Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

SensibleBC: Decriminalize Cannabis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Posted Image

Welcome to the Sensible BC campaign to decriminalize cannabis in our province.

We are calling upon the BC government to pass the Sensible Policing Act, which will redirect all police in the province from making searches, seizures or arrests in cases of simple cannabis possession.
The Sensible Policing Act also sets up a public commission to figure out the best path toward a legally regulated and taxed cannabis system in BC.

Please join us in our campaign to hold a provincial referendum on this issue!

With enough signatures and support, we can vote to decriminalize in 2014.
Please register now, as a volunteer or a supporter, so that we can collect your official signature for the referendum campaign. Together we can change the law in BC!

HOW & WHY TO DECRIMINALIZE IN BC

BC has the power to set police priorities and direct resources

Canadian provinces have jurisdiction over policing and the administration of justice. BC has the responsibility of funding the police, and setting police priorities.
All police in BC are under the authority of the Police Act, an act of the BC Legislature. This includes both RCMP and municipal police.
Sensible BC proposes an amendment to the Police Act, instructing police not to spend any time, money or resources on cases of simple possession of cannabis.
This simple change, called the Sensible Policing Act, would effectively decriminalize the possession of cannabis in BC, while leaving the rest of the laws in place.
This would be similar to how BC joined with seven other provinces in refusing to expend any resources enforcing the federal Firearms Act, because they did not support the Long Gun Registry.
Find out more about the Sensible Policing Act here.

Decriminalization will save money and increase public safety

Decriminalizing the simple possession of cannabis in this manner will save taxpayers money, help unclog our justice system and stop young people from having their lives ruined over a joint. This is the first step towards a more sensible cannabis policy.
Cost savings: BC is spending more and more every year to charge people for simple possession of cannabis. The number of possession charges laid in BC more than doubled between 2005 and 2010. In this time of fiscal uncertainty, we should be spending taxpayer dollars more carefully.
Public safety: Arresting and charging people for simple possession of cannabis wastes police resources which could be better spent dealing with real crime. Let’s ensure police are empowered to direct their time and resources dealing with serious criminals, and not bothering about someone peacefully smoking a joint.
Public opinion: The latest polls show that the vast majority of British Columbians agree with Sensible BC that possession of cannabis should not lead to a criminal record, and that over two-thirds support marijuana being legally taxed and regulated. These views are consistent in all regions of the province and among voters for all parties.

WHO SUPPORTS DECRIM?

There is a growing consensus that the prohibition of marijuana causes harm and is not the best way to deal with the issues around marijuana use.
Law enforcement officials, academics, public health officials and political leaders from across the spectrum have all been speaking out against marijuana prohibition.
Union of BC Municipalities
Many BC Municipalities
Public Health Organizations
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
Academics and Researchers
BC Newspapers and Media
Four former BC Attorneys General
BC Liberal Finance Minister Kevin Falcon
BC New Democratic Party Policy
Federal Liberal Party Policy
Federal New Democratic Party Policy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7J8OdTWGpA8

I am posting this information to promote the Dana Larsen's campaign, this campaign is not my own.
If you are a registered voter in British Columbia, Canada and would like to support the change, you can register at: http://sensiblebc.ca/

Edited by Tystick, 14 October 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

I hope they make pot legal. So potheads have nothing to talk about, ever again.

-Daniel Tosh

/=S=/

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

-Daniel Tosh

That and...
The economic benefits, the medical usages, and the blow it would cause to organized crime.
Posted Image

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Organize crime, of course, would just move onto something else. Likely something far more dangerous. And there will be a lot of violence while these guys mark out their territory in the new market.

Then again, organized crime isn't the only source of pot in BC, is it? A lot of people depend on it for extra income needed to keep their homes.

I guess the government, with their new pot tax dollars, can put more people on welfare though. Yay.
Posted Image

#5 The Shirokovian One

The Shirokovian One

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

LEGALIZE not decriminalize...

#6 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

LEGALIZE not decriminalize...

Easy there, tiger.
Baby steps.

#7 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

-Daniel Tosh

Optimistic, but not realistic. That leaves Sublime, Family Guy, the stars, Stephen King novels, metal, Doritos, and in some extreme cases, ceramics

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#8 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Think about the boost to the Agri-tourism sector!
Posted Image

#9 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Optimistic, but not realistic. That leaves Sublime, Family Guy, the stars, Stephen King novels, metal, Doritos, and in some extreme cases, ceramics

Well played, sir.

/=S=/

#10 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

It's so rediculous that you can get off work go get hammered, smoke a pack of cigarettes and take advantage of some drunk chick. All perfectly legal to do on any night of the week.

you can't go home smoke a joint of something that's not even humanly possible to overdose on and watch a movie. Totally against the rules lol

#11 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

WHY ARE YOU SUCH A POTHEAD? YOU START 90% OF THESE STUPID WEED THREADS! STOP ALREADY!
Posted Image

#12 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Don't forget Cheetos, Slim Jim's, and The Grateful Dead.

Edited by Monty, 16 October 2012 - 08:18 AM.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#13 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

It's so rediculous that you can get off work go get hammered, smoke a pack of cigarettes and take advantage of some drunk chick. All perfectly legal to do on any night of the week.

you can't go home smoke a joint of something that's not even humanly possible to overdose on and watch a movie. Totally against the rules lol

This argument is the most tiresome of all when it comes to legalizing marijuana. Just because other things are legal, that doesn't mean that something else should be. Nor does that mean that because things that are legal should continue to be. Personally, I don't think cigarettes should be legal either.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#14 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Pandora's box has been opened. It's impossible to stuff back Cigarettes and Alcohol. Marijuana has not quite slipped out yet as "The Man" is sitting on the box to prevent it from escaping.

:lol:

When I was much younger...I once had a co-worker high on marijuana at work. He was a hazard to himself and placed me and others in danger too (he appeared fairly uncoordinated). Fortunately...accidents didn't happen that night. His excuse was "It's not like I'm drunk".

#15 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

That and...
The economic benefits, the medical usages, and the blow it would cause to organized crime.

And to no surprise most people don't even care about those things. They're simply in favor of the 'getting baked' part, and that is it.
Posted Image

#16 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm a cannabis user, but I don't think it should be legalized.

When I was in highschool, lot of people smoked pot because, they "weren't aloud," thought it was cool, wanted to be rebels etc.

But if it's legalized kids are going to start looking at it like it's nothing and experiment with harder drugs a lot more, atleast imo.

Would be nice to not have to worry about cops ever though....

and alcohol being legal and pot not doesn't really make sense to me either... so I guess I'm fine with either way haha

Edited by TheGame., 16 October 2012 - 01:42 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#17 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

WHY ARE YOU SUCH A POTHEAD? YOU START 90% OF THESE STUPID WEED THREADS! STOP ALREADY!

Hello angry child, let me start by saying I've only started two threads based upon Marijuana, so I think your statistics are a little off. :lol:
I'm not a "pothead", but I believe that decriminalizing Marijuana would bring about a positive outcome to the government and economy of BC, and eventually Canada.
I happen to live in British Columbia, so I would like to see this positive change in my own province become a reality.
This thread was made to simply spread the message of this campaign to get enough votes from British Columbians so it could be put on the ballot in 2014.

I suggest you educate yourself further before replying again: http://sensiblebc.ca...-decriminalize/
Thanks. :)
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.