The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

I'm not the OP - presuming that this was addressed to me.

You and BUREV simply do not understand market dynamics. Waivers has been discussed for Luongo, according to Dreger. The fact that that's even being considered as an option should give you an indication of the type of offers that we've received.

But, you can also put your head in the sand and ignore that, or claim that Dreger has a vendetta against the Canucks, like others have. Whatever makes you feel better.

How does the Luongo Trading Theory 101 change if the salary cap end up around $64-$65 million? Do you still think you'll get a top 6 forward in return?

Also, it looks like for players with existing contracts over 5 years the players cap hit will apply even if they retire. So Luongo's cap hit stays the same for the duration of his contract. If this part of the CBA stands up it becomes 100 times more difficult to deal Luongo unless its for a similar contract (which would be difficult). Please, no Hossa for Luongo rumors, it's not happening.

How does the Luongo Trading Theory 101 change if the salary cap end up around $64-$65 million? Do you still think you'll get a top 6 forward in return?

Also, it looks like for players with existing contracts over 5 years the players cap hit will apply even if they retire. So Luongo's cap hit stays the same for the duration of his contract. If this part of the CBA stands up it becomes 100 times more difficult to deal Luongo unless its for a similar contract (which would be difficult). Please, no Hossa for Luongo rumors, it's not happening.

If what you say happens, there would be no value coming to the Canucks in exchange for Luongo.

I remember hearing earlier in the off season that Luongo was thinking about retiring in 6 or 7 years. That would leave a team paying for Luongo at a cap hit of 5.33 two years after he retires.

I'm not the OP - presuming that this was addressed to me.

You and BUREV simply do not understand market dynamics. Waivers has been discussed for Luongo, according to Dreger. The fact that that's even being considered as an option should give you an indication of the type of offers that we've received.

But, you can also put your head in the sand and ignore that, or claim that Dreger has a vendetta against the Canucks, like others have. Whatever makes you feel better.

I wonder what will happen to the buyouts? Maybe a team buys out a player like Luongo instead of letting him retire (assuming he isn't too far from retirement). If this clause goes through both Vancouver and Chicago stand to lose big time. But if Hossa remains relatively healthy he can be the next Selanne (different style) and play into his 40s. Maybe Luongo would be the next Broduer?

You believe what Lu said 6 months ago, tell me not to believe what he said just one month ago, and now your telling me I should believe what a reporter has to say. See the logical fallacy in that?

Either way, if MG declined a Lu for Schenn deal, he certainly wouldn't just waive Lu. He will either wait for the right deal, or just not trade him. There's no harm in keeping him on the team.

Archived