The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

which doesn't necessarily imply (look up what a necessary condition is) I eat human beings. That point has already been made by me so it doesn't need any further clarification. Your insistence on the issue only shows that you are trying to make an argument out of nothing (which demonstrates a lack of reasoning on your part as well). In turn, you've been added to my wall of shame.

/end discussion on this

Besides the point:

The absence of hockey does bizarre things to us Canucks fans.

Speaking more to the point:

Whether or not any of us support, condone, or practice trophy hunting

or eating non-human animals (first time I've heard this phrase, but then,

I apparently lack the required Masters in Philo/Animal Ethics to be familiar with this term)

is not really DB's problem in the same way that it's not our problem that he would desire that

we call Jesus "Lord."

This seems to be a case of us expecting DB to live according to values that he does not

share; and even furthermore; values that his society clearly does not share.

He has acted perhaps brutishly by some estimations, but legally, and for us to so

mercilessly berate him on internet is frankly, kind of embarrassing... and bullyish.

Is it right for us to expect a law abiding individual to set a standard higher than either

the law of the land or his own personal standards? I think not. That seems to be

infringing on his freedom.

If we want to discuss Peter Singer essays or discuss the different aspects of animal ethics,

that's one thing (although not really a canucks talk thing). But we seriously need to figure

out how to be more gracious with people who hold to values different from our own...

even when we're interacting on a medium like an internet forum where we need not fear real

life repercussions.

Perhaps if we were more gracious with the disagreeable aspects of other people's life choices,

they might be more inclined to allow us to use funny word choices without mocking us mercilessly.

P.S. To say that something is not necessarily entailed (ie. cannibalism) is not this same thing as saying

something necessarily not entailed... it leaves the door open... it remains possibly entailed. There are certainly better

ways to phrase your food choices. But then again, I say funny sounding things too. Including possibly

(or probably), the above post.

So like seriously, what's up with Luongo? Is he getting traded or what?

Now that it has dawned on the meat eating, anti Booth crowd that their position is untenable on account of hypocrisy (my compliments, it ain't always easy rubbing two brain cells together), the discussion has deftly turned to the question of public perception. Among his alleged shortcomings, he:

-
takes trophies (Men competing with one another? You don’t say.)

-
enjoys doing it (Is there an opposite aspect to hobby?)

-
partakes in a “rich man’s sport” ($ and surroundings underlie our choices. Revelation?)

-
shares his experiences with
interested
observers (Note the emphasis.)

By my rough estimate slightly over 50% of the respondents here are either pro Booth or indifferent to the affair. Given that CDC is mostly young--cradle to school PC edumacated crowd--it is safe to say that a comfortable majority of Canuck Nation see this as a non issue. And yes, the Canucks cater to more than the lower mainland since they market themselves as a provincial team.

If the activity in question is inherent in the behavior of man since time immemorial, and presently legal, then one would be well advised to check the source of your own negative perception. Was your upbringing that comfy; devoid of contact with nature and all that goes on? Bellyaching of few sports newsreaders, or net moral relativists, that persuasive?

Is it not interesting that while our society is inundated with advertising extolling our individuality (think the use of T-shirts in commercials, among countless others), genuine differences are being mercilessly expunged by PC pressure tactics everywhere one looks.

This seems to be a case of us expecting DB to live according to values that he does not

share; and even furthermore; values that his society clearly does not share.

He has acted perhaps brutishly by some estimations, but legally, and for us to so

mercilessly berate him on internet is frankly, kind of embarrassing... and bullyish.

Is it right for us to expect a law abiding individual to set a standard higher than either

the law of the land or his own personal standards? I think not. That seems to be

infringing on his freedom.

Archived