd be willing to bet Philly would be happy to trade Bryzgalov for Komisarek straight up, and then go looking for a goalie. MG, is Lou still on the market???

But Toronto would rather trade Komisarek for nothing (and Philly could use him and it could happen) than take on Brygalov.

$50 mill, is expensive but that gives u something is apparently fine as Toronto's interest in Luongo indicates. $50 mill that doesn't is a much bigger problem.

Congrats King! You have just proved Lou's value?

"Struggled in his first year" isn't really a viable excuse when you're talking about a 31 year-old NHL veteran. Remember Keith Ballard? He was supposed to have "adjusted" by year two, was he not?

Bryzgalov's contract is wretched, a team killer. You rather being married to him, at that price, until 2020, versus Komisarek for 1.5 more years at $4.5M, really shows a lack of comprehension.

Do you realize how bad Bryzgalov was last year? More importantly do you realize how bad his contract looks right now? Philly took a huge risk by giving term and money and its backfired in its very first year. Komisarek no matter how bad, still has only a year left after this one. It should be an obvious choice which one you would rather have. Komisarek sitting in the pressbox for 82 games has more value than Bryzgalov does right now.

Archived