The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

Not eating non human animals does not logically entail eating human animals (we are animals too right). That is like saying because I don't eat apples which are fruit, then I must eat oranges which are fruit. I could not eat both, which is entirely possible. In other words, cannibalism simply doesn't follow, and for the record I don't eat humans.......sometimes.

This is pathetic, IMHO, the OP is coming off as more of a douche than Booth.

Booth hunted legally and eats his kill.  He enjoys this and is sharing with other people who would enjoy it too.  I think this falls under the category of "None of your business".  It is quite narcissistic for you to think that he publishes these pics specifically to annoy you.

OP basically says:

1) I have a masters degree in this, so my opinion is the only one that matters "ethically speaking"

2) All you people who eat "non-human animals" are unethical.

3) If you don't interpret my comments as I intend them to mean, you are dumb.

Seriously, anyone who has taken moral philosophy at a basic level will tell you that no moral issue is truely black and white.  If it appears so, then it really is your own sense of ethics that is clouding the issue.  Stop trying to impose your ethics on others.

he is hunting for food not for trophy like others have said you spend 6-8 weeks training for this type of hunt so its not some sort of walk in the park like many have said

as for the pictures don't look at them if you see a booth hunting thread pop up you can damn well assume there will be a picture of his kill its what he does

oh crazy thing to say again but maybe just maybe it will get the point across to all you stubborn people

he hunts for food not trophy end of story so stop pulling assumptions out of the air about what he does with his kills

No one said it was ok. You are presupposing that it is. That's called begging the question.

First, human biology does not dictate that we must eat meat. If that were the case, vegans would perish. Further, many high performance athletes are switching to vegan diets for improved health and recovery.

Second, plants are not sentient. They do not experience complex emotions or desires like we do. More importantly, they do not experience pain.

Third, eating plants isn't destroying the environment as near as badly as factory farming non human animals is. You need to do some basic fact checking.

Well, it wasn't killed in B.C. it was killed in Alberta, though they don't allow it either, in case you were wondering.

In any case the means of hunting doesn't negate the argument from immorality when a hunter kills an animal more for enjoyment rather than a need for sustenance and survival.

And if there are so many natural reasons for the low population rate already, ie) avalanches, forest fires, falling, etc....then killing them for the purpose of enjoyment, thus further reducing their numbers seems like an illogical reason, let alone an immoral reason to do so further.

I respect your opinion and you as a person, and have for quite some time, but this is one area I part in disagreement. Trophy hunting is more about feeding one's ego than it is about feeding their bellies. And goat-hunting seems like it's a blood-sport for the rich who can't seem to find other less murderous ways to find their jollies and fill their archaic bloodlust. He should go climb a mountain if he's looking for extreme thrills and a rush. Takes more courage imo to conquer a mountain than it does to conquer a goat.

he is hunting for food not for trophy like others have said you spend 6-8 weeks training for this type of hunt so its not some sort of walk in the park like many have said

as for the pictures don't look at them if you see a booth hunting thread pop up you can damn well assume there will be a picture of his kill its what he does

oh crazy thing to say again but maybe just maybe it will get the point across to all you stubborn people

he hunts for food not trophy end of story so stop pulling assumptions out of the air about what he does with his kills

If I bagged a goat that big I'd post the pictures up too, I have no issues with him posting the pictures.

Never been hunting, and quite frankly, I doubt I ever will. I don't have it in me to kill a creature.

That being said, I couldn't care less about people who do go hunting, it's well within their rights, and if they enjoy it than so be it.

It would be nice to know whether he intends on using the meat or hide for something though.

Hope to see Booth out of the forest and on the ice soon.

Man as hunted throughout time.

Goats are not endangered nor are they even on the watch list. They are limited entry as they are not as abundant as deer. Hunting serves several purposes. One is population control. This is where you have it backwards. You're not actually saving goats by not hunting them. Without population control yje winter food supply disappears faster and more will be expiring from starvation. Starvation is currently the goats biggest enemy. If the population grows too much even more will expire as food becomes too scarce earlier. For example: If there's 100 and only food for 50 the entire 100 could wind up starving to death. Culling ensures longer availability of food and a greater chance for a herd to survive the winter. Then of course the money generated from hunting pays for conservation. What areas are available to hunt are decided by population. You cannot legally hunt where and what you please. An area open to hunting this year may well be closed the following year if the winter survival was too low. This population control actually helps the overall survival of each species in each hunting zone.

Btw, Booth had to conquer the mountain before conquering the goat. I did hunt for several years. It has nothing to do with ego as far as I'm concerned. Nor did I do it out of need for meat. I couild buy meat. I do have a love for elk and moose meat. Tough to find at the local Save On. I always thought of hunting as being out hiking and camping with friends. Bagging something was a bonus that put meat in the freezer. Hunting is an experience. There's far more to the experience than simply shooting an animal.

Now I've never bothered with taking trophies from hunting myself. My older brother has though. He has a whitetail buck, a six point elk, and a longhorn sheep on his rec room wall. Plus a sheepskin rug (from that longhorn) along with a bearskin rug. Each of those trophies represent a memory for him. And I can guarantee you none of the meat went to waste. Every time I see that elk on his wall it reminds of that week I spent in the woods in the rockies with my three older brothers. It's a good memory and the only week long vacation we've all done together as adults.

I haven't hunted for 20 years now. But I did enjoy it. I do think you have to experience hunting to truly understand it.

I do have to ask: is it of higher morality to raise an animal in confinement only to be shipped off to the slaughter house or to head out into the woods, put in the effort of actually hunting, and kill an animal that spent it's life roaming free? Do either live a happy life? I don't know. Perhaps our livestock are simply too stupid to realize they're food until that final terror filled moment while those out in the wild spend their entire life trying to avoid being food. Whether a cow, a pig, or a deer or elk, they're all part of the food chain and have been since the beginning of time. Which is why I don't really see it as a question of morality myself. It's simply the nature of the world. Virtually everything in this world is hunted by something else.

I see those that eat meat but are opposed to hunting as head in the sand hypocrites. At least the hunter experiences the ugly side of where the meat came from. The non-hunter simply buys his packaged steak and roast without having to look into the cows eyes as he's killed. He doesn't have to gut and skin the cow. Nope. It's all clean and tidy. They don't have to think about how that meat made it to that package in the store. It's just food. At least the hunter goes through the entire process. My experience was a greater respect for the animals. And that's really difficult to explain having gone through the entire process.

As I said before, I have no problem with hunting as long as it's done legally. There's far more to it than simply killing an animal.

I can appreciate all the warm feelings around the camping and comradeship you felt while out with your brothers. I'm not denying that's important. But tell me, would those memories have been any less special to you had you just gone camping and spent that quality time with your brother(s) and instead of having some poor animal's head on a wall or skin on the floor, you had some great photos or videos to recall your bonding with?

And your cut and paste info above is contradictory. If mountain goats are not in abundance, then why do they require population control? And what did nature do before there were hunters? Did species go extinct in the wildnerness when herd sizes got too big for the availability of food, territory or mates? Come on, that's a weak hunter's argument that's been debunked time after time. Hunters use this excuse in order to legitimize their recreational activity.

When aboriginal people hunted caribou or bison, depending on which area they were in, they didn't do it for 'population control', they did it for necessity and survival, which is why they have a great respect for the animals they hunt. They didn't step on the animals like conquering weekend warriors, like Bravado Booth here did, showing the world how tough and courageous he is with his new trophy.

It's just a bunch of rich guys killing for the enjoyment of killing....that's what it boils down to, and that's why he disgusts me, like all trophy hunters. I'm not trying to devalue the obvious emotional argument you're making about hunting with your brothers, because i respect the bonding process, but i'd bet you that had you all scaled a mountain together, or 'tamed' some wild rapids together, or sailed some vast distance on the open seas together.....you'd all have come away with the same feeling of accomplishment, satisfaction in yourself and as a family, and achievement in doing something that you'd all remember for the rest of your lives.......without needing the carcass of a once living creature adorning your mantle places or floors.

You may feel otherwise.

Archived