333 replies to this topic

#61 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

I wish those that don't agree with Booth hunting could show a little respect and just don't post their disagreement.

The flip side of some other posts.

#62 nadz4life

nadz4life

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Who. gives. a. flying. ****?!?!?!?! I'm freaking sick of these "err mahh gerdzz! Booth is an animal hater, he killz animalz!! D:<" threads. Like really... It'd be different if he killed a Unicorn or something, but thats not the case here.

#63 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Anyways, I don't have a problem with hunting. I have never hunted myself nor do I plan to, but I believe in the right to hunt animals (within reason, of course).

Why is hunting and killing a mountain goat for food and trophy not okay but raising and slaughtering cattle for meat and leather okay?

I don't get why people are so outraged over stuff like this ...

Try thinking a bit more...

Killing for food is one thing but for trophy is another. If Booth uses the goat or whatever that thing is(looks massive) for food then i don't really have a problem with it. Just like the First Nations during their hunting seasons.

I and among others just dislike the hunting for sport thing.

Other then the above, its not that big of a deal. Even tho i disagree, as long as its legal, then i can't really complain.

Edited by Monteeun, 14 October 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#64 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Vegetarians:
It's okay to slaughter thousands of fish, but killing other animals isn't okay.
Posted Image

#65 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Vegetarians:
It's okay to slaughter thousands of fish, but killing other animals isn't okay.

I'm not sure if i'm defending the right statement cuz i'm too lazy to go back and look up who said it. Maybe its in what manner are the animals being killed.

Comparing "killing fish for food" to "killing other animals for trophy or game" are two different things.

And i'm really excited. I wanna get a discussion going. lol

Edited by Monteeun, 14 October 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#66 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Who. gives. a. flying. ****?!?!?!?! I'm freaking sick of these "err mahh gerdzz! Booth is an animal hater, he killz animalz!! D:<" threads. Like really... It'd be different if he killed a Unicorn or something, but thats not the case here.

Thanks for that brilliant contribution.

Posted Image

#67 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

You guys need to get over it.. its a frackin goat... Its not like hes hunting your sister..

If you dont like it then dont watch or pay attention to it. Its perfectly legal for a reason, you dont know his intentions. Perhaps he donates all the meat to starving homless children, perhaps he eats it, perhaps he leaves the dead goat there and takes its head

I DO NO CARE, And nor should you.

Posted Image

#68 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

The reason Booth is bragging about the "rarity of the kill" is not because these goats are IUCN Red or Yellow List but because the process of hunting Mountain Goats is often too much for the average person to endure. For Booth, it seems to be more than just "sensless killing". He enjoys the thrill of the hunt, communing with nature, testing one's ability to perservere through adverse natural conditions, etc. And he says he also eats all of his kills, as well. Who the hell are we to protest something so natural and inherent to the human species?

You might not agree with Booth posting pictures on Twitter but it his right to do so. For anyone who partakes in a hunting expidition; it's an accomplishment. Certainly more of an accomplishment than running down to the local supermarket and buying the meat of mistreated and often tortured cattle. Booth is prideful of his kill. It may sound barbaric but it's something that has been a part of human nature for thousands of years and is found throughout the animal kingdom.

But you don't see anyone protesting the actions of domestic house cats, Orcas, foxes, wild dogs, or weasels. Unfortuantley, the natural world is not made of marshmallows, pixy dust, and skittles.

Edited by nowhereman, 14 October 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Posted Image

#69 velocity

velocity

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

I myself am a hunter and i can tell you for a fact that I make use of eveything from the animal and nothing goes to waste and I will not harvest anything I do not intend to enjoy consuming simply because it is a trophy. Having hunted and filled a tag in our beautiful province of BC I can tell you for a fact that what Booth has harvested is some of the finest tablefare available. some of my favourite and more memorable hunts have come when we failed to take an animal at all, its more about being outside and feeling connected to nature and enjoying quality time with friends that keeps people returnig to the woods and that seems to have been lost in recent generations. great eats are just a bonus

and for you people hating on Booth, take a look through last years behind the lens gallerys and you may be surprised which other fan favourite can be seen perusing a bc hunting magazine(hint: our very own #2)

#70 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

1. Can you eat large mountain goat? Everything I've read indicates it's awful, so honestly not clear on this.

2. "I DO NOT CARE, And nor should you." Because we all should follow your lead and do what you do? I highly doubt it and we're all capable of deciding what we do/don't care about.

"If you don't like it, don't watch". You've just helped make my point - I don't want to watch, but in moderating a hockey site I've clicked on a thread that had a picture. One that David Booth put out there for the world to see - so, by the same token, "if you don't want people to comment, don't put it out there". If he'd just go about his business of hunting then no one would notice/care/watch. But he's a high profile athlete in the spotlight who's using social media to post these trophy shots, so he's also fair game, no?

Posted Image

#71 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

The part that bothers me isn't that David Booth killed a huge goat. It's that if that goat had killed Booth while it was being hunted it would have been tracked down and killed for being a danger to humans.

For some reason, humans think all of nature is ours to conquer.

If we hunt and society is okay with it, also be okay with it when a shark kills a human or a cougar rips a little boys scalp off. it it us infact who keep going in there environment.

Edited by VoiceOfReason_, 14 October 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#72 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

This needs a Marty Sheen/Booth apocalypse now meme "every minute i'm in the rink, i get weaker and every minute the goat spends in the bush, it gets stronger"

#73 Kola Nuts

Kola Nuts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

i believe we have a cannibal here friends stay clear

"I don't eat non humans".

Oh my Lord...

Just when I think I have read it all on CDC. Just when I think it is impossible for someone to say something more outright baffling. You sir, you come out with this.

Thank you for bragging about your Cannibalism. My stupidity meter officially has a new low.

Not eating non human animals does not logically entail eating human animals (we are animals too right). That is like saying because I don't eay appples which are fruit, then I must eat oranges which are fruit. It simply doesn'ty follow. Simple logic folks. You ought to use it....

Posted Image

#74 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

The part that bothers me isn't that David Booth killed a huge goat. It's that if that goat had killed Booth while it was being hunted it would have been tracked down and killed for being a danger to humans.

For some reason, humans think all of nature is ours to conquer.

If we hunt and society is okay with it, also be okay with it when a shark kills a human or a cougar rips a little boys scalp off. it it us infact who keep going in there environment.

It is, that's why were top of the food chain.. The mistake most humans make is differentiating us from animals. We are the Lion to the hyaena, we are the wolf to the rabbit.

Posted Image

#75 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

I guarantee you he eats it, hes not just killing for the sake of killing. My dad and uncle hunted all the time when they were younger and ive eaten bear, venison, moose, elk, mountain lamb/goat. Lol you people are naive and blind

And all of the above are delicious if cooked right

Edited by frazzY, 14 October 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#76 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Lol at all the butthurt people in this thread.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#77 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

I don't understand your post. Booth should leave Vancouver because he legally hunts game? I'm sorry but that seems a little absurd.

Legal or Illegal has nothing to do with it. The optics aren't right.

It's my belief that Booth should as he says "enjoy god's creation" somewhere else.

Edited by WHL rocks, 14 October 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#78 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Lol at all the butthurt people in this thread.

nice post

Edited by WHL rocks, 14 October 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#79 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I guarantee you he eats it, hes not just killing for the sake of killing. My dad and uncle hunted all the time when they were younger and ive eaten bear, venison, moose, elk, mountain lamb/goat. Lol you people are naive and blind

And all of the above are delicious if cooked right

I've eaten all of the above myself and yes they are delicious. I have many friends that hunt. Booth is not in a position as a NHL player in a Canadian market to kill animals and post pics on the Internet. He represents the whole community and we are a pretty liberal town.

#80 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

It is, that's why were top of the food chain.. The mistake most humans make is differentiating us from animals. We are the Lion to the hyaena, we are the wolf to the rabbit.

No...the simple fact of the matter is that we're not the top of the food chain. The only reason we have an advantage is that we have items that we take with us into the bush that takes away the advantage of the natural weapons that the animal has. You notice that David Booth had a bow...with an arrow that is a stand-off weapon designed to put some distance between the shooter and the target. The bear was shot with a bow as well. Give him a knife in his hand and Booth wouldn't have stood a chance if he had to close with the bear and engage it in hand to hand combat.

Make no mistake. I really don't give a rat's ass whether Booth hunts or not, whether he poses with his kill or not. The people getting absolutely foaming at the mouth need to do a little research to see if the animal is actually endangered or not. If Booth feels like he needs to pose...all the more power to him. Fine. I really don't give a crap. All I care about is how he performs on the ice and right now he hasn't impressed me.

If he kills something that is protected under the IUCN Red or Yellow list, that's when you'll see me concerned. Until then...I don't CARE!
Been a Canuck fan from Day 1 - Will be a Canuck fan till I draw my last breath.
If I'm lucky, I'll come back and haunt the damned team if they don't win a Stanley Cup before I kick off.

Posted Image

Our past: Our team. Forever Canucks

#81 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks, frazzy, because I truly am curious and willing to learn. Again, hunting for the purpose of sustenance and going out to acquire your own meat vs going to the store to support slaughterhouses is much different, to me, than simply killing an animal for a photo op. So I do appreciate the feedback and part of "discussing" any matter with two sides means keeping an open mind in the process.

The "lol butt hurt" comments are spam, so please don't bother unless you have something to contribute....

Posted Image

#82 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Can't we just live and let goat?
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#83 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I live in Texas where hunting is a huge past time for the locals. ( im an expat from Van) I am not a hunter but I do not disprove of it. I am not exactly fond of trophy hunting as I do not think having a dead stuffed animal in my living room or over my mantle appealing ( see girl friend ; wikipedia) but for food wise, I get it. Yes there is an abundance of commercially available meat but do you really want to eat it? Besides the fact that it is fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain, do you really know where it comes from? With hormones, feed, the different kinds of living arrangements, and the different substances used in processing the animal, would you still eat it if you knew exact was in the pork chop? Yes, there are different ways to get around all this but why shouldn't we be able to harvest our own food.

#84 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

No...the simple fact of the matter is that we're not the top of the food chain. The only reason we have an advantage is that we have items that we take with us into the bush that takes away the advantage of the natural weapons that the animal has. You notice that David Booth had a bow...with an arrow that is a stand-off weapon designed to put some distance between the shooter and the target. The bear was shot with a bow as well. Give him a knife in his hand and Booth wouldn't have stood a chance if he had to close with the bear and engage it in hand to hand combat.

The food chain is a vastly oversimplied one-dimensional model that has more place in an elementary school classroom than complex science.

But, technically, human beings are the most dominating force in any model of the "food chain". Many creatures in the animal kingdom use tools, strategy, and numbers to gain advantage over their prey. Human beings are no different. We are simply so advanced in our intelligence that there is nothing that we cannot kill and there is nothing that considers us a constant source of food.

Bears have teeth and claws. We have AA-12s.

We win.
Posted Image

#85 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

http://www.sportsnet..._mountain_goat/

Posted Image

Ok. I'm going to say out right that a) I don't eat non human animals; b ) I take non human animal ethics very seriously (I have a masters degree in philosophy on this very topic) & c) I'm a big fan of David Booth the hockey player. Further, I am not absolutely against hunting. There can be good reasons for it i.e. necessary wildlife management. So there are exceptions to the rule.

HOWEVER, as much as I don't want to dislike what Booth has done, I can't help but say that his reasoning just doesn't work, ethically speaking. Sure, hunting goats may be challenging but why should we care about that? Of course it is a thrill for the hunters, but what about the interests of the animals themselves? Don't they count for something Booth? Or is it all about human interests only?

This isn't intended to be a hater thread. It's too bad for the goat is all I'm saying. Would much rather hockey started (might keep Booth away from his 'hobby'). I find it ironic that as much of this bugs me I still would completely support Booth as a hockey player. I do wonder where Booth draws the line though.....

START THE SEASON!!! END THE MASSACRE (note: sarcasm)

***EDIT*** 14/10/12

Thought I should add this to show the lack of reasoning skill in a few posts.

Not eating non human animals does not logically entail eating human animals (we are animals too right). That is like saying because I don't eat appples which are fruit, then I must eat oranges which are fruit. I could not eat both, which is entirely possible. In other words, cannibalism simply doesn't follow, and for the record I don't eat humans.......sometimes.

The man has a hobby, if you don't like it too bad. there are lots of other people who do this and its (for the most part) regulated. I dont hunt and i wouldn't want to and from the point of view i ask you to shut up. the man is going to do what he wants and there is no amount complaining or whining from you that can change that.

Damnit NHL AND NHLPA!!! rid us of idiot threads like this...

#86 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Booth can do whatever the frack he wants....but seriously he needs way better PR skills

You can't put up pictures like this and not expect some sort of negative reaction..... unless you're extremely ignorant

I don't think he really cares if he gets negative reactions from this. How many of you care if people don't like your ideas of a good time or your recreation activities of choice?

"There's only one trophy in the world harder to get than this... And I'm getting that next." "I'm", not "we're". It's a team game, but David is making it his own, personal, conquest here. Like he will single handedly also go hunt that one down all on his own, without any help from his teammates. Hmmm....

If Booth single handedly delivers the cup to Vancouver, he will become legend and hero. All the power to his individual efforts.

^In checking out his Twitter feed (which I have never bothered to do), it leans me more in the direction I was heading with this. A taunting, in your face, feel to things that I find a little obnoxious, but I'll focus on DB on ice and hope that he makes me forget. He is 27 years old and, honestly, should probably be a littl moree sensitive to the fact that some aren't cool with trophy hunts. But it's his page and we can chose not to go there, which is what I'll do. A freedom of speech thing where he's entitled to do/say whatever the hell he wants in this life. With that, we're also entitled to feel the way we do in response. Enough of my time/two cents on this though, as it changes nothing....

This is bang on, if people do not wish to see these sort of things, then do not follow Booth on twitter. He, like the rest of us has the right to use it for whatever purpose we choose. He most likely posts these pictures because he is proud of his accomplishments and he wants to quickly and easily share with his friends and family. He does not choose for us to follow him, so if people are not ok with it, don't follow him. He shouldn't have to conform to the ideals of people he doesn't even know because we may not approve of his choices.

I've eaten all of the above myself and yes they are delicious. I have many friends that hunt. Booth is not in a position as a NHL player in a Canadian market to kill animals and post pics on the Internet. He represents the whole community and we are a pretty liberal town.

So because he is a gifted hard working professional athelete that people pay attention to, he should be punished, restricted and not allowed to pursue his hobbies and passions that have been a part of him since the beginning of his life? Who are you, who are we to make the choices and decisions for these people as to what they do with their free time?

The argument of "hes wealthy enough to buy his food, he shouldnt have to kill animals" etc is also null as I guarantee the costs associated with the process of taking down that goat far exceed what people unfamiliar with hunting would think. It is not a cheap adventure, and being the kind of hunter Booth is, a lifetime family passion, there is no way he is a bag and tag leave the body on the mountain to rot kind of hunter. And even if he did, he helped some very thankful animals up on the mountain find some easy meals.

It is interesting people believe he should act so differently because of his social status when he is just another human being pursuing a passion that millions of other people also enjoy. He did not post those pictures as a status symbol to impress his fans, he posted them entirely because he was proud of his accomplishment and he wanted to share his success with friends and family. Taking pictures with the animal has been a part of hunting since cameras were invented, it is part of the culture of the sport.

Taking down that goat with a compound bow like he did is an absolutely incredible accomplishment, most people use rifles from hundreds of yards away. He has every right to be proud of his accomplishment, and it is highly unlikely that he is worried that people don't like the fact that he did it.

Everyone should move on, the ethics of hunting is an age old debate that won't be resolved on the boards of CDC.

#87 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

The food chain is a vastly oversimplied one-dimensional model that has more place in an elementary school classroom than complex science.

But, technically, human beings are the most dominating force in any model of the "food chain". Many creatures in the animal kingdom use tools, strategy, and numbers to gain advantage over their prey. Human beings are no different. We are simply so advanced in our intelligence that there is nothing that we cannot kill and there is nothing that considers us a constant source of food.

Bears have teeth and claws. We have AA-12s.

We win.

If you're referring to the Atchison Automatic Shotgun, I'd suggest other avenues of killing your animals...or you might end up with a steak that looks like swiss cheese depending on the buckshot you use.

When you count tools, I don't see any animal other than primates using "tools" and a few birds (which will crack nuts on rocks) or possibly a few cetaceans. Other than that the world is full of animals who get by on their teeth and claws. And thrust into a situation where we don't have the "tools" and are reduced to spears and rocks to hunt game...we'd lose very quickly. Even hunting in the cavemen days was fraught with danger and many times hunters didn't come home.
Been a Canuck fan from Day 1 - Will be a Canuck fan till I draw my last breath.
If I'm lucky, I'll come back and haunt the damned team if they don't win a Stanley Cup before I kick off.

Posted Image

Our past: Our team. Forever Canucks

#88 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

What's worse an animal getting hit by a car or attacked by other animals? or one getting shot and having a quick painless death for the most part and being used as food and other purposes?

This is why people don't like nuck fans, you guys are whiners and get to into other peoples business, hes' not doing anything illegal or wrong. If he was out killing animals every day then go at him all you want. How do you think people survived in the olden days?

It's also a lot healther then going to your local supermarket and buying meat where it's full of preservatives and other sh!t and the animals you eat from there go through way worse things.

Maybe he wanted to try goat?

YOLO

:lol:

Edited by TheGame., 14 October 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#89 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

What's worse an animal getting hit by a car or attacked by other animals? or one getting shot and having a quick painless death for the most part and being used as food and other purposes?

One is an accident, the next is just a part of nature. The "one getting shot" is someone's choice to do so and, unless they are using the meat for food, senseless.

This is why people don't like nuck fans, you guys are whiners and get to into other peoples business, hes' not doing anything illegal or wrong. If he was out killing animals every day then go at him all you want. How do you think people survived in the olden days? Way to generalize/troll. Watch that. And we're not "in the olden days", so that point is irrelevant.

It's also a lot healther then going to your local supermarket and buying meat where it's full of preservatives and other stuff and the animals you eat from there go through way worse things.
This was more likely a trophy hunt but, if it is a kill whereby the meat will be used - yes, you're right. Although please don't bypass the swear filters to make your point.
Maybe he wanted to try goat?

YOLO Some people also hate this garbage. Me included.

:lol:

Posted Image

#90 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

im going to go kill a goat right now

try and stop me
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.