The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Hunts Goat

Angry Goose

I know, no worries, i was using the same logic that you were and extending it out to us.

The point being that if you're suggesting that killing something because it may meet an unpleasant death at the hands of another being, then why shouldn't that apply to you as well.

If the goat was literally on death's door, then i'm all for easing its suffering by putting it down quickly, but he killed a goat seemingly in its prime....and did so with a bow and arrow, which means it perhaps still died quite painfully and slowly.

By the way, i don't think mountain goats have very many predators(cougar maybe) when they get to be that size...and even if they did, most predators go for the windpipe for a quick kill, something predators learn to do, especially big cats, in order to avoid a thrashing animal injuring them.

Like Booth really cares if vegans criticize him? Of course he doesn't. He's doing whats legal so the reality is all this hoopla about him legally hunting a goat is wasted breath. Seriously, if it bothers people that much the reality is changing the laws that allow it would be more effective. Until then its like anyone of us who has a hobby. He's going to keep doing it. As long as its legal how are they going to stop him? They aren't.

We've got so many bigger problems like shark-finning, bullying in schools and whales getting killed and people are crying over one legally killed goat... yawn, no wonder kids are getting their asses beat down in school, sharks are sinking to the bottom of the ocean without their fins and whales keep getting chopped up all over the world. Small minds produce small results... or in this case no results. and this will come up again when he LEGALLY kills another animal... solving nothing.

I don't really care what Booth is or isn't looking for. Getting enjoyment out of killing another animal is not something to respect, by standards of civilized morality. He doesn't kill animals in order to provide food for himself, as other hunters have argued is the reason they hunt. He's there to kill for fun....and that's disgusting.

He's better off meaning, he might as well wait in line at the zoo to kill an animal than go to great lengths to bear-bait hunt, and who knows what short-cut he took to 'hunt' that goat. Maybe he pulled a Sarah Palin and shot it from a helicopter, who knows. There's nothing brave about him or his 'recreational activity'. If taking the life of an innocent animal was an act of bravery, then those working at meat processing plants must be Spartans in comparison for all the bolts they've shot into the backs of cattle's heads...but at least they're not doing it for sh*ts and giggles. They do it to provide food on their family's tables. Booth does it so he can pose real pretty for pictures and then post them up on the internet to show everyone how 'brave' he is.

My stance is that if you need to hunt for food, then so be it, but Booth neither hunts because he's hungry nor for any other forseeable necessity. He hunts for pleasure and because it probably make his little penis temporarily grow a couple of inches. And the scary part is that he's the kind of person who actually gets pleasure from causing the death of another being, simply for the satisfaction of being able to.

http://www.sportsnet..._mountain_goat/

booth_640_640.jpg

Ok. I'm going to say out right that a) I don't eat non human animals; b ) I take non human animal ethics very seriously (I have a masters degree in philosophy on this very topic) & c) I'm a big fan of David Booth the hockey player. Further, I am not absolutely against hunting. There can be good reasons for it i.e. necessary wildlife management. So there are exceptions to the rule.

HOWEVER, as much as I don't want to dislike what Booth has done, I can't help but say that his reasoning just doesn't work, ethically speaking. Sure, hunting goats may be challenging but why should we care about that? Of course it is a thrill for the hunters, but what about the interests of the animals themselves? Don't they count for something Booth? Or is it all about human interests only?

This isn't intended to be a hater thread. It's too bad for the goat is all I'm saying. Would much rather hockey started (might keep Booth away from his 'hobby'). I find it ironic that as much of this bugs me I still would completely support Booth as a hockey player. I do wonder where Booth draws the line though.....

START THE SEASON!!! END THE MASSACRE (note: sarcasm)

***EDIT*** 14/10/12

Thought I should add this to show the lack of reasoning skill in a few posts.

Not eating non human animals does not logically entail eating human animals (we are animals too right). That is like saying because I don't eat apples which are fruit, then I must eat oranges which are fruit. I could not eat both, which is entirely possible. In other words, cannibalism simply doesn't follow, and for the record I don't eat humans.......sometimes.

The precise meaning is non-human animals. We are animals. They are non-human animals.

No one said it was ok. You are presupposing that it is. That's called begging the question.

First, human biology does not dictate that we must eat meat. If that were the case, vegans would perish. Further, many high performance athletes are switching to vegan diets for improved health and recovery.

Second, plants are not sentient. They do not experience complex emotions or desires like we do. More importantly, they do not experience pain.

Third, eating plants isn't destroying the environment as near as badly as factory farming non human animals is. You need to do some basic fact checking.

Conclusion: you are the one being dumb.

I've never met a hunter that didn't enjoy hunting. Which is to say the vast majority take some pleasure out of it.

Hunting mountain goat from a helicopter is illegal in BC and has been for a couple of decades.

Booth has said several times he does indeed use the meat from his kills. Although goat meat is considered fairly tough it does make good sausage, stew and decent hamburger meat. Yes, I've eaten it before.

Trophy goats are extremely difficult to get to due to the rugged country they're found in. Hardly shooting fish in a barrel or taking sight at a zoo. You have to be in very good shape just to get there. Outfitters recommend working out and taking difficult hikes for 6 to 8 weeks before attempting a goat hunt.

Goat hunting is limited entry and expensive. The money generated from limited entry hunting is used to help fund enforcement and maintain game preserves where hunting is not allowed.

Natural predators include grizzly, black bear, wolves, wolverine, lynx and cougar. Golden eagles will even knock small new-born kids off rocky ledges to feed on. But more die of starvation, avalanches and climbing accidents in the winter than any other cause. The control of forest fires has had a greater impact on mountain goats than all predators combined, including man over the past 20 years. A clear burn would create new grow at high elevations that goats feed on through the winter. The control of forest fires has greatly reduced the number of these high elevation winter feeding grounds.

I have no problem with the sport of hunting as long as it's done legally and the meat is put to use. It helps control animal populations and generates revenue needed to combat poaching and monitor population.

I've never met a hunter that didn't enjoy hunting. Which is to say the vast majority take some pleasure out of it.

Hunting mountain goat from a helicopter is illegal in BC and has been for a couple of decades.

Booth has said several times he does indeed use the meat from his kills. Although goat meat is considered fairly tough it does make good sausage, stew and decent hamburger meat. Yes, I've eaten it before.

Trophy goats are extremely difficult to get to due to the rugged country they're found in. Hardly shooting fish in a barrel or taking sight at a zoo. You have to be in very good shape just to get there. Outfitters recommend working out and taking difficult hikes for 6 to 8 weeks before attempting a goat hunt.

Goat hunting is limited entry and expensive. The money generated from limited entry hunting is used to help fund enforcement and maintain game preserves where hunting is not allowed.

Natural predators include grizzly, black bear, wolves, wolverine, lynx and cougar. Golden eagles will even knock small new-born kids off rocky ledges to feed on. But more die of starvation, avalanches and climbing accidents in the winter than any other cause. The control of forest fires has had a greater impact on mountain goats than all predators combined, including man over the past 20 years. A clear burn would create new grow at high elevations that goats feed on through the winter. The control of forest fires has greatly reduced the number of these high elevation winter feeding grounds.

I have no problem with the sport of hunting as long as it's done legally and the meat is put to use. It helps control animal populations and generates revenue needed to combat poaching and monitor population.

WHY didn't you just say "I don't eat animals" or "I am a vegetarian"? Your explaination for that makes it sound like you are trying to be all edgy and self righteous. You may think you are sounding super scientific but try saying that to somebody in real life when explaining your food preference. I'd imagine it would go like this:

"Hey Silly Goose, I'm having a bbq, any food restrictions?"

"Yeah, I don't eat non-human animals"

"...okay, um, you're not invited weirdo"

But other than that, I agree with your point, and that poor goat really got the short end of the stick. Although since he follows all the laws and rules of hunting there's nothing sympathisers like us can do but feel a pang of sadness everytime we see things like this.

If I bagged a goat that big I'd post the pictures up too, I have no issues with him posting the pictures.

Never been hunting, and quite frankly, I doubt I ever will. I don't have it in me to kill a creature.

That being said, I couldn't care less about people who do go hunting, it's well within their rights, and if they enjoy it than so be it.

It would be nice to know whether he intends on using the meat or hide for something though.

Hope to see Booth out of the forest and on the ice soon.

Archived