333 replies to this topic

#31 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Sorry, Silly Goose, but as a wildlife photographer, I know that the Oreamnos americanus - otherwise known as the mountain goat is not on the IUCN Redlist (Endangered) or Yellow List (At Risk). It may be disturbing to see a majestic animal like the mountain goat lying on it's side expired, but frankly with at 100,000 examples, there is enough genetic diversity to still be able to recover this animal.

Even the North American Black Bear that Booth baited and shot, was also not on the IUCN Red LIst. The population is stable and the reproduction rates are steady.

If you want to get really pissed off about something wait until he kills something that is on the IUCN Red List and then we can really crucify him with justification.

I'm confused as to why he's bragging about the rarity of the kill.

#32 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

Where can I send my 10 bucks and get a masters degree?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#33 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

Hey, dude says he had a masters degree in such philosophy... :rolleyes:

"I don't eat non human animals"...................................So you eat humans then?

#34 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

vegetarians are dumb. eat according to your biology.

also, what makes eating an animal so much worse than eating a plant? both are alive, and eating plants is worse for the planet than eating animals (since plants produce oxygen while animals deplete it).

Edited by tas, 14 October 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#35 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

I think it's time for Booth to take his talent somewhere else.

Not hating. Grew up on a farm.

To all u hunters i love game meat. Just don't think Vancouver is Booth type of city.

#36 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Anyways, I don't have a problem with hunting. I have never hunted myself nor do I plan to, but I believe in the right to hunt animals (within reason, of course).

Why is hunting and killing a mountain goat for food and trophy not okay but raising and slaughtering cattle for meat and leather okay?

I don't get why people are so outraged over stuff like this ...

Not to mention dragging a net full of fish out of the ocean and letting them suffocate in the hold. Or boiling a live crab or lobster. Seafood is very humane in comparison to hunting.
Posted Image

#37 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

POPULAR

also, what makes eating an animal so much worse than eating a plant? both are alive, and eating plants is worse for the planet than eating animals (since plants produce oxygen while animals deplete it).

"Vegitarian" is an old native term meaning "bad hunter". :)
Posted Image

#38 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,759 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Our society is becoming more and more p---ified by the day and complaining about a hunter legally hunting is a prime example of that.

Don't like it? Go watch the Beebs' transference into full female form instead.

Beebs... Pssht, real rock stars back in the day would've tried to bang that groupie.
Posted Image

#39 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

This doesn't bother me in the slightest, congrats on getting your goat Booth!
I would say over half of my friends hunt, and they take everything they kill and eat it. I guess it's where you are raised, but I'm actually very surprised that this bothers so many people here in BC.

#40 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Ok. I'm going to say out right that a) I don't eat non human animals; b ) I take non human animal ethics very seriously (I have a masters degree in philosophy on this very topic) & c) I'm a big fan of David Booth the hockey player. Further, I am not absolutely against hunting. There can be good reasons for it i.e. necessary wildlife management. So there are exceptions to the rule.

Have you considered seeing a therapist?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,655 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

POPULAR

I guess the thing for me is the picture, itself. My Dad and brother have hunted my entire life...they take it very seriously and use every bit of the animals they hunt (even so far as collecting the down from the fowl to sterilize/use). But the need to pose with the kill is the part I don't get. They never really felt the need to do that. The prey then becomes more of a status symbol than anything and that screams of ego and arrogance to me. Quietly go about your business, share your photos (if you must take them) amongst your hunter friends but, once you start publishing them, expect that some backlash will occur. I certainly don't want to see it.

(Thanks edit, for butchering my comment) Anyhow, I support the on ice DB and do get that hunting is a part of life. I just think that, for some, it serves to try to prove something about manlihood but couldn't be further off the mark. My Dad (again, an avid hunter), snoozing on the couch with a little sleeping kitten inside his shirt pocket is the picture that impresses people the most (not that he cares at all about image - he doesn't). There isn't one single picture (ever) of him with "a kill", as that's part of his life that is simply meant to provide food and not to prove something. I think that's the key for me.

Posted Image

#42 Bauer1337

Bauer1337

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

who cares

#43 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Wow this again? :picard:

Some people are just completely ignorant when it comes to this subject, yet voice their opinion like they have a degree or something.
Nice job D.B. that's a great accomplishment and an even better picture.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#44 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

I think it's time for Booth to take his talent somewhere else.

Not hating. Grew up on a farm.

To all u hunters i love game meat. Just don't think Vancouver is Booth type of city.

I don't understand your post. Booth should leave Vancouver because he legally hunts game? I'm sorry but that seems a little absurd.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#45 Hank33

Hank33

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

David Booth hunts... we've all known that for a while now, so why do we have to make a new thread every time he kills an animal? He doesn't break the law, its perfectly legal. This is what happens when we get a quality player in Vancouver? Oh right its been happening for a long time now... Every top notch player we have has to be scrutinized every game even if he has a good one. Why didn't Doan, Schultz want to come here. Well I can say for certain that being under the microscope 24/7 was probably one of their reasons.

Edited by Hank33, 14 October 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#46 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Booth can do whatever the frack he wants....but seriously he needs way better PR skills

You can't put up pictures like this and not expect some sort of negative reaction..... unless you're extremely ignorant

#47 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

It's not really that simple....

A lot of animals are ecosystem engineers or keystone species in their ecosystems that other species of plants and animals rely on to keep the ecosystem running. Killing certain animals can sometimes disturb an ecosystem much more and have much more far-reaching effects that killing some plants.

It depends on the situation, habitat, and species, is what I'm saying.

RIP LB RR PD

#48 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I'm more pissed that he's probably slacking off in this extended off-season.

Edited by Dazzle, 14 October 2012 - 11:07 AM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#49 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,655 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

David Booth hunts... we've all known that for a while now, so why do we have to make a new thread every time he kills an animal? He doesn't break the law, its perfectly legal. This is what happens when we get a quality player in Vancouver? Oh right its been happening for a long time now... Every top notch player we have has to be scrutinized every game even if he has a good one. Why didn't Doan, Schultz want to come here. Well I can say for certain that being under the microscope 24/7 was probably one of their reasons.

Probably because every time he kills an animal he posts it? That prompts a reaction....

Ashbury has said it already/best I see.

Posted Image

#50 You Mad Bro?

You Mad Bro?

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Took down a beauty with a compound bow. Booya. Well done Booth. Pretty kick ass.

#51 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

This doesn't bother me in the slightest, congrats on getting your goat Booth!
I would say over half of my friends hunt, and they take everything they kill and eat it. I guess it's where you are raised, but I'm actually very surprised that this bothers so many people here in BC.

I don't think it bothers so many people here in BC as it bothers so many hippies on CDC.

Posted Image

#52 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,655 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

In reading the story, a couple of things stood out to me. First of all the part regarding the "rarity" of the animal and fact that it can take 7 years to re-apply for a license based on this.

Also, to those arguing about plants - a plant doesn't look you in the eye. Have babies or a mate. A little different.

I want to see this in an unbiased light that doesn't have me judge DB on his actions outside of hockey that I don't, necessarily agree with. That's my preference vs his and there's nothing making mine "right" and his "wrong". But the fact that he doesn't appear to be very sensitive to the other side of things is concerning to me. Ties in to Ashbury's comment which, again, nails it.

Even this comment:

"There's only one trophy in the world harder to get than this... And I'm getting that next." "I'm", not "we're". It's a team game, but David is making it his own, personal, conquest here. Like he will single handedly also go hunt that one down all on his own, without any help from his teammates. Hmmm....

I'm not a hippy, but the Big Yellow Taxi song always made sense to me.

Posted Image

#53 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

But "come over and eat these steaks from this meat factory that processes 4700 (yes, four thousand, seven hundred. XL Foods) cows per day" (!!!) is fine?

n00bxQb is correct and has won the debate.

It never ceases to amaze how many vegetarians there are in this town, because nobody who consumes meat with any regularity, including philosophy majors, could possibly be so dim as to make an issue of it.

Like, you know, there is this thing called “a food chain,” and most animals rank below a guy that is handy with a crossbow. I get that Matt Sekaras (team1040) gets his panties in a knot whenever there is news of a Booth “kill,” and that fellow bleeding hearts want to make their sensitive souls heard, but singling out a guy that eats the meat he hunts, really?

I guess dining on meat bred exclusively for brief caged existence followed by assembly line killing and consumption, than doing the deed yourself, makes one a better human being. As for him posting it, well we are in the "look at me" age and this is far less disturbing than the many images I'm (not) forced to endure on regular boobtube programming.

#54 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

In reading the story, a couple of things stood out to me. First of all the part regarding the "rarity" of the animal and fact that it can take 7 years to re-apply for a license based on this.

Also, to those arguing about plants - a plant doesn't look you in the eye. Have babies or a mate. A little different.

I want to see this in an unbiased light that doesn't have me judge DB on his actions outside of hockey that I don't, necessarily agree with. That's my preference vs his and there's nothing making mine "right" and his "wrong". But the fact that he doesn't appear to be very sensitive to the other side of things is concerning to me. Ties in to Ashbury's comment which, again, nails it.

Even this comment:

"There's only one trophy in the world harder to get than this... And I'm getting that next." "I'm", not "we're". It's a team game, but David is making it his own, personal, conquest here. Like he will single handedly also go hunt that one down all on his own, without any help from his teammates. Hmmm....

I'm not a hippy, but the Big Yellow Taxi song always made sense to me.

David is still a young guy and probably doesn't know much about PR when he is twitting on the fly. Am sure he is a good team player and we shouldn't micro-analyze everything he says on twitter. He probably didn't think for a long time on how and what to say on twitter except whatever came to his mind first. We shouldn't really judge him based on his twitter feeds.

Posted Image

#55 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Don't complain until the hunter becomes the hunted.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#56 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,655 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

^In checking out his Twitter feed (which I have never bothered to do), it leans me more in the direction I was heading with this. A taunting, in your face, feel to things that I find a little obnoxious, but I'll focus on DB on ice and hope that he makes me forget. He is 27 years old and, honestly, should probably be a littl moree sensitive to the fact that some aren't cool with trophy hunts. But it's his page and we can chose not to go there, which is what I'll do. A freedom of speech thing where he's entitled to do/say whatever the hell he wants in this life. With that, we're also entitled to feel the way we do in response. Enough of my time/two cents on this though, as it changes nothing....

Posted Image

#57 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

David is still a young guy and probably doesn't know much about PR when he is twitting on the fly. Am sure he is a good team player and we shouldn't micro-analyze everything he says on twitter. He probably didn't think for a long time on how and what to say on twitter except whatever came to his mind first. We shouldn't really judge him based on his twitter feeds.

He's a multi millionaire who works for an extremely public organization. He has an agent and management team that probably watch him like a hawk (one that he wishes he could shoot)

I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but his redneck behaviour does disturb me. Like Deb highlighted, the whole posing with dead animals and plastering it all over twitter (or whatever) does seem a bit crass and selfish... an attitude issue that could also explain his approach to how he plays hockey.

The other day my dentist was prattling on about his hunting trips coming up, and I wanted to tell him to be quiet. I don't care if he does it, but he should know that it's a sensitive subject for some, and I certainly don't want to hear it. Just because I'm a rugged, good looking young man doesn't mean I'm into that stuff!

Hunt if you want (I guess...), but keep it to yourself.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#58 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Have none of you been hunting or fishing before? What an awesome shot. Atta boy boothy, turning into one of my favourite canucks. Hunting is a sport, deal with it pu$$ies

#59 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

I went fishing as a kid when my dad came into town and--sob sob--tried to have 'father son time' to make up for the years he skipped out on

I think I started crying and wanted to go home

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#60 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

He's a multi millionaire who works for an extremely public organization. He has an agent and management team that probably watch him like a hawk (one that he wishes he could shoot)

I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but his redneck behaviour does disturb me. Like Deb highlighted, the whole posing with dead animals and plastering it all over twitter (or whatever) does seem a bit crass and selfish... an attitude issue that could also explain his approach to how he plays hockey.

The other day my dentist was prattling on about his hunting trips coming up, and I wanted to tell him to be quiet. I don't care if he does it, but he should know that it's a sensitive subject for some, and I certainly don't want to hear it. Just because I'm a rugged, good looking young man doesn't mean I'm into that stuff!

Hunt if you want (I guess...), but keep it to yourself.

well then his management team and agent aren't doing a good job.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.