The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

Actually I think you're the one clutching at straws here. You pick and chose through what I point out and ignore the actual points. And don't actually answer any questions at all.

You are an expert on what every hunter, past and present, thinks and feels when hunting.

Did my brothers have to hunt to survive? No. We did enjoy hunting though and enjoyed the meat from hunting that we couldn't obtain without actually hunting it. I hate to break it to you, but animals are food. And as I pointed out, which you com pletely ignored, even those nature respecting natives took trophies from their kills. And why not? The only other thing to do with those parts was to dispose of them.

Whether a cow raised in captivity or a deer hunted, is not the result the same? A dead animal for food. The trophy from the cow being a leather couch. As you are the expert on morality perhaps you can explain how slaughtering a confined animal is morally higher than hunting an animal. I've already asked about this morality and am still awaiting an answer.

I've already explained wildfires twice. Go back and read it again. The explanation of how firefighting has affected the mountain goats food supply is there. Twice.

As to hunters opposed to predators, well I've never heard of that. Ranchers yes. In many cases predators were hunted out of areas due to bounties on their hides from ranchers. You predators see a ranchers stock as food as well. Easy food at that. To hunters even the predators is prey. I can tell you that cougar is quite tastie. Bear has too strong a flavor for my taste but makes quite a good stew.

Catch and relsease huh? Quite moral of you. Bait a creature, drag it against it's will buy a pointed barbed hook, pull it out of the water so it's suffocating, take a good look at it to admire it, twist the barbed hook back out of it's mouth, and release the terrified creature again. Sounds somewhat like torture to me. But you didn't kill it, so it's moral torture I guess.

Common sense - most people use theirs when they know they're getting under people's skin....especially if some of those people are the very fans who buy tickets to see you play. The problem for me is that, in reviewing DB's Twitter feed, it seems that he enjoys the fact that he riles others up as much as the hunt itself. He boasts about losing followers every time he tweets and, at times, almost mocks those who do find the pictures disturbing vs considering their take on things (there are 2 sides to this). So it's not so much that he hunts, it's the attitude surrounding the whole thing.

So if you're truly a hunter because you love to hunt, eat what you kill and simply don't care what others think - fine. As stated, I have family members on this side of things. But to have a defiant, in your face attitude about it is something else. The ego does seem to come into play a bit and that's a contributing factor in assessing likeability.

Lay low, do your thing, post your pictures if you must but, if confronted, try to at least show a little empathy to those who are sensitive to these things. Personally, I don't see much of that....

David Booth owes us no apology but, in that, we also don't owe him our undying support (just because he's a Canuck). I've been labeled a bit of a homer (with good reason), but do base my support of the players on their overall attitude as well as their hockey skills. So this one's a struggle for me....

Hopefully, they'll get back on the ice soon and he'll light 'em up and give me reason to sway to the other side. But so far, not so much....

(and I hear there's a charity game in town....he's obviously got his aim down to a fine art in hunting....maybe time to get on the ice with his brothers and work on his on ice shot instead of proving his point out there, in the wild?)

Common sense - most people use theirs when they know they're getting under people's skin....especially if some of those people are the very fans who buy tickets to see you play. The problem for me is that, in reviewing DB's Twitter feed, it seems that he enjoys the fact that he riles others up as much as the hunt itself. He boasts about losing followers every time he tweets and, at times, almost mocks those who do find the pictures disturbing vs considering their take on things (there are 2 sides to this). So it's not so much that he hunts, it's the attitude surrounding the whole thing.

So if you're truly a hunter because you love to hunt, eat what you kill and simply don't care what others think - fine. As stated, I have family members on this side of things. But to have a defiant, in your face attitude about it is something else. The ego does seem to come into play a bit and that's a contributing factor in assessing likeability.

Lay low, do your thing, post your pictures if you must but, if confronted, try to at least show a little empathy to those who are sensitive to these things. Personally, I don't see much of that....

David Booth owes us no apology but, in that, we also don't owe him our undying support (just because he's a Canucks). I've been labeled a bit of a homer (with good reason), but do base my support of the players on their overall attitude as well as their hockey skills. So this one's a struggle for me....

Hopefully, they'll get back on the ice soon and he'll light 'em up and give me reason to sway to the other side. But so far, not so much....

(and I hear there's a charity game in town....he's obviously got his aim down to a fine art in hunting....maybe time to get on the ice with his brothers and work on his on ice shot instead of proving his point out there, in the wild?)

I think that's a flawed argument. There are many that are considered 'legal' that are still not right. And, for that matter, a lot of things that are not legal that should be. For example, it is not 'legal' for homosexuals to get married in many US states: does that make it wrong?

I think this kind of 'merciless beratement' is a good thing. He's been quite public with these killings, and some people are standing up and saying 'hey, I don't like that'. It's good. If he can't take that kind of criticism, I'm sure he'll stop posting pics.

Booth is a trophy hunter. His primary motivation is to seek a trophy as it provides him with pleasure to kill many different animals in order to acquire different trophies. Eating meat is secondary and inconsequential to the argument about the immorality to his primary motivations.

How about the fact that he is overpaid, under performing.

overpaid 3rd liner who has not reach his potential. As it seems he lacks the stuff between the ears to reach it.

guy seems to be a bit of a basket case. nothing to do with hunting. just doesn't seem to be playing with a full deck.

the fact that he has pissed off close to half the fans doesnt help him out either, guys on the bubble with me just for his crappy play, this just make me want to drive him to the airport myself.

Defend him or roast him, this board is divided. One thing we can all agree on is that we are canuck fans and this city wants a trophy and booth did little and does little to help us to get it.

Trade him.

So why is hunting for pleasure immoral exactly? Booth isn't wasting the meat. "Because he could get food elsewhere" seems like a pretty arbitrary standard. "Because the animal feels pain" is just projecting your own emotions onto the animal and sympathizing with them--emotions don't make logical arguments.

I'd love it if you could give us a nice, solid logical argument backing up your main assertion since you've repeated it several times under the presumption it's true. Appealing to emotionalism isn't going to cut it.

You want me to explain to you the immorality of killing something for pleasure? It's kinda self-evident.

You don't believe that animals feel pain? You don't believe that it's immoral to cause a living thing pain for one's pleasure?

Again, these things are self-evident, which is why they aren't argued. Perhaps you haven't thought about it, but I'd ask you to.

It's not emotionalism....it's morality..something that all members of civilized society abide by, inherently, because moral differentiate between what's 'wrong' and what's 'right'.

Speaking of Nietzsche:

The whole attitude of "man versus the world” man as world denying principle, man as the standard of the value of things, as judge of the world, who in the end puts existence itself on his scales and finds it too light - the monstrous impertinence of this attitude has dawned upon us as such, and has disgusted us, we now laugh when we find, "Man and World" placed beside one another, separated by the sublime presumption of the little word " and "!

Man is not separate from this world....he is part of it, and with the gifts he's been given, one could dare say he was ordained, or at least tasked to be its steward and not its usurping destroyer.

If I recall correctly, I remember you posting how much you enjoyed bacon back in the "Bacon Shortage" thread. Remember bacon is not an essential food, it is not needed for survival, you eat it because it gives you pleasure.

So that would mean that you're okay with slaughtering a bunch of pigs (as long as somebody else kills them for you) so you can have the pleasure of eating bacon.

The amount of hypocrisy in some of your posts is astounding.

David Booth owes us no apology but, in that, we also don't owe him our undying support (just because he's a Canuck). I've been labeled a bit of a homer (with good reason), but do base my support of the players on their overall attitude as well as their hockey skills. So this one's a struggle for me....

If I recall correctly, I remember you posting how much you enjoyed bacon back in the "Bacon Shortage" thread. Remember bacon is not an essential food, it is not needed for survival, you eat it because it gives you pleasure.

So that would mean that you're okay with slaughtering a bunch of pigs (as long as somebody else kills them for you) so you can have the pleasure of eating bacon.

The amount of hypocrisy in some of your posts is astounding.

Archived