The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

So, are you a vegan?

If you are, then I recognize that the stance of "we can be civilized enough not to kill anything" is not a contradiction, and I can respect that but humbly disagree.

If not, then the stance weakens, but I'm not here tell you what to do or think.

Have you ever hunted? I'm not asking to be confrontational, but more curious.

You're right in a sense, but I would also disagree in certain respects as well. Wild animals don't necessarily die pleasantly in nature so I agree with you on that, but I don't think that gives us sufficient reason to hunt them on "compassionate grounds". What's better in one respect isn't always better on the whole. For starters, you're taking away prey for predatory animals which need to survive as well and indirectly this also has significant negative impacts on ecosystems e.g. killing keystone species. More importantly, I'd argue that wild animals have a significant interest in non-interference. Living in the wild is much different than a domestic life. One reason is that animals roam much more freely, socialize in groups with other wild animals or independently on their own. These interests may not seem that important to you but for wild animals this is what they do. A good example is what happens to some whales in aquariums. Some argue that it is morally better to have whales in aquariums because they are less prone to the dangers of the wild similar to the argument you have given us. But what happens to some of these whales is that they will just float in their aquarium motionless for hours and unresponsive. They NEVER behave like this in the wild. It is actually quite disheartening to see. Is that a better trade off? Further, would killing them be a better alternative to them dieing in the wild? On the face of it you seem to imply that this is so, but I'm not sure the reasoning is fully there given what I have stated above. So even if wild animals are at significant risk, it is more in their interests to not be interfered with.

So, are you a vegan?

If you are, then I recognize that the stance of "we can be civilized enough not to kill anything" is not a contradiction, and I can respect that but humbly disagree.

If not, then the stance weakens, but I'm not here tell you what to do or think.

Have you ever hunted? I'm not asking to be confrontational, but more curious.

I'll say it again, the only difference between hunting and trophy hunting is being more selective as opposed to taking the first legal animal you see.

These animals rarely ever die of old age. They die from hunters, accidents, starvation, or natural predators. Death by hunter is typically the quickest of those options. They don't live their lives prancing through the woods and across meadows living a happy Disney life. They are constantly hunted and know they are food to all the predators out there. The vast majority eventually wind up food to another species.

I am a vegan, but if I wasn't it wouldn't make the argument contradictory. It would be irrational (and somewhat hypocritical) though to accept the argument but continue to act otherwise. But that doesn't affect the validity nor the soundness of the argument.

I don't hunt.

Domesticated animals e.g. broiler chickens are much different than wild animals. They've been engineered in a way that they couldn't survive prolonged exposure outside. Nonetheless, I do think cattle and even broiler chickens to a limited extent want to experience the warmth of the sun (something you take for granted everyday), dustbathe, etc. These are their most basic interests. Imagine, for example, that you are in a crowded elevator with no room to move. After some time, memebers of the group begin to get agitated and start acting aggressively while others, out of sheer hopelessness, resort to activities like canibalism. That is the life of a battery caged chicken. And you're right. These animals have a desire to live + more. We owe them that much. This isn't hippy bull s***. It's the rational and intelligent thing to do. And yes, I am a vegan.

That sounds all fine and dandy, but you're missing the point at issue.

I am a vegan, but if I wasn't it wouldn't make the argument contradictory. It would be irrational (and somewhat hypocritical) though to accept the argument but continue to act otherwise. But that doesn't affect the validity nor the soundness of the argument.

I don't hunt.

Domesticated animals e.g. broiler chickens are much different than wild animals. They've been engineered in a way that they couldn't survive prolonged exposure outside. Nonetheless, I do think cattle and even broiler chickens to a limited extent want to experience the warmth of the sun (something you take for granted everyday), dustbathe, etc. These are their most basic interests. Imagine, for example, that you are in a crowded elevator with no room to move. After some time, memebers of the group begin to get agitated and start acting aggressively while others, out of sheer hopelessness, resort to activities like canibalism. That is the life of a battery caged chicken. And you're right. These animals have a desire to live + more. We owe them that much. This isn't hippy bull s***. It's the rational and intelligent thing to do. And yes, I am a vegan.

That sounds all fine and dandy, but you're missing the point at issue.

Archived