The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

It's not untenable. Your conclusion is in error because your premise is fallacious and your comprehension of the argument virtually non-existent at worst and mistaken at best.

There's in immorality aspect connected to killing for pleasure and an inherent unnecessary reason for someone who can provide themselves with more than sufficient sustenance of almost any persuasion to use the excuse that they're hunting for sustenance, which leaves the pleasure aspect back again front and center. It's inescapable. We know Booth hunts to get his rocks off, and his twitter pics and text clearly indicate as much.

By the way, he's not competing with a man, he's competing with an animal while holding almost every unfair advantage possible. That's not sporting, unless in the world of courageous hunter-warriors that is, and if so, then they're all the more pathetic.

But you keep on thinking that he's some mythic hero for taking out a helpless goat.

When I was twelve, I went hunting with my father and we shot a bird. He was laying there and something struck me. Why do we call this fun to kill this creature who was as happy as I was when I woke up this morning

Marv Levy

Hunting is not a proper employment for a thinking man.

Joesph Addison

Civilized life has altogether grown too tame, and, if it is to be stable, it must provide a harmless outlets for the impulses which our remote ancestors satisfied in hunting

Bertrand Russell

“Wildlife, we are constantly told, would run loose across our towns and cities were it not for the sport hunters to control their population, as birds would blanket the skies without the culling services of Ducks Unlimited and other groups. Yet here they are breeding wild animals, year after year replenishing the stock, all for the sole purpose of selling and killing them, deer and bears and elephants so many products being readied for the market. Animals such as deer, we are told, have no predators in many areas, and therefore need systematic culling. Yet when attempts are made to reintroduce natural predators such as wolves and coyotes into these very areas, sport hunters themselves are the first to resist it. Weaker animals in the wild, we hear, will only die miserable deaths by starvation and exposure without sport hunters to control their population. Yet it's the bigger, stronger animals they're killing and wounding--the very opposite of natural selection--often with bows and pistols that only compound and prolong the victim's suffering.”

Matthew Scully, Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Do you just survive on bread crumbs and water? Have you ever bought anything like a salad? If you have then don't you also think it is "ethically incorrect" since you are spending money that could be help save some starving children? I mean, I understand you get a kick out of your salad but what about the children? Do you just think about your own interest?

Please don't be so naive. He didn't wait who knows how long and pay who knows how much in order to go trekking into the Rocky mountains because he had a hankering for goat meat. He did it for the trophy of killing a mountain goat, much like he has done for all the other animals he's killed. The fact that he may or may not have eaten its meat post-kill has no bearing in what drove him to kill it in the first place.

Please don't be so naive. He didn't wait who knows how long and pay who knows how much in order to go trekking into the Rocky mountains because he had a hankering for goat meat. He did it for the trophy of killing a mountain goat, much like he has done for all the other animals he's killed. The fact that he may or may not have eaten its meat post-kill has no bearing in what drove him to kill it in the first place.

Do you fish? Is boating the same experience as fishing? Hiking is a destination. Hunting isn't. I was also an avid hiker, but the experience and goal is very different. That "poor animals" head on the wall and rug on the floor was also food in the freezer. Would you feel better had he thrown those parts out that we were not going to eat?

Silly me, I should have known that the real issue was hunting while smiling, rich, and maybe even white and Christian, eh? Why do I get the feeling that if his name was Livy something or rather you would not be chiming in?

What’s the core issue here: the activity, the state of mind while performing it, or the reason and circumstances that got him there? It never occurred to me, on account of my “non-existent comprehension” no doubt, that anyone would zero in on the surrounding stuff. Fine, we’ll see where this new found emphasis on “pleasure” and “immorality aspect” takes us.

We have it that Booth “getting his rocks off” from hunting is evidence of lack of scruples. That damns every professional or sporting hunter, trapper and fisherman who ever cracked a smile upon making a score. Then what of all the folks involved in the chain of preparation before the thing gets on your plate. How are we to quantify and assign immorality points at each stage? Remember, every step is necessary otherwise you don’t eat.

Thankfully, we have “Shooter” to tell us how to keep score. Rich, well-armed, posing with trophies while smiling, in no need of that particular sustenance, guys of Booth’s ilk = bad. Poor, wielding only butcher knives, trying to make ends meet, serious dudes punching in their shift cards at slaughter houses = good. Everybody else involved in prep work = maybe OK, so long as no pleasure was had while working.

If all that seems ridiculous it probably is. There is no moral aspect to be derived from man’s treatment of any animal, period. You consume and they get consumed. Even his best friend is perennially one wrong bite away from a trip to the disposal centre. Stress wise, wild animals tend to have it easier just prior.

Trying to ensure that they do not suffer and ending them swiftly when they do is about all that can be hoped for. Is there evidence of Booth acting otherwise? And rest assured that even that concise standard is not the norm in the Orient and probably lacks applicability in slaughter houses the world over.

Booth’s hobby is his own and it matters not whether he chases tail in bars as befitting a single guy, stays home and builds model trains, or scores big game during his free time. Most grownups don’t waste their time viewing these through an impossible to define morality prism. IT just IS WHAT IT IS.

Wanna save the world, Shooter? Learn to view every human activity, especially development and economy, from the standpoint of but two variables: 1) number of people, and 2) energy consumption per head.

It will wonderfully clarify all the BS surrounding "sustainable development" and other high sounding verbiage so beloved by the politicos and their corporate masters.

Focusing on Booth's hobby is something of a low hanging fruit. Calling for the elimination of the immigration department, demanding more edumacating of women (every year in school is a % uptick in kids not being born), welcoming more stealth contraceptives (estrogen) in the food chain, etc. is where it is at.

And we're you there with him when he planned the hunt? And the eating and use of the carcass has a HUGE thing since he didn't waste it and it didn't die without reason. It's not what one wants to do, but what one actually does that matters.

Does it offend you? Why do you care about his religious belief? I don't follow Christianity but him talking about it doesn't affect or bother me. Maybe you should stop being so uptight and judgmental. There is a reason the Canucks don't mind his hunting, it's good exercise, requires vigorous training, hand eye coordination, speed, stamina and strength and is an excellent way to prepare for the hockey season.

Nope, i don't. When I did, it was catch and release.

Did you primarily hunt for the kill or the food? Are you in an economically vulnerable situation where hunting meets your sustenance ergo basic survival needs? Again, why do you need to display any trophy if all you're after is the meat? Seems a bit disingenuous that you or your brother didn't go hunting primarily for the enjoyment factor. And yeah, if it was all about survival and eating for you guys then stick to the meat and toss out the ego symbol on the wall or the floor. Otherwise, accept that you and your brother kill for pleasure and just happen to eat the meat, even though you didn't 'need' it in order to survive, since you both earn enough of an income to sustain yourselves. Just admit that you kill for sport and the whole we're starving and need the meat is a bullsh*t cover.

What I find funny is how you justify killing a life because the population is sufficiently not near extinction or endangered as a requirement, like that is the height of morality on your part.

Are you actually trying to tell me that there are less forest fires now than previously?? Good grief, i've heard of grasping at straw, but that's ridiculous. And if goats did indeed starve and die, then would they not be used as food for their predator or other life that depends on the meat of dead carcasses? The whole hunter as 'environmental stewards' is bulls**t. Sport hunters are the first ones against introducing natural predators back into areas that feed on the same animals that sport hunters hunt. You introduce a balance of predator and prey, the numbers of both will balance out. The only problem to that is that if man tries to hunt on top of it, they throw the balance out of whack, which is why they're all for restocking the supply, but hate the competition.

So you're an aboriginal who was going through a ceremonial rite of passage? And if you're trying to equate how Booth uses the parts of a deer versus how natives do, you're kidding yourself, because you're not fooling me. There are virtually no similarities in how Booth hunts and why he hunts versus how and why First Nation's folk hunt.

The reason I focus on trophy hunter is because I recognize the immorality of their motivations, and the reason that I don't focus on those who do so for the necessity of sustenance is because I recognize the morality of their motivations.

The amount of money Booth spends on taxidermy and all the related costs for hunting, it doesn't seem like he actually has a fiscal or sustenance 'need' to hunt for his meat in order to 'put food on the table'. Seems to me Booth could put enough food on the table without having to take a life. But, i'd be willing to wage that food and survival isn't the primary motivator for Booth.

Oh, and I buy meat to eat, as a source of protein, when i don't use alternatives like lentils or soy products but I don't hang the package of the chicken breast on my wall after i'm done eating, nor do I go to the supermarket for the thrill of the hunt for packages of chicken breasts because it's such a rush to find a parking spot and get a good deal, nor do I post pictures on the internet when I finally get my hands on a 'family pack' of drumsticks, triumphantly posing with it like some supermarket Captain Morgan for all the world to see and laud me in my glorious......shopping for food.

People who speak out about killing animals are 'drama queens' or less manly men, but people who bear bait, or sit in trees luring some animal towards them are the real manly men. Or it's about the food, because Booth is a starving person who needs the meat from the killing of animals, but don't pay attention to the prized antlers on the wall or its skin on the floor, that's totally not what it's all about, even though he most likely displays it with such pride and prominence. Yeah....I totally buy that.

And, all pleasure seeking trophy hunters, like Booth, do by killing the best and biggest, is working against natural selection(something i'm sure he probably doesn't believe in). When you rob the animal gene pool of in a location of it's hardiest genes, you dilute the pool from which that species or that area of animals can select from in order to develop resilient offspring. It's an absolute shame that, because, they take away the best versions of those animals leaving the inferior stock to repopulate a herd of genetically inferior animals all because the big ones look 'the prettiest'. Yeah, real manly...big hero.

Archived