The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] GDT Wolves vs. Ice Hogs

elvis15

Zack Kassian is a monster. "Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence"

He green lights a hawk prospect behind the net and then 1 punches the guy coming in for revenge.

This guy's attitude is like a mixture of Scott Stevens/Kevin Bieksa/Todd Bertuzzi.

As for Connauton, it looks like he is letting Tanev know he's coming for his spot.

Andersson and Tanev is a better comparison as they're more likely to be in competition once Andersson is ready for NHL duty. I don't know that I've seen either Connauton (left handed) or Tanev (right handed) play their opposite side, and I'm not sure why they would unless there wasn't anyone else available.

For instance, if there were an injury to a top 4 right side D-man on the Canucks Tanev would get the call over Connauton. They might use Connauton on the PP if they needed someone there (as opposite side helps for one timers) but otherwise it wouldn't make sense to put a young defender in an unnatural position against tougher competition.

Perhaps you can explain your reasoning, but I don't see it.

Andersson and Tanev is a better comparison as they're more likely to be in competition once Andersson is ready for NHL duty. I don't know that I've seen either Connauton (left handed) or Tanev (right handed) play their opposite side, and I'm not sure why they would unless there wasn't anyone else available.

For instance, if there were an injury to a top 4 right side D-man on the Canucks Tanev would get the call over Connauton. They might use Connauton on the PP if they needed someone there (as opposite side helps for one timers) but otherwise it wouldn't make sense to put a young defender in an unnatural position against tougher competition.

Perhaps you can explain your reasoning, but I don't see it.

The Rockford IceHogs are located about an hour drive NW of Chicago. The Wolves play in Rosemont, which is a suburb adjacent to Chicago and O'Hare Airport.

I recorded that from cable. The Wolves broadcast most of their games in the Chicago area, and it is a full multi-camera production, not the single camera AHL Live feed. They have had a contract with Comcast cable for years, but have added over-the-air broadcast partners the last couple of years in the mix.

Perhaps it was the emergence of Foligno that made Kassian expendable by the Sabres. He is still on fire. In that case trading away a winger for a center is, as usual, pretty good.

I don't think Kassian is ready for Clowe yet.............maybe in a couple of years.

Hodgson I'm afraid showed much of the downside many people spoke of on here against the Marlies the other night..........but it is early days and and he is still finding his feet. It was good to see him push one Marlie on his backside though so maybe he is developing a bit more pushback.

Canucks Army with another Wolves game recap, here's the best Canucks prospects bits:

KASSIAN SHOWS HIS STRENGTH, WOLVES TAKE ANOTHER FROM HAWKS FARMHANDS

- Might as well start with Kassian, who had three shifts of especial note. On one second-period shift, he took advantage of a Rockford defenceman's broken stick (for which Kassian himself was pretty much responsible). While waiting for a forward to hand his stick off to the stickless defenceman, Kassian collected the puck and proceeded to challenge the now-stickless forward, dominated the engagement and got himself a quality shot off from the slot. It all took about 15 seconds and in the words of Thomas Drance was 'hilariously deliberate.'

- Big Zack's next feat was to throw a big hit behind the net on Ryan Stanton. It was a heavy hit that had some shades of Raffi Torres, though in Kassian's defence, Stanton did have the puck and he probably expected some kind of collision. You can bet safely that he was really hoping it wouldn't be Kassian. The big forward saw the contact coming, set himself and (again) owned the confrontation, sending Stanton hard to the ice and gaining the attention of Stanton's teammates. Kassian and Jimmy Hayes mixed it up some, each earning roughing minors.

- Accomplishment three was a game saver. Late in the third, with BIlly Sweatt shuffled on to the second line because of his defensive prowess (Anton Rodin had spent most of the night on Jordan Schroeder's left), Kassian led a forechecking effort along the boards that seemed to last minutes. With the occasional help of Sweatt, Kassian worked the puck around the corner, down towards the endboards and while Schroeder skated through, distracting defenders as he went, Kassian fired a pass to Sweatt in the slot. Sweatt fought off his man and laid a strong one-timer over Rockford goalie Carter Hutton's left shoulder. Game, set, match. How Kassian was not a star is a mystery, but there were plenty of strong Wolves on the night so just chalk it up to that.

- Kevin Connauton looks ready to take the next step. He's learned how to use his big frame effectively and was a tower of strength at both ends of the ice all night. His strong puck distribution was noticeable throughout the game. With his offensive talents, will he actually find himself ahead of Chris Tanev in the pecking order?

- Anton Rodin is stronger. That much is obvious. At the end of last season it was very common for commentators to not his exceptional skill level and how it was being held back by his lack of strength. It was also pointed out that he was barely 20 when the season had started. He's clearly a year older and a year stronger. His play last night was obviously so impressive to head coach Scott Arniel that he was promoted to a regular five-on-five shift with centre Jordan Schroeder and Zack Kassian. The trio had multiple dominant shifts, partly due to Kassian's above-noted physical dominance, but also because Rodin was strong with the puck along the boards, getting himself often more than once, as well as Schroeder's creativity, agility and doggedness with the puck.

- Some notable scoring chance performances: Longpre 3, Kassian 2, Schroeder 3, Rodin 3, Sterling 2.

- Eddie Lack didn't have much to do in the first two periods, but what a performance in the third. Two of the goals - both on the powerplay - the Stork had next to no chance on, both slick cross-ice passes by Rockford's Martin St. Pierre to open men, who wired one-timers past Lack. All 13 of Rockford's third period scoring chances came in a ten-minute stretch, and included all three goals. But for Lack's efforts, it could have been far worse.

- Nathan Longpre is not Canucks property, but he must be at least on the edge of their radar. He was invited to camp last fall and impressed enough that the Wolves brought him into the fold. He started the year playing top-line minutes but as the Canucks shored up their lineup and the Wolves' his role diminished. He moved to Syracuse as part of the Samme Pahlsson deal, but the Wolves brought him back this summer. He looks set to play mostly third-line minutes, but they will be useful minutes. He scored a pair of goals against Rockford, including a shorthanded goal that started with blueline turnover he forced with a nifty pokecheck.

Just to clarify something - the Wolves GM was on News 1130 this morning.

Said Rodin has been one of the best players - but he was taken off the 2nd line (in the 3rd period of yesterdays game) in favour of Sweatt, as Sweatt has more 'defensive' prowess, while Rodin is still developing that side of the game.

Just to clarify something - the Wolves GM was on News 1130 this morning.

Said Rodin has been one of the best players - but he was taken off the 2nd line (in the 3rd period of yesterdays game) in favour of Sweatt, as Sweatt has more 'defensive' prowess, while Rodin is still developing that side of the game.

Agreed on that, it's a bit of an aside in the third point on Kassian in the Canucks Army summary so it's not bad to single it out. That line seemed good on the 2nd unit PP in the first game and as well in this game, which warranted the 5 on 5 time on top of it. I think they'll stick with that going forward, even though Sweatt and Schroeder seemed to play well together last year.

Sweatt didn't seem to be able to finish when he played on that line in the 1st game, but certainly did so when he was put back on it in the third. His speed and defensive ability is an asset over Rodin in a game that's closer than it should be, however.

Archived