The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

Thanks, frazzy, because I truly am curious and willing to learn. Again, hunting for the purpose of sustenance and going out to acquire your own meat vs going to the store to support slaughterhouses is much different, to me, than simply killing an animal for a photo op. So I do appreciate the feedback and part of "discussing" any matter with two sides means keeping an open mind in the process.

The "lol butt hurt" comments are spam, so please don't bother unless you have something to contribute....

I live in Texas where hunting is a huge past time for the locals. ( im an expat from Van) I am not a hunter but I do not disprove of it. I am not exactly fond of trophy hunting as I do not think having a dead stuffed animal in my living room or over my mantle appealing ( see girl friend ; wikipedia) but for food wise, I get it. Yes there is an abundance of commercially available meat but do you really want to eat it? Besides the fact that it is fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain, do you really know where it comes from? With hormones, feed, the different kinds of living arrangements, and the different substances used in processing the animal, would you still eat it if you knew exact was in the pork chop? Yes, there are different ways to get around all this but why shouldn't we be able to harvest our own food.

No...the simple fact of the matter is that we're not the top of the food chain. The only reason we have an advantage is that we have items that we take with us into the bush that takes away the advantage of the natural weapons that the animal has. You notice that David Booth had a bow...with an arrow that is a stand-off weapon designed to put some distance between the shooter and the target. The bear was shot with a bow as well. Give him a knife in his hand and Booth wouldn't have stood a chance if he had to close with the bear and engage it in hand to hand combat.

http://www.sportsnet..._mountain_goat/

booth_640_640.jpg

Ok. I'm going to say out right that a) I don't eat non human animals; b ) I take non human animal ethics very seriously (I have a masters degree in philosophy on this very topic) & c) I'm a big fan of David Booth the hockey player. Further, I am not absolutely against hunting. There can be good reasons for it i.e. necessary wildlife management. So there are exceptions to the rule.

HOWEVER, as much as I don't want to dislike what Booth has done, I can't help but say that his reasoning just doesn't work, ethically speaking. Sure, hunting goats may be challenging but why should we care about that? Of course it is a thrill for the hunters, but what about the interests of the animals themselves? Don't they count for something Booth? Or is it all about human interests only?

This isn't intended to be a hater thread. It's too bad for the goat is all I'm saying. Would much rather hockey started (might keep Booth away from his 'hobby'). I find it ironic that as much of this bugs me I still would completely support Booth as a hockey player. I do wonder where Booth draws the line though.....

START THE SEASON!!! END THE MASSACRE (note: sarcasm)

***EDIT*** 14/10/12

Thought I should add this to show the lack of reasoning skill in a few posts.

Not eating non human animals does not logically entail eating human animals (we are animals too right). That is like saying because I don't eat appples which are fruit, then I must eat oranges which are fruit. I could not eat both, which is entirely possible. In other words, cannibalism simply doesn't follow, and for the record I don't eat humans.......sometimes.

The food chain is a vastly oversimplied one-dimensional model that has more place in an elementary school classroom than complex science.

But, technically, human beings are the most dominating force in any model of the "food chain". Many creatures in the animal kingdom use tools, strategy, and numbers to gain advantage over their prey. Human beings are no different. We are simply so advanced in our intelligence that there is nothing that we cannot kill and there is nothing that considers us a constant source of food.

Bears have teeth and claws. We have AA-12s.

We win.

What's worse an animal getting hit by a car or attacked by other animals? or one getting shot and having a quick painless death for the most part and being used as food and other purposes?

This is why people don't like nuck fans, you guys are whiners and get to into other peoples business, hes' not doing anything illegal or wrong. If he was out killing animals every day then go at him all you want. How do you think people survived in the olden days?

It's also a lot healther then going to your local supermarket and buying meat where it's full of preservatives and other sh!t and the animals you eat from there go through way worse things.

Maybe he wanted to try goat?

YOLO

:lol:

What's worse an animal getting hit by a car or attacked by other animals? or one getting shot and having a quick painless death for the most part and being used as food and other purposes?

One is an accident, the next is just a part of nature. The "one getting shot" is someone's choice to do so and, unless they are using the meat for food, senseless.

This is why people don't like nuck fans, you guys are whiners and get to into other peoples business, hes' not doing anything illegal or wrong. If he was out killing animals every day then go at him all you want. How do you think people survived in the olden days? Way to generalize/troll. Watch that. And we're not "in the olden days", so that point is irrelevant.

It's also a lot healther then going to your local supermarket and buying meat where it's full of preservatives and other stuff and the animals you eat from there go through way worse things.

This was more likely a trophy hunt but, if it is a kill whereby the meat will be used - yes, you're right. Although please don't bypass the swear filters to make your point.

Maybe he wanted to try goat?

YOLO Some people also hate this garbage. Me included.

:lol:

I don't think he really cares if he gets negative reactions from this. How many of you care if people don't like your ideas of a good time or your recreation activities of choice?

If Booth single handedly delivers the cup to Vancouver, he will become legend and hero. All the power to his individual efforts.

This is bang on, if people do not wish to see these sort of things, then do not follow Booth on twitter. He, like the rest of us has the right to use it for whatever purpose we choose. He most likely posts these pictures because he is proud of his accomplishments and he wants to quickly and easily share with his friends and family. He does not choose for us to follow him, so if people are not ok with it, don't follow him. He shouldn't have to conform to the ideals of people he doesn't even know because we may not approve of his choices.

So because he is a gifted hard working professional athelete that people pay attention to, he should be punished, restricted and not allowed to pursue his hobbies and passions that have been a part of him since the beginning of his life? Who are you, who are we to make the choices and decisions for these people as to what they do with their free time?

The argument of "hes wealthy enough to buy his food, he shouldnt have to kill animals" etc is also null as I guarantee the costs associated with the process of taking down that goat far exceed what people unfamiliar with hunting would think. It is not a cheap adventure, and being the kind of hunter Booth is, a lifetime family passion, there is no way he is a bag and tag leave the body on the mountain to rot kind of hunter. And even if he did, he helped some very thankful animals up on the mountain find some easy meals.

It is interesting people believe he should act so differently because of his social status when he is just another human being pursuing a passion that millions of other people also enjoy. He did not post those pictures as a status symbol to impress his fans, he posted them entirely because he was proud of his accomplishment and he wanted to share his success with friends and family. Taking pictures with the animal has been a part of hunting since cameras were invented, it is part of the culture of the sport.

Taking down that goat with a compound bow like he did is an absolutely incredible accomplishment, most people use rifles from hundreds of yards away. He has every right to be proud of his accomplishment, and it is highly unlikely that he is worried that people don't like the fact that he did it.

Everyone should move on, the ethics of hunting is an age old debate that won't be resolved on the boards of CDC.

When you count tools, I don't see any animal other than primates using "tools" and a few birds (which will crack nuts on rocks) or possibly a few cetaceans. Other than that the world is full of animals who get by on their teeth and claws. And thrust into a situation where we don't have the "tools" and are reduced to spears and rocks to hunt game...we'd lose very quickly. Even hunting in the cavemen days was fraught with danger and many times hunters didn't come home.

Booth doesnt post those things for the haters, he posts them for the appreciators, if you dont want to see it there is a very simple course of action: dont follow him,

he posts those for his family and friends who share his interests, not to piss you off, many of his animal are extremely hard to tag and require endureing both weather and physical stresses. congrats to Booth on his success and enjoy the fantastic tablefare.

Awesome stuff. Good kill Boothie! I'd love to go on a hunting trip with him!!

People stop complaining. If you are a vigilante vegetarian, then go ahead and voice your opinion, but to all you grocery store meat eating hypocrites out there, stuff it.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice. (your very last sentence)

Optics aren't right. Nothing to do with Booth's wealth

Bear baiting is not ethical IMO, and in my belief majority of Canadians' opinion.

I will go on record right now and say Booth will not be a Vancouver Canucks by the time the next NHL season ends, whenever that is.

1. Can you eat large mountain goat? Everything I've read indicates it's awful, so honestly not clear on this.

2. "I DO NOT CARE, And nor should you." Because we all should follow your lead and do what you do? I highly doubt it and we're all capable of deciding what we do/don't care about.

"If you don't like it, don't watch". You've just helped make my point - I don't want to watch, but in moderating a hockey site I've clicked on a thread that had a picture. One that David Booth put out there for the world to see - so, by the same token, "if you don't want people to comment, don't put it out there". If he'd just go about his business of hunting then no one would notice/care/watch. But he's a high profile athlete in the spotlight who's using social media to post these trophy shots, so he's also fair game, no?

Archived