Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tystick

SensibleBC: Decriminalize Cannabis

17 posts in this topic

Screen%20Shot%202012-09-17%20at%202.41.37%20PM-550x326.png

Welcome to the Sensible BC campaign to decriminalize cannabis in our province.

We are calling upon the BC government to pass the Sensible Policing Act, which will redirect all police in the province from making searches, seizures or arrests in cases of simple cannabis possession.

The Sensible Policing Act also sets up a public commission to figure out the best path toward a legally regulated and taxed cannabis system in BC.

Please join us in our campaign to hold a provincial referendum on this issue!

With enough signatures and support, we can vote to decriminalize in 2014.

Please register now, as a volunteer or a supporter, so that we can collect your official signature for the referendum campaign. Together we can change the law in BC!

HOW & WHY TO DECRIMINALIZE IN BC

BC has the power to set police priorities and direct resources

Canadian provinces have jurisdiction over policing and the administration of justice. BC has the responsibility of funding the police, and setting police priorities.

All police in BC are under the authority of the Police Act, an act of the BC Legislature. This includes both RCMP and municipal police.

Sensible BC proposes an amendment to the Police Act, instructing police not to spend any time, money or resources on cases of simple possession of cannabis.

This simple change, called the Sensible Policing Act, would effectively decriminalize the possession of cannabis in BC, while leaving the rest of the laws in place.

This would be similar to how BC joined with seven other provinces in refusing to expend any resources enforcing the federal Firearms Act, because they did not support the Long Gun Registry.

Find out more about the Sensible Policing Act here.

Decriminalization will save money and increase public safety

Decriminalizing the simple possession of cannabis in this manner will save taxpayers money, help unclog our justice system and stop young people from having their lives ruined over a joint. This is the first step towards a more sensible cannabis policy.

Cost savings: BC is spending more and more every year to charge people for simple possession of cannabis. The number of possession charges laid in BC more than doubled between 2005 and 2010. In this time of fiscal uncertainty, we should be spending taxpayer dollars more carefully.

Public safety: Arresting and charging people for simple possession of cannabis wastes police resources which could be better spent dealing with real crime. Let’s ensure police are empowered to direct their time and resources dealing with serious criminals, and not bothering about someone peacefully smoking a joint.

Public opinion: The latest polls show that the vast majority of British Columbians agree with Sensible BC that possession of cannabis should not lead to a criminal record, and that over two-thirds support marijuana being legally taxed and regulated. These views are consistent in all regions of the province and among voters for all parties.

WHO SUPPORTS DECRIM?

There is a growing consensus that the prohibition of marijuana causes harm and is not the best way to deal with the issues around marijuana use.

Law enforcement officials, academics, public health officials and political leaders from across the spectrum have all been speaking out against marijuana prohibition.

Union of BC Municipalities

Many BC Municipalities

Public Health Organizations

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Academics and Researchers

BC Newspapers and Media

Four former BC Attorneys General

BC Liberal Finance Minister Kevin Falcon

BC New Democratic Party Policy

Federal Liberal Party Policy

Federal New Democratic Party Policy

I am posting this information to promote the Dana Larsen's campaign, this campaign is not my own.

If you are a registered voter in British Columbia, Canada and would like to support the change, you can register at: http://sensiblebc.ca/

Organize crime, of course, would just move onto something else. Likely something far more dangerous. And there will be a lot of violence while these guys mark out their territory in the new market.

Then again, organized crime isn't the only source of pot in BC, is it? A lot of people depend on it for extra income needed to keep their homes.

I guess the government, with their new pot tax dollars, can put more people on welfare though. Yay.

LEGALIZE not decriminalize...

I hope they make pot legal. So potheads have nothing to talk about, ever again.

-Daniel Tosh

Think about the boost to the Agri-tourism sector!

Optimistic, but not realistic. That leaves Sublime, Family Guy, the stars, Stephen King novels, metal, Doritos, and in some extreme cases, ceramics

It's so rediculous that you can get off work go get hammered, smoke a pack of cigarettes and take advantage of some drunk chick. All perfectly legal to do on any night of the week.

you can't go home smoke a joint of something that's not even humanly possible to overdose on and watch a movie. Totally against the rules lol

Optimistic, but not realistic. That leaves Sublime, Family Guy, the stars, Stephen King novels, metal, Doritos, and in some extreme cases, ceramics

It's so rediculous that you can get off work go get hammered, smoke a pack of cigarettes and take advantage of some drunk chick. All perfectly legal to do on any night of the week.

you can't go home smoke a joint of something that's not even humanly possible to overdose on and watch a movie. Totally against the rules lol

Pandora's box has been opened. It's impossible to stuff back Cigarettes and Alcohol. Marijuana has not quite slipped out yet as "The Man" is sitting on the box to prevent it from escaping.

:lol:

When I was much younger...I once had a co-worker high on marijuana at work. He was a hazard to himself and placed me and others in danger too (he appeared fairly uncoordinated). Fortunately...accidents didn't happen that night. His excuse was "It's not like I'm drunk".

That and...

The economic benefits, the medical usages, and the blow it would cause to organized crime.

I'm a cannabis user, but I don't think it should be legalized.

When I was in highschool, lot of people smoked pot because, they "weren't aloud," thought it was cool, wanted to be rebels etc.

But if it's legalized kids are going to start looking at it like it's nothing and experiment with harder drugs a lot more, atleast imo.

Would be nice to not have to worry about cops ever though....

and alcohol being legal and pot not doesn't really make sense to me either... so I guess I'm fine with either way haha

WHY ARE YOU SUCH A POTHEAD? YOU START 90% OF THESE STUPID WEED THREADS! STOP ALREADY!