Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Man I miss hockey.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#92 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

I don't think he really cares if he gets negative reactions from this. How many of you care if people don't like your ideas of a good time or your recreation activities of choice?

If Booth single handedly delivers the cup to Vancouver, he will become legend and hero. All the power to his individual efforts.

This is bang on, if people do not wish to see these sort of things, then do not follow Booth on twitter. He, like the rest of us has the right to use it for whatever purpose we choose. He most likely posts these pictures because he is proud of his accomplishments and he wants to quickly and easily share with his friends and family. He does not choose for us to follow him, so if people are not ok with it, don't follow him. He shouldn't have to conform to the ideals of people he doesn't even know because we may not approve of his choices.

So because he is a gifted hard working professional athelete that people pay attention to, he should be punished, restricted and not allowed to pursue his hobbies and passions that have been a part of him since the beginning of his life? Who are you, who are we to make the choices and decisions for these people as to what they do with their free time?

The argument of "hes wealthy enough to buy his food, he shouldnt have to kill animals" etc is also null as I guarantee the costs associated with the process of taking down that goat far exceed what people unfamiliar with hunting would think. It is not a cheap adventure, and being the kind of hunter Booth is, a lifetime family passion, there is no way he is a bag and tag leave the body on the mountain to rot kind of hunter. And even if he did, he helped some very thankful animals up on the mountain find some easy meals.

It is interesting people believe he should act so differently because of his social status when he is just another human being pursuing a passion that millions of other people also enjoy. He did not post those pictures as a status symbol to impress his fans, he posted them entirely because he was proud of his accomplishment and he wanted to share his success with friends and family. Taking pictures with the animal has been a part of hunting since cameras were invented, it is part of the culture of the sport.

Taking down that goat with a compound bow like he did is an absolutely incredible accomplishment, most people use rifles from hundreds of yards away. He has every right to be proud of his accomplishment, and it is highly unlikely that he is worried that people don't like the fact that he did it.

Everyone should move on, the ethics of hunting is an age old debate that won't be resolved on the boards of CDC.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice. (your very last sentence)

Optics aren't right. Nothing to do with Booth's wealth

Bear baiting is not ethical IMO, and in my belief majority of Canadians' opinion.

I will go on record right now and say Booth will not be a Vancouver Canucks by the time the next NHL season ends, whenever that is.

#93 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

When you count tools, I don't see any animal other than primates using "tools" and a few birds (which will crack nuts on rocks) or possibly a few cetaceans. Other than that the world is full of animals who get by on their teeth and claws. And thrust into a situation where we don't have the "tools" and are reduced to spears and rocks to hunt game...we'd lose very quickly. Even hunting in the cavemen days was fraught with danger and many times hunters didn't come home.

Primates, birds, elephants, dolphins, otters, etc. all showcase uses of tools in the natural world. Generally, the more intellectually evolved a species is, the more likely they are to find a usage for tools in their acquisition of food.

If human beings were reduced to using spears and rocks to hunt game, they would quickly adapt and evolve their methods of hunting and killing. That's what humans do. And that's why we dominate the animal kingdom.
Posted Image

#94 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yeah Baby. SeaHawks Defense.

#95 velocity

velocity

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Booth doesnt post those things for the haters, he posts them for the appreciators, if you dont want to see it there is a very simple course of action: dont follow him,

he posts those for his family and friends who share his interests, not to piss you off, many of his animal are extremely hard to tag and require endureing both weather and physical stresses. congrats to Booth on his success and enjoy the fantastic tablefare.

#96 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,669 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Booth can do whatever the frack he wants....but seriously he needs way better PR skills

You can't put up pictures like this and not expect some sort of negative reaction..... unless you're extremely ignorant

I'm pretty sure his PR skills are fine, judging by the fact that his boss (GMMG) hasn't shipped his arse out of town.

#97 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm pretty sure his PR skills are fine, judging by the fact that his boss (GMMG) hasn't shipped his arse out of town.

He will be shipped out of town.

#98 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Awesome stuff. Good kill Boothie! I'd love to go on a hunting trip with him!!

People stop complaining. If you are a vigilante vegetarian, then go ahead and voice your opinion, but to all you grocery store meat eating hypocrites out there, stuff it.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#99 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Perhaps you should follow your own advice. (your very last sentence)

Optics aren't right. Nothing to do with Booth's wealth

Bear baiting is not ethical IMO, and in my belief majority of Canadians' opinion.

I will go on record right now and say Booth will not be a Vancouver Canucks by the time the next NHL season ends, whenever that is.

That and whether the meat was consumed is the ONLY points that can be questioned. I don't agree with baiting, but I believe nearly ALL hunters eat their kills.

I am not sure why you going on record that he won't be here makes it any more likely.

Posted Image

#100 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

1. Can you eat large mountain goat? Everything I've read indicates it's awful, so honestly not clear on this.

2. "I DO NOT CARE, And nor should you." Because we all should follow your lead and do what you do? I highly doubt it and we're all capable of deciding what we do/don't care about.

"If you don't like it, don't watch". You've just helped make my point - I don't want to watch, but in moderating a hockey site I've clicked on a thread that had a picture. One that David Booth put out there for the world to see - so, by the same token, "if you don't want people to comment, don't put it out there". If he'd just go about his business of hunting then no one would notice/care/watch. But he's a high profile athlete in the spotlight who's using social media to post these trophy shots, so he's also fair game, no?

I don't think the arguement is that David Booth has a problem with the reactions he's getting, he's made that clear by posting a couple of fantastic hunting pics, but it's people who think they can pass judgment on someone because of the things they do in their personal lives that make this a big deal.

Should I judge you because you like to come home after work and have a drink, or maybe you went and partied with your girlfreinds over the weekend and made mention of it on your twitter, should you be judged? "I think she might be a lesbian" "I bet she's an alcoholic"

It's been said now, but if you don't like what he posts on his twitter account simply do not follow him, I think it's foolish myself for a professional athlete to let "fans" so close to their personal lives. If twitter didn't exsist this event never took place as far as us the "fans" are concerned
If you don't agree with what someone does in their personal lives, maybe stay out of their personal lives.

"Do not judge so that you will not be judged"
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#101 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Booth makes me sick and so do all trophy game hunters.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#102 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

vegetarians are dumb. eat according to your biology.

also, what makes eating an animal so much worse than eating a plant? both are alive, and eating plants is worse for the planet than eating animals (since plants produce oxygen while animals deplete it).

I feel like this is subtle sarcasm, and if so well played sir. If not... wow...
Posted Image

#103 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

But "come over and eat these steaks from this meat factory that processes 4700 (yes, four thousand, seven hundred. XL Foods) cows per day" (!!!) is fine?

Like, even if he didn't eat it, even if he just got it for the trophy ... it's such an inconsequential impact on ... everything ...

That's great that Bieksa and friends are doing charity games and showing up at junior practices and such, but that's their choice. If your co-workers go out and do charity work with their free time, does it make you a bad person if you pursue your hobbies and interests instead? Give me a break ...

Exactly put. I'm a veggie but not super militant. I think that eating animals is fine, if it's done in moderation and the animal is treated humanely. But big meat factories like this don't just make the slaughter remote and intangible for most consumers, they are incredibly, shockingly cruel.

I'm not a fan of sport hunting, not at all. But at least Booth does the dirty work himself, and presumably cleans his kill.

Anyone who eats a McDonald's burger, or a factory produced steak, has no leg to stand on in criticizing him.
Posted Image

#104 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

He's a hunter. He likes to hunt. He likes to show off his feats on twitter. Yes, he's in the spotlight and is considered to be a celebrity in this town... but he's not gonna live his life to please the fans. There is an unfollow button for a reason.

I'm impressed with his kills. Some pretty awesome pictures actually. The one with his pet pig trumps them all though.

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 14 October 2012 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

#105 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

1. Can you eat large mountain goat? Everything I've read indicates it's awful, so honestly not clear on this.

2. "I DO NOT CARE, And nor should you." Because we all should follow your lead and do what you do? I highly doubt it and we're all capable of deciding what we do/don't care about.

"If you don't like it, don't watch". You've just helped make my point - I don't want to watch, but in moderating a hockey site I've clicked on a thread that had a picture. One that David Booth put out there for the world to see - so, by the same token, "if you don't want people to comment, don't put it out there". If he'd just go about his business of hunting then no one would notice/care/watch. But he's a high profile athlete in the spotlight who's using social media to post these trophy shots, so he's also fair game, no?

I've eaten plenty of Goat meat in my life. North American taste buds prefer lamb but goat is an excellent meat. Just like free range chicken or beef tastes better (and costs more) natural meat tastes much much better.

I've also eaten black bear. My friend hunted a black bear last year. Ridiculously smelly meat so it needs to be cooked right in order to get the smell out, my friend cooked it as good as one can.

If you are familiar with the Yin/Yang concept bear meat is super yang. Its a "hot" meat. Goat is also "hot". Excellent in the winter. Chinese call it Yin/Yang, Punjabis call it hot/cold (garam/sard). Not hot/cold in temperature or spice, its Yin/Yang or Hot/Cold in the effect the food has on the body.

I grew up on a farm so killing an animal to eat it is not out of the ordinary for me.

Having said all of the above I don't think Vancouver is the right hockey market for Booth. He is a "public figure". Booth represents the entire city and needs to be mindful of his position in our beautiful city. Booth has every legal right to hunt but being a pro hockey player in Vancouver has limitations on what one does in his free time.

I feel MG will/should trade Booth asap.

#106 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

That and whether the meat was consumed is the ONLY points that can be questioned. I don't agree with baiting, but I believe nearly ALL hunters eat their kills.

I am not sure why you going on record that he won't be here makes it any more likely.

You believe wrong when you say "nearly ALL hunters eat their kills". Many of my friends are hunters.

On your 2nd point, I'm a political junkie, kinda see it coming.

#107 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Frack this lockout needs to end!

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#108 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

There is a fishing lodge in Haida Gwaii that have a picture of both Sedin twins with Tyee Salmon (over 30 pounds). Now if that picture was posted would everyone start hating them?

#109 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Yet, the majority of Canadians have no problem sinking their teeth in a burger packed with meat from an animal that was bread specifically to die.

Human beings have been using bait for thousands of years. Hell, what's difference between bear bating and chuming or groundbating? Are fish not as cute?
Posted Image

#110 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I like pancakes.

#111 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Anyone who eats a McDonald's burger, or a factory produced steak, has no leg to stand on in criticizing him.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a vegetarian and I love to eat all types of meat. However, too many people are quick to judge Booth for his hunting hobby while having no clue how the steak or chicken they're eating arrives in neat saran wrapped packages.

Just look at how much food people waste either because they can't finish what they order or because they don't like a particular cut of meat (i.e., too much fat, gristle, etc.). How much meat is left on the bone when eating wings or ribs? This is something that everyone has been witness to. In my opinion, any food wasted is an act of disrespect towards the sacrifice made by the animal for our consumption.

I would highly recommend that people watch the documentary Earthlings. As with all documentaries, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt as it's obviously slanted towards one point of view. However, the footage is real and helped me gain an even greater respect for the food on my plate.

Note: This documentary is not easy to watch so viewer's discretion is advised.

#112 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

There is a fishing lodge in Haida Gwaii that have a picture of both Sedin twins with Tyee Salmon (over 30 pounds). Now if that picture was posted would everyone start hating them?

]What the heck is a Tyee salmon?

Posted Image

#113 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

]What the heck is a Tyee salmon?

Chinook Salmon
Posted Image

#114 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

You believe wrong when you say "nearly ALL hunters eat their kills". Many of my friends are hunters.

On your 2nd point, I'm a political junkie, kinda see it coming.

If your friends are hunting solely for a trophy, then you should slap them. Then offer to fill your freezer with their unwanted meat. I love wild meat.

Posted Image

#115 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Chinook Salmon

Springs. Gotcha. I assumed that's what you meant, but I have never heard them called a Tyee.

Posted Image

#116 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yet, the majority of Canadians have no problem sinking their teeth in a burger packed with meat from an animal that was bread specifically to die.

Human beings have been using bait for thousands of years. Hell, what's difference between bear bating and chuming or groundbating? Are fish not as cute?

The worst thing about CDC is ppl not reading previous comments in the thread they post in.

My post was not long so why edit my it and quote only one sentence. You are misrepresenting my opinion on the subject.

C'mon man.

#117 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

If your friends are hunting solely for a trophy, then you should slap them. Then offer to fill your freezer with their unwanted meat. I love wild meat.

No one suggested my friends trophy hunt, but they don't eat all the meat. It's impossible to eat all that meat.

I would never slap any of my friends. They are my friends, I respect them. I will slap someone if they told me to slap one of my friends to my face. My slaps hurt.

My freezers are always filled, regardless of my friends hunting or not.

Edited by WHL rocks, 14 October 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#118 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

The worst thing about CDC is ppl not reading previous comments in the thread they post in.

My post was not long so why edit my it and quote only one sentence. You are misrepresenting my opinion on the subject.

C'mon man.

Official list of the worst things about CDC:
1: No NHL hockey to talk about
2: King of the BS
3: People not reading previous comments in the thread they post in

Clearly people not reading previous posts is NOT the worst part of CDC.

Posted Image

#119 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

No one suggested my friends trophy hunt, but they don't eat all the meat. It's impossible to eat all that meat.

I would never slap any of my friends. They are my friends, I respect them. I will slap someone if they told me to slap one of my friends to my face. My slaps hurt.

My freezers are always filled, regardless of my friends hunting or not.

I thought you were insinuating that you had friends that don't eat the meat. Also, I know not ALL the meat gets consumed, but most of the animal is quite edible. I am against people that take a rack or a head or a skin and leave the rest for the coyotes.

Posted Image

#120 Dr.G

Dr.G

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

I don't have a problem with hunting. What I do have a problem with is the fact that this guy has apparently forgotten how to be a professional hockey player. Players around the league are practicing, skating with teammates, going to Europe to play, while this monkey is out shooting goats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.