The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

I guess the thing for me is the picture, itself. My Dad and brother have hunted my entire life...they take it very seriously and use every bit of the animals they hunt (even so far as collecting the down from the fowl to sterilize/use). But the need to pose with the kill is the part I don't get. They never really felt the need to do that. The prey then becomes more of a status symbol than anything and that screams of ego and arrogance to me. Quietly go about your business, share your photos (if you must take them) amongst your hunter friends but, once you start publishing them, expect that some backlash will occur. I certainly don't want to see it.

(Thanks edit, for butchering my comment) Anyhow, I support the on ice DB and do get that hunting is a part of life. I just think that, for some, it serves to try to prove something about manlihood but couldn't be further off the mark. My Dad (again, an avid hunter), snoozing on the couch with a little sleeping kitten inside his shirt pocket is the picture that impresses people the most (not that he cares at all about image - he doesn't). There isn't one single picture (ever) of him with "a kill", as that's part of his life that is simply meant to provide food and not to prove something. I think that's the key for me.

David Booth hunts... we've all known that for a while now, so why do we have to make a new thread every time he kills an animal? He doesn't break the law, its perfectly legal. This is what happens when we get a quality player in Vancouver? Oh right its been happening for a long time now... Every top notch player we have has to be scrutinized every game even if he has a good one. Why didn't Doan, Schultz want to come here. Well I can say for certain that being under the microscope 24/7 was probably one of their reasons.

vegetarians are dumb. eat according to your biology.

also, what makes eating an animal so much worse than eating a plant? both are alive, and eating plants is worse for the planet than eating animals (since plants produce oxygen while animals deplete it).

David Booth hunts... we've all known that for a while now, so why do we have to make a new thread every time he kills an animal? He doesn't break the law, its perfectly legal. This is what happens when we get a quality player in Vancouver? Oh right its been happening for a long time now... Every top notch player we have has to be scrutinized every game even if he has a good one. Why didn't Doan, Schultz want to come here. Well I can say for certain that being under the microscope 24/7 was probably one of their reasons.

Probably because every time he kills an animal he posts it? That prompts a reaction....

Ashbury has said it already/best I see.

This doesn't bother me in the slightest, congrats on getting your goat Booth!

I would say over half of my friends hunt, and they take everything they kill and eat it. I guess it's where you are raised, but I'm actually very surprised that this bothers so many people here in BC.

In reading the story, a couple of things stood out to me. First of all the part regarding the "rarity" of the animal and fact that it can take 7 years to re-apply for a license based on this.

Also, to those arguing about plants - a plant doesn't look you in the eye. Have babies or a mate. A little different.

I want to see this in an unbiased light that doesn't have me judge DB on his actions outside of hockey that I don't, necessarily agree with. That's my preference vs his and there's nothing making mine "right" and his "wrong". But the fact that he doesn't appear to be very sensitive to the other side of things is concerning to me. Ties in to Ashbury's comment which, again, nails it.

Even this comment:

"There's only one trophy in the world harder to get than this... And I'm getting that next." "I'm", not "we're". It's a team game, but David is making it his own, personal, conquest here. Like he will single handedly also go hunt that one down all on his own, without any help from his teammates. Hmmm....

I'm not a hippy, but the Big Yellow Taxi song always made sense to me.

In reading the story, a couple of things stood out to me. First of all the part regarding the "rarity" of the animal and fact that it can take 7 years to re-apply for a license based on this.

Also, to those arguing about plants - a plant doesn't look you in the eye. Have babies or a mate. A little different.

I want to see this in an unbiased light that doesn't have me judge DB on his actions outside of hockey that I don't, necessarily agree with. That's my preference vs his and there's nothing making mine "right" and his "wrong". But the fact that he doesn't appear to be very sensitive to the other side of things is concerning to me. Ties in to Ashbury's comment which, again, nails it.

Even this comment:

"There's only one trophy in the world harder to get than this... And I'm getting that next." "I'm", not "we're". It's a team game, but David is making it his own, personal, conquest here. Like he will single handedly also go hunt that one down all on his own, without any help from his teammates. Hmmm....

I'm not a hippy, but the Big Yellow Taxi song always made sense to me.

^In checking out his Twitter feed (which I have never bothered to do), it leans me more in the direction I was heading with this. A taunting, in your face, feel to things that I find a little obnoxious, but I'll focus on DB on ice and hope that he makes me forget. He is 27 years old and, honestly, should probably be a littl moree sensitive to the fact that some aren't cool with trophy hunts. But it's his page and we can chose not to go there, which is what I'll do. A freedom of speech thing where he's entitled to do/say whatever the hell he wants in this life. With that, we're also entitled to feel the way we do in response. Enough of my time/two cents on this though, as it changes nothing....

David is still a young guy and probably doesn't know much about PR when he is twitting on the fly. Am sure he is a good team player and we shouldn't micro-analyze everything he says on twitter. He probably didn't think for a long time on how and what to say on twitter except whatever came to his mind first. We shouldn't really judge him based on his twitter feeds.

He's a multi millionaire who works for an extremely public organization. He has an agent and management team that probably watch him like a hawk (one that he wishes he could shoot)

I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but his redneck behaviour does disturb me. Like Deb highlighted, the whole posing with dead animals and plastering it all over twitter (or whatever) does seem a bit crass and selfish... an attitude issue that could also explain his approach to how he plays hockey.

The other day my dentist was prattling on about his hunting trips coming up, and I wanted to tell him to be quiet. I don't care if he does it, but he should know that it's a sensitive subject for some, and I certainly don't want to hear it. Just because I'm a rugged, good looking young man doesn't mean I'm into that stuff!

Hunt if you want (I guess...), but keep it to yourself.

Archived