Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Now look what he's done!

Posted Image

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#212 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I think since humans are not on the IUCN Redlist or yellow list then hunting them should be fine too. If this forum isn't proof enough that the human race could use a little thinning out. Where's Hannibal when you need him.

#213 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Now look what he's done!

Posted Image

Ok, now it's time to raise a fuss! I'm sure that that is an endangered species!

#214 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

poor snuffy haha

#215 brob89

brob89

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Besides the point:
The absence of hockey does bizarre things to us Canucks fans.

Speaking more to the point:
Whether or not any of us support, condone, or practice trophy hunting
or eating non-human animals (first time I've heard this phrase, but then,
I apparently lack the required Masters in Philo/Animal Ethics to be familiar with this term)
is not really DB's problem in the same way that it's not our problem that he would desire that
we call Jesus "Lord."

This seems to be a case of us expecting DB to live according to values that he does not
share; and even furthermore; values that his society clearly does not share.
He has acted perhaps brutishly by some estimations, but legally, and for us to so
mercilessly berate him on internet is frankly, kind of embarrassing... and bullyish.
Is it right for us to expect a law abiding individual to set a standard higher than either
the law of the land or his own personal standards? I think not. That seems to be
infringing on his freedom.

If we want to discuss Peter Singer essays or discuss the different aspects of animal ethics,
that's one thing (although not really a canucks talk thing). But we seriously need to figure
out how to be more gracious with people who hold to values different from our own...
even when we're interacting on a medium like an internet forum where we need not fear real
life repercussions.

Perhaps if we were more gracious with the disagreeable aspects of other people's life choices,
they might be more inclined to allow us to use funny word choices without mocking us mercilessly.

P.S. To say that something is not necessarily entailed (ie. cannibalism) is not this same thing as saying
something necessarily not entailed... it leaves the door open... it remains possibly entailed. There are certainly better
ways to phrase your food choices. But then again, I say funny sounding things too. Including possibly
(or probably), the above post.

So like seriously, what's up with Luongo? Is he getting traded or what?

#216 velocity

velocity

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

"I'm wondering if any of the people complaining about Booth killing this goat have ever killed a spider or ant before..."

POACHERS

Defenceless animals

DID NOT EAT!

PAIN and suffering

can afford other food

(sarcasm hopefully aparent)

Edited by velocity, 15 October 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#217 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

"I'm wondering if any of the people complaining about Booth killing this goat have ever killed a spider or ant before..."

POACHERS

Defenceless animals

DID NOT EAT!

PAIN and suffering

can afford other food

You're a silly man. The ramblings of man gone crazy.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#218 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Humor me this:

Is it considered "hunting" when man, atop the food chain, destroying the planet daily, kills a defenseless animal with an engineered weapon for any reason other than mercy?
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#219 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Now that it has dawned on the meat eating, anti Booth crowd that their position is untenable on account of hypocrisy (my compliments, it ain't always easy rubbing two brain cells together), the discussion has deftly turned to the question of public perception. Among his alleged shortcomings, he:

- takes trophies (Men competing with one another? You don’t say.)

- enjoys doing it (Is there an opposite aspect to hobby?)

- partakes in a “rich man’s sport” ($ and surroundings underlie our choices. Revelation?)

- shares his experiences with interested observers (Note the emphasis.)

By my rough estimate slightly over 50% of the respondents here are either pro Booth or indifferent to the affair. Given that CDC is mostly young--cradle to school PC edumacated crowd--it is safe to say that a comfortable majority of Canuck Nation see this as a non issue. And yes, the Canucks cater to more than the lower mainland since they market themselves as a provincial team.

If the activity in question is inherent in the behavior of man since time immemorial, and presently legal, then one would be well advised to check the source of your own negative perception. Was your upbringing that comfy; devoid of contact with nature and all that goes on? Bellyaching of few sports newsreaders, or net moral relativists, that persuasive?

Is it not interesting that while our society is inundated with advertising extolling our individuality (think the use of T-shirts in commercials, among countless others), genuine differences are being mercilessly expunged by PC pressure tactics everywhere one looks.

#220 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

huh?

#221 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

This seems to be a case of us expecting DB to live according to values that he does not
share; and even furthermore; values that his society clearly does not share.
He has acted perhaps brutishly by some estimations, but legally, and for us to so
mercilessly berate him on internet is frankly, kind of embarrassing... and bullyish.

Is it right for us to expect a law abiding individual to set a standard higher than either
the law of the land or his own personal standards? I think not. That seems to be
infringing on his freedom.

I think that's a flawed argument. There are many that are considered 'legal' that are still not right. And, for that matter, a lot of things that are not legal that should be. For example, it is not 'legal' for homosexuals to get married in many US states: does that make it wrong?

I think this kind of 'merciless beratement' is a good thing. He's been quite public with these killings, and some people are standing up and saying 'hey, I don't like that'. It's good. If he can't take that kind of criticism, I'm sure he'll stop posting pics.
Posted Image

#222 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Now look what he's done!

Posted Image

Posted Image
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#223 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Its no knife but it is a start, next step longbow, then spear, then sword, then dagger....

My uncle hunts with both re-curve and longbows. We used togo shoot foam targets in his back yard. It is WAY harder than you'd think. Bows are a lot of fun.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#224 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Now that it has dawned on the meat eating, anti Booth crowd that their position is untenable on account of hypocrisy (my compliments, it ain't always easy rubbing two brain cells together), the discussion has deftly turned to the question of public perception. Among his alleged shortcomings, he:

- takes trophies (Men competing with one another? You don’t say.)

- enjoys doing it (Is there an opposite aspect to hobby?)

- partakes in a “rich man’s sport” ($ and surroundings underlie our choices. Revelation?)

- shares his experiences with interested observers (Note the emphasis.)

By my rough estimate slightly over 50% of the respondents here are either pro Booth or indifferent to the affair. Given that CDC is mostly young--cradle to school PC edumacated crowd--it is safe to say that a comfortable majority of Canuck Nation see this as a non issue. And yes, the Canucks cater to more than the lower mainland since they market themselves as a provincial team.

If the activity in question is inherent in the behavior of man since time immemorial, and presently legal, then one would be well advised to check the source of your own negative perception. Was your upbringing that comfy; devoid of contact with nature and all that goes on? Bellyaching of few sports newsreaders, or net moral relativists, that persuasive?

Is it not interesting that while our society is inundated with advertising extolling our individuality (think the use of T-shirts in commercials, among countless others), genuine differences are being mercilessly expunged by PC pressure tactics everywhere one looks.

It's not untenable. Your conclusion is in error because your premise is fallacious and your comprehension of the argument virtually non-existent at worst and mistaken at best.

There's in immorality aspect connected to killing for pleasure and an inherent unnecessary reason for someone who can provide themselves with more than sufficient sustenance of almost any persuasion to use the excuse that they're hunting for sustenance, which leaves the pleasure aspect back again front and center. It's inescapable. We know Booth hunts to get his rocks off, and his twitter pics and text clearly indicate as much.

By the way, he's not competing with a man, he's competing with an animal while holding almost every unfair advantage possible. That's not sporting, unless in the world of courageous hunter-warriors that is, and if so, then they're all the more pathetic.

But you keep on thinking that he's some mythic hero for taking out a helpless goat.

When I was twelve, I went hunting with my father and we shot a bird. He was laying there and something struck me. Why do we call this fun to kill this creature who was as happy as I was when I woke up this morning

Marv Levy

Hunting is not a proper employment for a thinking man.

Joesph Addison

Civilized life has altogether grown too tame, and, if it is to be stable, it must provide a harmless outlets for the impulses which our remote ancestors satisfied in hunting

Bertrand Russell

“Wildlife, we are constantly told, would run loose across our towns and cities were it not for the sport hunters to control their population, as birds would blanket the skies without the culling services of Ducks Unlimited and other groups. Yet here they are breeding wild animals, year after year replenishing the stock, all for the sole purpose of selling and killing them, deer and bears and elephants so many products being readied for the market. Animals such as deer, we are told, have no predators in many areas, and therefore need systematic culling. Yet when attempts are made to reintroduce natural predators such as wolves and coyotes into these very areas, sport hunters themselves are the first to resist it. Weaker animals in the wild, we hear, will only die miserable deaths by starvation and exposure without sport hunters to control their population. Yet it's the bigger, stronger animals they're killing and wounding--the very opposite of natural selection--often with bows and pistols that only compound and prolong the victim's suffering.”

Matthew Scully, Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#225 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

It's not untenable. Your conclusion is in error because your premise is fallacious and your comprehension of the argument virtually non-existent at worst and mistaken at best.

There's in immorality aspect connected to killing for pleasure and an inherent unnecessary reason for someone who can provide themselves with more than sufficient sustenance of almost any persuasion to use the excuse that they're hunting for sustenance, which leaves the pleasure aspect back again front and center. It's inescapable. We know Booth hunts to get his rocks off, and his twitter pics and text clearly indicate as much.

By the way, he's not competing with a man, he's competing with an animal while holding almost every unfair advantage possible. That's not sporting, unless in the world of courageous hunter-warriors that is, and if so, then they're all the more pathetic.

But you keep on thinking that he's some mythic hero for taking out a helpless goat.

When I was twelve, I went hunting with my father and we shot a bird. He was laying there and something struck me. Why do we call this fun to kill this creature who was as happy as I was when I woke up this morning

Marv Levy

Hunting is not a proper employment for a thinking man.

Joesph Addison

Civilized life has altogether grown too tame, and, if it is to be stable, it must provide a harmless outlets for the impulses which our remote ancestors satisfied in hunting

Bertrand Russell

“Wildlife, we are constantly told, would run loose across our towns and cities were it not for the sport hunters to control their population, as birds would blanket the skies without the culling services of Ducks Unlimited and other groups. Yet here they are breeding wild animals, year after year replenishing the stock, all for the sole purpose of selling and killing them, deer and bears and elephants so many products being readied for the market. Animals such as deer, we are told, have no predators in many areas, and therefore need systematic culling. Yet when attempts are made to reintroduce natural predators such as wolves and coyotes into these very areas, sport hunters themselves are the first to resist it. Weaker animals in the wild, we hear, will only die miserable deaths by starvation and exposure without sport hunters to control their population. Yet it's the bigger, stronger animals they're killing and wounding--the very opposite of natural selection--often with bows and pistols that only compound and prolong the victim's suffering.”

Matthew Scully, Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy

I can never understand your side of the debate/argument because you use huge words, and undescribably fantastic vocabulary.

This means you win every single debate/argument you partake in. Because I said.

EDIT: Re-read it...nevermind, I can understand.

But still..

Edited by MaximYapierre, 15 October 2012 - 10:25 PM.

CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#226 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I can never understand your side of the debate/argument because you use huge words, and undescribably fantastic vocabulary.

This means you win every single debate/argument you partake in. Because I said.

EDIT: Re-read it...nevermind, I can understand.

But still..

Expand your vocabulary and you'll expand your mind and your understanding of the world around you.

#227 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

i can only hope that one day the hunter becomes the hunted
Posted Image

#228 Dr.G

Dr.G

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

You're right, how dare he not play hockey even though there is no season and he is not required to practice!

It's his life let him do whatever he wants, as long as it's legal and whadda you know, hunting mammoth goat things is.

I'm well aware he's not, thanks tips. But that's what differentiates a professional who always wants to get better vs. a slug. Just an FYI, the NHL ISN'T the only hockey league in the world. He just doesn't care enough and takes his job for granted. While most NHLers are playing overseas or practicing in their own little groups, this guy is staying as far away from the ice as possible, trying to look cool in front of dead animals. Good thing we have him under contract for many more years!

#229 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

We've all got our contradictions.
I see a spider in my house, I grab it, take it outside and let it go. Don't take any pleasure whatsoever in hurting anything.
But.
I see a silverfish. I stomp it. Mosquitoes - hunt and kill them mercilessly and never think twice. Find a flea on my pet - flush that bastard down the toilet...
?

I don't judge in any way my Native friends who relate to, respect and hunt animals for food and materials. There is no guilt to be felt about being a part of nature and taking what we need to survive. Instead of guilt there is respect.
I'm not going to judge David Booth either, although there is a difference in what he is doing. He does not live a land-based lifestyle (and neither do the vast majority of us, including many native people). He travels around sport hunting. I'm not going to argue that it's wrong to do so - it's just different and harder for me personally to relate to or qualify. Nevertheless, I'd certainly listen to his perspective regarding his hobby/sport (or however he wants to classify what he is doing). I'm not going to purport to know better.

When I listen to my instincts, the aspect that makes me feel uneasy is the smile on his face in that photo. Again, I'd listen to his perspective, what produces that, before I pretend to understand him (let alone judge him, which I have no interest in). I'm not stupid - of course I can make inferences. It's simply that my personal instinct wouldn't necessarily be to smile above my prey. For some reason, I wouldn't consider the life I'd just taken to be honoured by smiling - which I think is integral - to respect the life you've taken. I'm also not assuming Booth doesn't. It's just that I don't take pleasure in the hunt or the kill. Perhaps we share a different instinct in that sense - we're not all the same, are we.

People can argue that it's inhumane to eat farmed animals - they might have a point - when we look at some of the forms modern 'farming' takes, the impact can be tragic. People can argue that it is more ethical to take a wild animal, who has lived a free life, in a state of nature. They might have a point. But for some reason, barring necessity, that also strikes me as additionally tragic, particularly when we apparently have a tendency to overproduce and overconsume, which already seems to overtax nature. Then again, nature itself takes lives rather unceremoniously all the time, doesn't it?

What is the point of the hunt? It's a fair question, that there may or may not be a good answer. In the end, we are going to eat, and find all kinds of ways of doing so. Is this about eating? Should it be? Does it need to be to be justifiable? Does taking that goats life save another from starvation, or is that the goat that would have been strong enough to survive a lean winter? Who really knows? For me personally, I'm not convinced we are qualified to intervene and wouldn't take the risk were it not for the sake of necessity - it seems instinctive/natural to try to minimize our impact. But we're not all the same, are we.

#230 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

We've all got our contradictions.
I see a spider in my house, I grab it, take it outside and let it go. Don't take any pleasure whatsoever in hurting anything.
But.
I see a silverfish. I stomp it. Mosquitoes - hunt and kill them mercilessly and never think twice. Find a flea on my pet - flush that bastard down the toilet...
?

I don't judge in any way my Native friends who relate to, respect and hunt animals for food and materials. There is no guilt to be felt about being a part of nature and taking what we need to survive. Instead of guilt there is respect.
I'm not going to judge David Booth either, although there is a difference in what he is doing. He does not live a land-based lifestyle (and neither do the vast majority of us, including many native people). He travels around sport hunting. I'm not going to argue that it's wrong to do so - it's just different and harder for me personally to relate to or qualify. Nevertheless, I'd certainly listen to his perspective regarding his hobby/sport (or however he wants to classify what he is doing). I'm not going to purport to know better.

When I listen to my instincts, the aspect that makes me feel uneasy is the smile on his face in that photo. Again, I'd listen to his perspective, what produces that, before I pretend to understand him (let alone judge him, which I have no interest in). I'm not stupid - of course I can make inferences. It's simply that my personal instinct wouldn't necessarily be to smile above my prey. For some reason, I wouldn't consider the life I'd just taken to be honoured by smiling - which I think is integral - to respect the life you've taken. I'm also not assuming Booth doesn't. It's just that I don't take pleasure in the hunt or the kill. Perhaps we share a different instinct in that sense - we're not all the same, are we.

People can argue that it's inhumane to eat farmed animals - they might have a point - when we look at some of the forms modern 'farming' takes, the impact can be tragic. People can argue that it is more ethical to take a wild animal, who has lived a free life, in a state of nature. They might have a point. But for some reason, barring necessity, that also strikes me as additionally tragic, particularly when we apparently have a tendency to overproduce and overconsume, which already seems to overtax nature. Then again, nature itself takes lives rather unceremoniously all the time, doesn't it?

What is the point of the hunt? It's a fair question, that there may or may not be a good answer. In the end, we are going to eat, and find all kinds of ways of doing so. Is this about eating? Should it be? Does it need to be to be justifiable? Does taking that goats life save another from starvation, or is that the goat that would have been strong enough to survive a lean winter? Who really knows? For me personally, I'm not convinced we are qualified to intervene and wouldn't take the risk were it not for the sake of necessity - it seems instinctive/natural to try to minimize our impact. But we're not all the same, are we.

Nor do I. Many survive on their hunt primarily.

And I too don't honour the smiley pictures. There's nothing, in my opinion, honourable about why he kills and how he behaves once he's taken that life. I have a deep disdain for men who seek to lord over the killing of those weaker than them.

#231 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

While it would be good to aspire to a higher societal level, the reality is that it is impossible. We evolve so slowly as to be immeasurable. As the Bertrand Russel quote indicates (one of my favourites) there needs to be an outlet. While some of us can live in a higher playing rink, somewhere up in the clouds, and agree on a set of rules... in the end it is futile and pointless. a ridiculous gaff of self-delusion and insecure narcissism (if there is any other kind).

why? Because each and every one of us is capable of the most despicable and disgusting things imaginable - when put into the right (er... wrong) circumstance. The soviets taught us that - you would do or say anything when deprived of sleep and food, made to do outlandish physical punishments... etc etc. Not to mention the Germans and Japanese, who arguably were worse. You will cheat on your wife and kill your best friend in the wrong circumstance. period. you can be made to anyways. Everything else from that down to normal everyday life is a matter of degrees.

Our society is based on a Wittgenstein principle: it works only because we agree that it works.

Anyways, to the point: hunting, while not politically correct right now (although it is fun to play the devil's advocate on occasion ... cough cough) is quite low on the list of dastardly and evil things that people can do. And to say that this is anything but normal behaviour is ridiculous. Even sanctioned by law to be OK to do.

Now, if we all gained another 100 iq points, stopped acting like retards all the time, paid attention to the environment, actually voted and got a better government because we actually cared, and stopped paying so much attention to inane things like sport (hey wait a sec!) and hunting and tv shows and movies that don't matter at all, then we could probably outlaw hunting. because we would really have evolved. But as we all sink to the lowest level of thought anyways even if you don't want to, and some reach the highest level (or so they think, reflexive here too) of thought, obviously sports like hockey and things like hunting are enjoyable to a vast number of people. that's it.

#232 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

which doesn't necessarily imply (look up what a necessary condition is) I eat human beings. That point has already been made by me so it doesn't need any further clarification. Your insistence on the issue only shows that you are trying to make an argument out of nothing (which demonstrates a lack of reasoning on your part as well). In turn, you've been added to my wall of shame.

/end discussion on this

We seem to have a issue with this medium (Internet forum). When things are posted on it, no one can read what you "really" meant by it. There is no tone, except caps lock than I know you are yelling.

As this discussion prolongs it seems you only come about to witch hunt those who put you in check. I as many others are happy to have your response, I am happy you may not agree because we than have a discussion. Something tangible that we may all walk away from learning a new point of view.

Clearly this concept is lost on you. It makes no sense except to provoke/troll by putting people on your shame/ridicule list. Than you only respond to them there, in the OP a good 7+ pages back. Seeing how this is you MO I have this feeling you wont stop till every single member is on your shame/ridicule list, except for you of course.

Feel free to put this one in your OP too. Wouldn't want the good folks who only read the first post in a thread to miss it.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#233 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

While it would be good to aspire to a higher societal level, the reality is that it is impossible. We evolve so slowly as to be immeasurable. As the Bertrand Russel quote indicates (one of my favourites) there needs to be an outlet. While some of us can live in a higher playing rink, somewhere up in the clouds, and agree on a set of rules... in the end it is futile and pointless. a ridiculous gaff of self-delusion and insecure narcissism (if there is any other kind).

why? Because each and every one of us is capable of the most despicable and disgusting things imaginable - when put into the right (er... wrong) circumstance. The soviets taught us that - you would do or say anything when deprived of sleep and food, made to do outlandish physical punishments... etc etc. Not to mention the Germans and Japanese, who arguably were worse. You will cheat on your wife and kill your best friend in the wrong circumstance. period. you can be made to anyways. Everything else from that down to normal everyday life is a matter of degrees.

Our society is based on a Wittgenstein principle: it works only because we agree that it works.

Anyways, to the point: hunting, while not politically correct right now (although it is fun to play the devil's advocate on occasion ... cough cough) is quite low on the list of dastardly and evil things that people can do. And to say that this is anything but normal behaviour is ridiculous. Even sanctioned by law to be OK to do.

Now, if we all gained another 100 iq points, stopped acting like retards all the time, paid attention to the environment, actually voted and got a better government because we actually cared, and stopped paying so much attention to inane things like sport (hey wait a sec!) and hunting and tv shows and movies that don't matter at all, then we could probably outlaw hunting. because we would really have evolved. But as we all sink to the lowest level of thought anyways even if you don't want to, and some reach the highest level (or so they think, reflexive here too) of thought, obviously sports like hockey and things like hunting are enjoyable to a vast number of people. that's it.

ok Mr nihiist - this all sounds rather nietzsche - is it safe to say that the gist of your message is beyond good and evil?

if so, I'd like to take this opportunity to relay one of my favorites...(maybe relative to Booth as well)

"God is dead" Nietzche, 1882. [was killed by the madman]

Nietzsche is dead. God. 1900.

And now a goat is dead.

that's it.

#234 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

ok Mr nihiist - this all sounds rather nietzsche - is it safe to say that the gist of your message is beyond good and evil?

if so, I'd like to take this opportunity to relay one of my favorites...(maybe relative to Booth as well)

"God is dead" Nietzche, 1882. [was killed by the madman]

Nietzsche is dead. God. 1900.

And now a goat is dead.

that's it.

Speaking of Nietzsche:

The whole attitude of "man versus the world” man as world denying principle, man as the standard of the value of things, as judge of the world, who in the end puts existence itself on his scales and finds it too light - the monstrous impertinence of this attitude has dawned upon us as such, and has disgusted us, we now laugh when we find, "Man and World" placed beside one another, separated by the sublime presumption of the little word " and "!

Man is not separate from this world....he is part of it, and with the gifts he's been given, one could dare say he was ordained, or at least tasked to be its steward and not its usurping destroyer.

#235 Lundymaphone

Lundymaphone

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

My uncle hunts with both re-curve and longbows. We used togo shoot foam targets in his back yard. It is WAY harder than you'd think. Bows are a lot of fun.

I never once commented on the difficult of such an activity good sir, in fact I have participated in such an activity and have an appreciation for the skill required. I simply demand that someone hunt a mountain goat with a knife (largely for my own amusement). After the goat challenge is completed, we move onto black bears...

#236 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

Its amazing how many people chastise and belittle others for being vegetarian or supporting a partially vegetarian ideology, calling them "hippies" and so forth and all because they don't accept that, or like that, you eat meat. How immature and hypocritical is it to do the same thing back to them?

Back on point, I really don't mind if DB hunts or plays tennis or paints his freaking finger nails pink while singing Miley Cyrus tunes in his free time. But Id really rather not see the corpse of some gigantic thing that looks more like that weird ice monster that tries to kill Luke Skywalker in Star Wars than it does a goat. Which is why I wont go to DBs Twitter page any more. Problem solved guys.

#237 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

I'm well aware he's not, thanks tips. But that's what differentiates a professional who always wants to get better vs. a slug. Just an FYI, the NHL ISN'T the only hockey league in the world. He just doesn't care enough and takes his job for granted. While most NHLers are playing overseas or practicing in their own little groups, this guy is staying as far away from the ice as possible, trying to look cool in front of dead animals. Good thing we have him under contract for many more years!

You are assuming he isnt practising at all... Maybe he took a little break to enjoy one of his hobbies? Just like everyone else.

#238 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

I can appreciate all the warm feelings around the camping and comradeship you felt while out with your brothers. I'm not denying that's important. But tell me, would those memories have been any less special to you had you just gone camping and spent that quality time with your brother(s) and instead of having some poor animal's head on a wall or skin on the floor, you had some great photos or videos to recall your bonding with?

Do you fish? Is boating the same experience as fishing? Hiking is a destination. Hunting isn't. I was also an avid hiker, but the experience and goal is very different. That "poor animals" head on the wall and rug on the floor was also food in the freezer. Would you feel better had he thrown those parts out that we were not going to eat?

And your cut and paste info above is contradictory. If mountain goats are not in abundance, then why do they require population control? And what did nature do before there were hunters? Did species go extinct in the wildnerness when herd sizes got too big for the availability of food, territory or mates? Come on, that's a weak hunter's argument that's been debunked time after time. Hunters use this excuse in order to legitimize their recreational activity.

There was nothing cut and paste in my post at all. I said goats are not "AS" abundant as deer. They aren't. Nor are they endangered. Nor are they even on a watch list. Isn't it funny how you completely ignore points that don't work for you. Before there were hunters there weren't fire firefighters either. Fires would run up the mountain creating new growth that goats fed off in the winter. This doesn't happen as often. Meaning less food. Before if it didn't happen it meant starvation. Is it better to hunt 50 and have 50 survive the winter or is it better not to hunt and have 100 starve? The reason goat is a limited hunt is they are not as abundant as deer not because they are endangered. Deer are plentiful therefore more are allowed to hunt them. Yet even deer hunting will be closed in certain zones if the population drops to much. In another zone the open season may be longer as the population has grown too much.

When aboriginal people hunted caribou or bison, depending on which area they were in, they didn't do it for 'population control', they did it for necessity and survival, which is why they have a great respect for the animals they hunt. They didn't step on the animals like conquering weekend warriors, like Bravado Booth here did, showing the world how tough and courageous he is with his new trophy.

Are you certain of that? There was no bragging or trophies involved with nativews? I hate to break it to you but in many tribes hunting was a right of passage to manhood. Trophies would be taken. Antlers, horns, teeth, claws. All a form of bragging rights, decoration, or trophies. You seem really stuck on the term "trophy hunting". All it really means is the hunter isn't always going to take the first animal it he sees. In trophy hunting the bigger the better. Really no different than the natives back in the day. Bigger was better. It not only gave you more food, it gave better trophies and gave greater status as a hunter. But just like the natives it doesn't mean the meat goes to waste. Another part you choose to ignore instead only focusing on the trophy aspect.

It's just a bunch of rich guys killing for the enjoyment of killing....that's what it boils down to, and that's why he disgusts me, like all trophy hunters. I'm not trying to devalue the obvious emotional argument you're making about hunting with your brothers, because i respect the bonding process, but i'd bet you that had you all scaled a mountain together, or 'tamed' some wild rapids together, or sailed some vast distance on the open seas together.....you'd all have come away with the same feeling of accomplishment, satisfaction in yourself and as a family, and achievement in doing something that you'd all remember for the rest of your lives.......without needing the carcass of a once living creature adorning your mantle places or floors.

You may feel otherwise.

Well with the costs involved between the hunt and taxidermy an amount of money is required. But perhaps you should actually experience hunting before writing it off as "killing for fun". That's a tad drama queen.

Again hiking is not the same experience, but I've already covered that. Nor do any of your alternatives put food on the table. You see, we eat the carcass. It's just the fur that sits on the floor. Hypocrisy at it's finest. It's ok to kill a cow, eat the meat, and make his hide into a jacket, belt, wallet, and shoes. But it's not ok to kill a bear, eat the meat and make his hide into a rug.

The difference between hunters and non-hunters is the hunter is willing to do the killing himself. The trophies aspect is simply the parts you're not going to eat and has gone on for thousands of years. Your respectful natives included.

The bottom line is this: if you eat meat something died. If you don't want to face the death part you let somebody else kill it and clean it for you. Then buy it neatly packaged in a store. And for Gods sake, don't look at hunting photos as they may upset you. That way you can imagine the meat that you eat came from the meat fairy.
Posted Image

#239 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

^In checking out his Twitter feed (which I have never bothered to do), it leans me more in the direction I was heading with this. A taunting, in your face, feel to things that I find a little obnoxious, but I'll focus on DB on ice and hope that he makes me forget. He is 27 years old and, honestly, should probably be a littl moree sensitive to the fact that some aren't cool with trophy hunts. But it's his page and we can chose not to go there, which is what I'll do. A freedom of speech thing where he's entitled to do/say whatever the hell he wants in this life. With that, we're also entitled to feel the way we do in response. Enough of my time/two cents on this though, as it changes nothing....

What I don't understand is why the life of a goat is more important then that of a fish. I fish can look you in the eye, feel pain. It's a little bit hipocratial to be calling out booth the way you have when I saw nothing from you when MG landed his tuna, that he may or may not have eaten (nobody asked or cared if he did). Then as a 50/60 year old man posted photos of his kill on the web.

This is not about a trophy hunting, this is about peoples perseption of societies rules. It's ok to kill a fish a cow a pig. It's ok that the world raises animals in horrible conditions, feeds them junk then kill them on assembly lines, but you judge a man who hunts for his own food?

I think it's great that he is confident and one of the few that has the guts to stand up to societies ridiculous rules of right and wrong. His posting on the net, to me shows us he can take responsibility for the food he eats (something most can't). It's something he should be proud of and not feel he has to hide.

Everyone should look themselves in the eye next time they buy there vegetables modified by scientists that are affecting the worlds crops (organic or not). Meats raised in feed lots or fish raised in pens spreading illness to native populations. We need to ask ourselves who is in the right?

Edit: dev the only reason I am signaling you out is I feel you as a mod and someone who grew up around hunting should be more accountable and understanding, more so then say someone trying to quote Marv levy who didn't understanding his own footprint.

Edited by Nino, 16 October 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#240 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Silly me, I should have known that the real issue was hunting while smiling, rich, and maybe even white and Christian, eh? Why do I get the feeling that if his name was Livy something or rather you would not be chiming in?

What’s the core issue here: the activity, the state of mind while performing it, or the reason and circumstances that got him there? It never occurred to me, on account of my “non-existent comprehension” no doubt, that anyone would zero in on the surrounding stuff. Fine, we’ll see where this new found emphasis on “pleasure” and “immorality aspect” takes us.

We have it that Booth “getting his rocks off” from hunting is evidence of lack of scruples. That damns every professional or sporting hunter, trapper and fisherman who ever cracked a smile upon making a score. Then what of all the folks involved in the chain of preparation before the thing gets on your plate. How are we to quantify and assign immorality points at each stage? Remember, every step is necessary otherwise you don’t eat.

Thankfully, we have “Shooter” to tell us how to keep score. Rich, well-armed, posing with trophies while smiling, in no need of that particular sustenance, guys of Booth’s ilk = bad. Poor, wielding only butcher knives, trying to make ends meet, serious dudes punching in their shift cards at slaughter houses = good. Everybody else involved in prep work = maybe OK, so long as no pleasure was had while working.

If all that seems ridiculous it probably is. There is no moral aspect to be derived from man’s treatment of any animal, period. You consume and they get consumed. Even his best friend is perennially one wrong bite away from a trip to the disposal centre. Stress wise, wild animals tend to have it easier just prior.

Trying to ensure that they do not suffer and ending them swiftly when they do is about all that can be hoped for. Is there evidence of Booth acting otherwise? And rest assured that even that concise standard is not the norm in the Orient and probably lacks applicability in slaughter houses the world over.

Booth’s hobby is his own and it matters not whether he chases tail in bars as befitting a single guy, stays home and builds model trains, or scores big game during his free time. Most grownups don’t waste their time viewing these through an impossible to define morality prism. IT just IS WHAT IT IS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.