The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Walking Dead Thread

PlayStation

So...the midseason finale...

Spoiler

So Carl's almost guaranteed to be dead come the end of next episode. Honestly, fresh from watching the episode, I am quite upset with the direction TWD is going with Carl. Whereas in previous seasons, I would say how much I disliked the character, I feel that as the seasons go by, I had grown attached to his character, watching a child grow up and spend his teenage years in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. I felt he had matured to the extent that the depth of character I had so eagerly awaited from him was going to be further explored and challenged. Also, being relatively close in age with the actor, if not somewhat older, I can't help but empathize with the character, growing along side him along his way, and identifying with some of the decisions, both smart and dumb, he had to make in the past eight years of the show.

Part of me still wishes that what was said and shown about his character was nothing but a ruse. And I do have my hopeful, yet likely vain, theories. But if we are to believe what Chandler Riggs said in his exit interview and what Scott Gimple (damn him!) said on Talking Dead, then the landscape of TWD will have been changed drastically. Whether this will spell positive or negative reviews from fans and critics alike, I feel it that the net reaction to Carl's death will reflect how much farther TWD can go before the series comes to an end. 

Apart from Carl's death, it was a 'meh' kind of episode, which is not great considering it is a 'finale'. There were high points here and there, such as Negan and Carl's interaction at the gate and Simon and Maggie's interaction. But for me, something was lacking. It might have been the anti-climatic reveal of the next dead main character, or it could be the obvious plot holes, such as how quickly Negan managed to mobilize efficiently and successfully. I don't know for sure, but there was a lot left to be desire and a lot left that I don't think should have occurred.

Overall, it gets a 'B' grade from me. 

Note: I realize this might be more of a rant and less of an analysis, but I needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for letting me do that.

What a show, eh?

I agree with the comments above. Almost the entire episode was shot at night, so it was difficult to make out what was happening in some scenes (eg. Rick and Negan fighting - this I wanted to observe clearly). Being the mid-season finale, I was expecting something to happen there, but Rick basically ran away. Nice to see Maggie shoot and kill Dean (one of the POWs at Hilltop), he deserved it. Thought Gerry was going to bite it too.

What a bummer about Carl. Kid has had it tough in the apocalypse (more than Eugene, that's for sure). First he gets shot, then he has to kill his Mom, then he loses an eye, and now this. My questions is: Who has the dirty task of "putting him out of his misery" when the time comes? My guess is, in the 2nd half of this season, Carl will sacrifice himself in order for Negan to be killed by Rick. Maybe he uses himself as a distraction.  

I have no idea how this will all play out. The group is basically hiding underground in the sewers. The Kingdom and Alexandria are up in flames. Is Eugene now on their side again? Looks like Dwight is also a part of this group now.

From what I've read, Scott Gimple had Carl killed in order to facilitate some cooperation or peace between Negan and Rick, as the former had developed a fondness, somewhat fatherly in my opinion, for the kid, bringing them to feel empathetic for each other and the common ground of an ideal that Carl died believing. It still seems like a strange and unnecessary way to bring about peace. I do see what Gimple wanted to do, but there were better ways of going about it. I would, for example, have had Morgan return to his pacifist self and convince Rick, through word of mouth and self-sacrifice, of the necessity to keep Negan alive. But that's just me.

Also, while the writing is on the wall, I'm still rooting for Carl to survive somehow. Perhaps he is immune and just needs to go through the phases of infection before revealing the condition. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but can still be a plausible result.

My predictions for the remainder of the season:

Spoiler

For the rest of the season, we'll see more guerrilla strikes by Rick and his allies against Negan's lieutenants, as Negan attempts to restore order from behind the safety of the Kingdom's walls. Maggie will struggle with the coming of her child, as Simon pressures the Hilltop to provide for the Saviours, and this will climax in a Hilltop battle, the end result of which will be the turning point for Rick and allies. And finally, Negan will come out from the safety of the Kingdom and, with the remaining Saviours, have one final battle with Rick's group. In this battle, a number of main characters will fall (no predictions yet other than Ezekiel, who will die sacrificing himself for his people). Negan and Rick will go one-on-one á-la-Governor. Rick will win, holding Negan's life in his hands. And then one of two things will happen. One, Rick, with Carl's martyrdom in mind, will show mercy and allow Negan to live, and with Negan no longer holding power, Rick will lead an alliance of his group and former Saviours into the next season. Or two, the sound of helicopter blades interrupts the fight, and an unknown, but heavily armed, faction arrives to quell the storm, a cliffhanger for the next season.

Either way, and I know this may sound cliché of TWD fans, but I don't know how much longer I can follow the series. For sometime, probably since Rick's arrival in Alexandria, I've been struggling with the show's dialogue and storylines. The acting has been fantastic, despite the script, so that might be enough to keep me going just a little bit longer. And, with the show's ratings seemingly signalling an impending end, it might just be worth it to see it through. Only time will tell, I guess.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, DragonSlayer14 said:

From what I've read, Scott Gimple had Carl killed in order to facilitate some cooperation or peace between Negan and Rick, as the former had developed a fondness, somewhat fatherly in my opinion, for the kid, bringing them to feel empathetic for each other and the common ground of an ideal that Carl died believing. It still seems like a strange and unnecessary way to bring about peace. I do see what Gimple wanted to do, but there were better ways of going about it. I would, for example, have had Morgan return to his pacifist self and convince Rick, through word of mouth and self-sacrifice, of the necessity to keep Negan alive. But that's just me.

Also, while the writing is on the wall, I'm still rooting for Carl to survive somehow. Perhaps he is immune and just needs to go through the phases of infection before revealing the condition. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but can still be a plausible result.

My predictions for the remainder of the season:

Hide contents

For the rest of the season, we'll see more guerrilla strikes by Rick and his allies against Negan's lieutenants, as Negan attempts to restore order from behind the safety of the Kingdom's walls. Maggie will struggle with the coming of her child, as Simon pressures the Hilltop to provide for the Saviours, and this will climax in a Hilltop battle, the end result of which will be the turning point for Rick and allies. And finally, Negan will come out from the safety of the Kingdom and, with the remaining Saviours, have one final battle with Rick's group. In this battle, a number of main characters will fall (no predictions yet other than Ezekiel, who will die sacrificing himself for his people). Negan and Rick will go one-on-one á-la-Governor. Rick will win, holding Negan's life in his hands. And then one of two things will happen. One, Rick, with Carl's martyrdom in mind, will show mercy and allow Negan to live, and with Negan no longer holding power, Rick will lead an alliance of his group and former Saviours into the next season. Or two, the sound of helicopter blades interrupts the fight, and an unknown, but heavily armed, faction arrives to quell the storm, a cliffhanger for the next season.

Either way, and I know this may sound cliché of TWD fans, but I don't know how much longer I can follow the series. For sometime, probably since Rick's arrival in Alexandria, I've been struggling with the show's dialogue and storylines. The acting has been fantastic, despite the script, so that might be enough to keep me going just a little bit longer. And, with the show's ratings seemingly signalling an impending end, it might just be worth it to see it through. Only time will tell, I guess.

The narrative does have to change somewhat. The constant warring factions storyline does grow a little long in the tooth, and doesn't offer anything in the way of a new storyline.

The uniqueness of the show is getting lost in the warring factions narrative. I think the first season was so exciting because of the original antagonist in the zombies. It would actually be a great idea for there to be some flashback episodes to show how different character's reacted to the apocalypse as it unfolded. Seeing large scale panic and chaos brought about by an unimaginable idea would be a great step to freshen up the show.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/topnews/the-walking-deads-scott-wilson-dies-at-76-costars-pay-tribute/ar-BBO2N5J?ocid=spartandhp

"

Scott Wilson, who played Hershel Greene on The Walking Dead, has died at the age of 76, TMZ reported on Saturday, October 6.

The actor had been battling leukemia.

“Scott will always be remembered as a great actor and we all feel fortunate to have known him as an even better person,” AMC said in a statement to Us Weekly on Saturday. “The character he embodied on The Walking Dead, Hershel, lived at the emotional core of the show. Like Scott in our lives, Hershel was a character whose actions continue to inform our characters’ choices to this day. Our hearts go out to his wife, family, friends and to the millions of fans who loved him. Scott will be missed.”

On 07/10/2018 at 12:28 AM, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/topnews/the-walking-deads-scott-wilson-dies-at-76-costars-pay-tribute/ar-BBO2N5J?ocid=spartandhp

"

Scott Wilson, who played Hershel Greene on The Walking Dead, has died at the age of 76, TMZ reported on Saturday, October 6.

The actor had been battling leukemia.

“Scott will always be remembered as a great actor and we all feel fortunate to have known him as an even better person,” AMC said in a statement to Us Weekly on Saturday. “The character he embodied on The Walking Dead, Hershel, lived at the emotional core of the show. Like Scott in our lives, Hershel was a character whose actions continue to inform our characters’ choices to this day. Our hearts go out to his wife, family, friends and to the millions of fans who loved him. Scott will be missed.”

Sad day.

He put in a great performance on the Walking Dead. His death on the show, to me, was the most heart wrenching. 

RIP. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, Duodenum said:

Sad day.

He put in a great performance on the Walking Dead. His death on the show, to me, was the most heart wrenching. 

RIP. 

I agree, probably the best played role on the show.  I lasted one more season after he died before I gave up on the show.  Between him and the Gov'nor that season was probably the peak of the show for myself. 

Probably time to start wrapping this show up.  Have the writers reveal what caused the zombies and then with that little mystery solved have the protagonists ride off into the sunset to rebuild civilization.

I feel like the best before date for Walking Dead passed a few years ago.

On 09/10/2018 at 2:36 PM, Tre Mac said:

I agree, probably the best played role on the show.  I lasted one more season after he died before I gave up on the show.  Between him and the Gov'nor that season was probably the peak of the show for myself. 

That was pretty much when I stopped watching too.  After Hershel I lost complete interest, was already waining for a while before that, can't even remember if I watched the Govenor die or if I had just watched that clip on YouTube.

• 1 month later...

Is it getting better again?

The show once had some hope in its story. Now that all the core characters are turfed and we don't know what happened in the first place for the out break. It seems like we're just watching a tv series of the book 'the road' with more random characters and of course zombies.

As I understand, the show is not in our reality right? They exist in a world where there was never any folklore about zombies before the mystery outbreak? I was told that by someone that I think read the graphic novels. If that's the case, they could write anything and give it a jolt. I also understand that they are not following the books story line anymore?

I stopped watching exactly 11 episodes ago. Just deleted them from the PVR recently as I had apparently lost interest.

Whisperers you say PB?  I trust your opinion, sounds like old Bishy here might have to have another gander.

20 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Is it getting better again?

The show once had some hope in its story. Now that all the core characters are turfed and we don't know what happened in the first place for the out break. It seems like we're just watching a tv series of the book 'the road' with more random characters and of course zombies.

As I understand, the show is not in our reality right? They exist in a world where there was never any folklore about zombies before the mystery outbreak? I was told that by someone that I think read the graphic novels. If that's the case, they could write anything and give it a jolt. I also understand that they are not following the books story line anymore?

I stopped watching exactly 11 episodes ago. Just deleted them from the PVR recently as I had apparently lost interest.

Whisperers you say PB?  I trust your opinion, sounds like old Bishy here might have to have another gander.

Yeah. The Whisperers have arrived on the show. Season 9, from what I have seen, is the best in years, and has returned the show to a more cinematic bent. The horror aspect of the show is returning too.

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. The Whisperers have arrived on the show. Season 9, from what I have seen, is the best in years, and has returned the show to a more cinematic bent. The horror aspect of the show is returning too.

Thank you.

Spoiler

I read up about the Whisperers last night. Very cool group, also gave me a bit of understanding on those gother hipster bicycle garbage kids ( cant remember their name). I couldn't figure out how they had changed their way of speaking and acting so quickly after the outbreak. I was like "how did they forget the English language so quickly?"Now I understand, like the Whisperers that they had made a conscious decision to change society. I don't know where the show is with the Whisperers, hence 'spoiler'

I am re-interested for sure.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank you.

Hide contents

I read up about the Whisperers last night. Very cool group, also gave me a bit of understanding on those gother hipster bicycle garbage kids ( cant remember their name). I couldn't figure out how they had changed their way of speaking and acting so quickly after the outbreak. I was like "how did they forget the English language so quickly?"Now I understand, like the Whisperers that they had made a conscious decision to change society. I don't know where the show is with the Whisperers, hence 'spoiler'

I am re-interested for sure.

The Whisperers make the Garbage Pail/SteamPunk/Hipster group look like the Lollipop Guild.

Looks like Morgan may have known about them for sometime.

morgan-the-walking-dead.png

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

TWD fired the writers who were responsible for the abysmal season 7-8. They really turned things around this season again. I'm hoping they also deviate less from the comic book. Whenever TWD tries to deviate too much, we end up with the garbage pail kids.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/walking-dead-scott-gimple-angela-kang-showrunner-renewed-season-9-1202624753/

It's unfortunate, as I think the show turned a lot of people away with season 7 and 8. Hopefully, they continue to improve on the pacing of the show. 

Archived