333 replies to this topic

#121 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

What's the deal with people shunning hunting? There's nothing wrong with going to a McDonalds, but you don't like it when someone hunts? Sure, he probably won't eat the animal.. I mean who would wanna eat a goat, but I don't see the world being damaged because of this. lol All I see is your little wee feelings being hurt because there's one less goat in the world.

EDIT: By the way, the Sedin twins are gonna be G.O.A.T's, maybe we can get Booth to hunt them next? :lol:

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 14 October 2012 - 06:24 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#122 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Not eating non human animals does not logically entail eating human animals (we are animals too right). That is like saying because I don't eat appples which are fruit, then I must eat oranges which are fruit. I could not eat both, which is entirely possible. In other words, cannibalism simply doesn't follow, and for the record I don't eat humans.......sometimes.

Then why not just say you don't eat animals. That's like saying you don't eat apples... or any other fruit, just say you don't eat fruit. You're asking to get flamed when you word something so deliberately poorly.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#123 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

What's the deal with people shunning hunting? There's nothing wrong with going to a McDonalds, but you don't like it when someone hunts? Sure, he probably won't eat the animal.. I mean who would wanna eat a goat, but I don't see the world being damaged because of this. lol All I see is your little wee feelings being hurt because there's one less goat in the world.

EDIT: By the way, the Sedin twins are gonna be G.O.A.T's, maybe we can get Booth to hunt them next? :lol:

Don't get your edit/joke.

Have you ever eaten goat? If you haven't you should try it sometime, one of the best meats you'll ever have, especially wild goat. I would take it off Booth's hands any day of the week.

#124 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Then why not just say you don't eat animals. That's like saying you don't eat apples... or any other fruit, just say you don't eat fruit. You're asking to get flamed when you word something so deliberately poorly.

I've decided to edit the OP with posts I find humorous &/or ridiculous. You've been added.

G4fSut.gif

#125 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

I've decided to edit the OP with posts I find humorous &/or ridiculous. You've been added.

Posted Image
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#126 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

and in actual hockey news we have...
just a minute, it's here somewhere....
er' a lockout? no wait!
Wolves win!!!! again!!!!!!!!!

#127 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

And we should hate that he hunts? I see pictures of people hunting on facebook all the time, it's a thing people do.
Posted Image

#128 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

He's a multi millionaire who works for an extremely public organization. He has an agent and management team that probably watch him like a hawk (one that he wishes he could shoot)

I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but his redneck behaviour does disturb me. Like Deb highlighted, the whole posing with dead animals and plastering it all over twitter (or whatever) does seem a bit crass and selfish... an attitude issue that could also explain his approach to how he plays hockey.

The other day my dentist was prattling on about his hunting trips coming up, and I wanted to tell him to be quiet. I don't care if he does it, but he should know that it's a sensitive subject for some, and I certainly don't want to hear it. Just because I'm a rugged, good looking young man doesn't mean I'm into that stuff!

Hunt if you want (I guess...), but keep it to yourself.

Now if we could only get the militant animal rights activists on this forum to keep their extremist views to themselves as well, we'd be all set. I find them far more annoying than someone doing a legal activity that humans have been doing since the dawn of our existence.

Also, if someone talking about a subject you're not interested in is so traumatic for you, perhaps you should have gone ahead and told the dentist--if it was that big of a deal.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 14 October 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#129 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for that brilliant contribution.

It's more useful than what u said when u freaked out about "morals" and how it's wrong

#130 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Well, when you see guys like Bieksa and the twins working to improve their game and try and do something for the community. Its hard to look at this and not think, really you want me to support you in this lockout dispute?

I also have a hard time believing that he is going to eat that goat. You never hear people saying "come over to my place for some Mountain Goat tonight" Wouldn't think it would be anything but really gamy meat considering their diet.

I think maybe he is trying to capture the goats spirit. Couple that with his bear, fantastic super powers. I see a big increase in future production.

#131 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Well, when you see guys like Bieksa and the twins working to improve their game and try and do something for the community. Its hard to look at this and not think, really you want me to support you in this lockout dispute?

I also have a hard time believing that he is going to eat that goat. You never hear people saying "come over to my place for some Mountain Goat tonight" Wouldn't think it would be anything but really gamy meat considering their diet.

I think maybe he is trying to capture the goats spirit. Couple that with his bear, fantastic super powers. I see a big increase in future production.

#132 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Now if we could only get the militant animal rights activists on this forum to keep their extremist views to themselves as well, we'd be all set. I find them far more annoying than someone doing a legal activity that humans have been doing since the dawn of our existence.

Also, if someone talking about a subject you're not interested in is so traumatic for you, perhaps you should have gone ahead and told the dentist--if it was that big of a deal.

I think you would be surprised what a militant animal rights activist would be like. I've read through the posts and no one even comes close a position like that. Trust me, I argue with those folks all the time.

As far as talking about ethical issues goes, sure you find it bothersome. maybe you find it preachy but I don't think anyone one this forum has done that. Although I personally am in disagreement with Booth's actions, it was more his reasoning that perturbed me.

In any event, animal ethics is an issue worth talking about (sometimes at least), just like slavery, racism, homophobia and sexism are all ethically relevant.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 14 October 2012 - 10:21 PM.

G4fSut.gif

#133 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Because the implication is that 'animals' are distinct from humans. You're making it more confusing than it is.

Actually I'd argue you made it more confusing than it has to be. In an average conversation someone would say "they don't eat meat" or "they don't eat animals". I'm sure you had some weird ideological reason for saying "non-human animals" but I certainly wouldn't be arguing that your uncommon phraseology makes things any less confusing.

#134 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Crying or speaking out against this is almost as uncomfortable as talking about religion, being gay, or black, or whatever else nobody cares about on a hockey related website.

It is a far cry from all the frappuccino tree hugging vegans of Vancouver, but he likes it, so leave him alone, the whole world cant possibly be as cool as you.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#135 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

I don't have a problem with hunting. What I do have a problem with is the fact that this guy has apparently forgotten how to be a professional hockey player. Players around the league are practicing, skating with teammates, going to Europe to play, while this monkey is out shooting goats.

You're right, how dare he not play hockey even though there is no season and he is not required to practice!

It's his life let him do whatever he wants, as long as it's legal and whadda you know, hunting mammoth goat things is.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#136 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

And we should hate that he hunts? I see pictures of people hunting on facebook all the time, it's a thing people do.

but liek omgz he'z famos.

Edited by Pekka Rinne, 14 October 2012 - 10:45 PM.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#137 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

• Actually I'd argue you made it more confusing than it has to be.
  • In an average conversation someone would say "they don't eat meat" or "they don't eat animals".
  • I'm sure you had some weird ideological reason for saying "non-human animals" but I certainly wouldn't be arguing that your uncommon phraseology makes things any less confusing.

1. It might be confusing if you immediately jump to conclusions (and that indicates poor reasoning).
2. And your point is?
3. I don't have any ideological reason. Rather, I prefer avoiding ambiguity (look up the meaning). If you're confused, think it through. It's actually quite simple. No need to make it any more confusing then you already are making it out to be.

G4fSut.gif

#138 Colonel D

Colonel D

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Here is the issue I have with this issue. And yes I fish. The first issue with animals such as this is that they are rare to behold, so removing one so others can not share the joy in seeing them is selfish. The comment about ego stroking is correct. Booth gets great enjoyment from killing it, well a lot of people get enjoyment from seeing it alive in it's natural habitat. The joy of one does not over ride the joy of many.

But here is my real issue with this.

This guy is an overpaid floater that plays softer than he should or is expected of him. It seems we need to put a can of meat inside the net so maybe he will start to go there more often. Can someone please make a pic of that!!!

The fact that he is an overpaid floater when we are in dire need of a power forward means this guy is on the bubble with me. His salary hit could be used somewhere more effective. His quote with 5 games remaining in the season when he stated "I realize that I need to start using my body more and play more aggressively"....no S*&T SHERLOCK, took you this long to figure it out?

So when he seems to shows moronic tendency and obvious disregard to sensibilities I start to think this guy is not the sharpest mind in the sandbox plus compound his salary to point ratio and soft play to me equals that he has to go. We need a power forward and he is clearly not earning his money.

What ever Gillis said publicly I would bet that a conversation about possible PR skills happened and his disregard to that conversation proves ego over team. Large part of the greatness of our Canucks are there community involvement A player flaunting his actions that divide opinion on such a sensitive topic in our community diminishes his ability to represent the Canucks.

One might say he didn't expect the negative backlash after the first incident, but he should have smartened up and not re-tweeted the nuggent tweet and now this. Guys not to sharp or just doesnt care, either way, not good for the team. An obviously Ted Nuggent doesn't watch him play as all I see is a Floater perimeter player with size getting paid a lot of cap room to under perform.He is not using his body on the ice and not using his brain off of it.

I want a cup, Booth has had time to prove himself to be ineffective for the money, he has to go.

#139 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

1. It might be confusing if you immediately jump to conclusions (and that indicates poor reasoning).
2. And your point is?
3. I don't have any ideological reason. Rather, I prefer avoiding ambiguity (look up the meaning). If you're confused, think it through. It's actually quite simple. No need to make it any more confusing then you already are making it out to be.

(1) I didn't jump to conclusions--I never called you a cannibal. (2) I was merely pointing out why people were reacting the way they did. And actually most people who mentioned the cannibal thing were clearly joking in my view, I doubt they seriously were accusing you of being a cannibal. You're getting too worked up over nothing if you think they meant anything beyond jest--your quoting them certainly seems to hint at that. (3) The very fact you were trying to avoid ambiguity but several people made fun of your comment might give you a little hint that it didn't work the way you intended.

Thanks for the condescending comment but I certainly know what ambiguous means. I'd expect more from someone with a Master's in Philosophy.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 14 October 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#140 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

Survival of the fittest. Humans are at the top of the food chain. Deal with it.

I'm not a hunter but there's no way i'll have a lower opinion of Booth because he's a hunter.
Posted Image

#141 Lundymaphone

Lundymaphone

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

First off, I would like to say, holy crap that is a huge goat.

Secondly, correcting people's jokes for logical fallacies is not funny.

Thirdly, a masters in animal ethics, or a masters in philosophy with a specialization in animal ethics, is nothing to brag about. Ya I am not saying you are worthless because of the degree, but don't try to pimp it out like an asshole. No one cares about your crapty arts masters. If you had a degree in animal neurology or something, and actually knew some factual information, we may have a different opinion. This is not to say your opinion is invalid, simply put, your degree does not raise you above the rest of us and is not useful information.

Forth, anything under 2 metric tonnes shot with a rifle is not a challenge, end of that....now if he had killed it with a knife then I would be impressed. That said, posing with it is an asshole move (again unless you killed it with a knife or a stick or something). Also, killing mammals/birds for fun is a bit fracked up. If you enjoy the thrill of the chase, etc, that is fine. But enjoying the actual moment of impact is a little disturbing.

Fifth, am I the only one who does not like black bear meat?

Sixth, even vegans kill animals due to farming practices, both traditional and modern (especially if you eat grains, rodent holocaust there), so get over yourself.

Seventh (Pre-emptive), no I do not hunt, I consider it a waste of my time and I outsource that activity. That being said you bet your ass I would hunt if I had too (or I would at least try to..).

Edit: On another note, there is not "food chain". Most ecosystems are far more complicated then that. It would be more accurate to call us an apex predator, even if only a handful of members of the species actually formally fit that definition.

Edited by Lundymaphone, 14 October 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#142 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Survival of the fittest. Humans are at the top of the food chain. Deal with it.

I'm not a hunter but there's no way i'll have a lower opinion of Booth because he's a hunter.

Anyone that kills for trophy or enjoyment is a immoral douche-nozzle and doesn't deserve any respect for doing so. The way Booth 'hunts' he'd be better off just going to the zoo, shooting some animal or finding a barrel, loading it up with fish and tossing in a grenade. He's pathetic and so are all trophy hunters.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#143 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm always surprised when a conservation officer says " The cougar mistook the child for prey" after a cougar attack.

There was no mistake, a kid or an innattentive adult are prey to a cougar.

Opposable thumbs are our big equalizers with the animal world.

#144 JRSJ

JRSJ

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

Forth, anything under 2 metric tonnes shot with a rifle is not a challenge, end of that....now if he had killed it with a knife then I would be impressed. That said, posing with it is an asshole move (again unless you killed it with a knife or a stick or something).

Booth uses a compound hunting bow.

#145 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,675 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

He will be shipped out of town.

For his underachievement on the ice, or for his off-ice behaviour (which the team feels is acceptable)?

#146 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

(2) I was merely pointing out why people were reacting the way they did. And actually most people who mentioned the cannibal thing were clearly joking in my view, I doubt they seriously were accusing you of being a cannibal. You're getting too worked up over nothing if you think they meant anything beyond jest--your quoting them certainly seems to hint at that.

Well its nice to see someone else thought it was strange to see a discussion with people who have different views and ideas being shown off like a Booth trophy. Everyone says their point and people discuss it, that's why we are here. Clearly someone will be the next trophy, but who?

Do I still make the cut?

Edited by Mountain Man, 14 October 2012 - 11:54 PM.

virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#147 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Anyone that kills for trophy or enjoyment is a immoral douche-nozzle and doesn't deserve any respect for doing so. The way Booth 'hunts' he'd be better off just going to the zoo, shooting some animal or finding a barrel, loading it up with fish and tossing in a grenade. He's pathetic and so are all trophy hunters.

I doubt Booth really is looking for anyone's respect for hunting. He enjoys it personally and he's stated he eats the animals for food. He gets plenty of respect for being an NHL player in Vancouver.

I'm not sure what you were exactly getting at with the "he's better off shooting animals at the zoo" comment, but obviously shooting defenseless animals involves far less risk. If you were implying hunting is easy like shooting defenseless animals at the zoo, you'd be wrong. You can miss your shot, you can have your weapon jam, you can trip, you can get surprised etc. Hunting is actually fairly dangerous compared to other ways of getting meat.

I'd say Booth is more brave than the average meat eater for killing large game with a bow for food instead of driving down to a grocery store and buying it off a shelf. I don't really gain or lose respect for him either way for his hobby.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 14 October 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#148 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,252 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Don't complain until the hunter becomes the hunted.

140an3r.jpg

#149 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Who gives a crap? I'm sure many hockey players or even people that you know who you are friends with or respect do things you don't agree with, it doesn't mean they're terrible people or that they're complete douche nozzles. Unless you have some sort of personal relationship with David Booth where this sort of thing would divide you two, you shouldn't care about what he does off the ice.
Posted Image

#150 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Like Booth really cares if vegans criticize him? Of course he doesn't. He's doing whats legal so the reality is all this hoopla about him legally hunting a goat is wasted breath. Seriously, if it bothers people that much the reality is changing the laws that allow it would be more effective. Until then its like anyone of us who has a hobby. He's going to keep doing it. As long as its legal how are they going to stop him? They aren't.

We've got so many bigger problems like shark-finning, bullying in schools and whales getting killed and people are crying over one legally killed goat... yawn, no wonder kids are getting their asses beat down in school, sharks are sinking to the bottom of the ocean without their fins and whales keep getting chopped up all over the world. Small minds produce small results... or in this case no results. and this will come up again when he LEGALLY kills another animal... solving nothing.

Cheers, 

Canucks fan in SoCal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.