The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Players of All-Time - #32

-AJ-

#32 Player of All-Time  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And finally, we are moving on to #32!

Borje Salming, Bernie Federko, and Sidney Crosby all had 2 nominations.

I used Excel© to randomize the winner.

Borje Salming won, so he was added to the list.

Congratulations to Howie Morenz for being named the #31 Player of All-Time!

Please remember to nominate someone to be added to the voting list!

The List:

#1 - Wayne Gretzky

#2 - Mario Lemieux

#3 - Bobby Orr

#4 - Gordie Howe

#5 - Maurice Richard

#6 - Steve Yzerman

#7 - Nicklas Lidstrom

#8 - Doug Harvey

#9 - Joe Sakic

#10 - Patrick Roy

----------------------

#11 - Mark Messier

#12 - Mike Bossy

#13 - Martin Brodeur

#14 - Jean Beliveau

#15 - Ray Bourque

#16 - Jaromir Jagr

#17 - Marcel Dionne

#18 - Bobby Hull

#19 - Paul Coffey

#20 - Dominik Hasek

----------------------

#21 - Brett Hull

#22 - Ron Francis

#23 - Guy Lafleur

#24 - Pavel Bure

#25 - Eddie Shore

#26 - Phil Esposito

#27 - Teemu Selanne

#28 - Denis Potvin

#29 - Terry Sawchuk

#30 - Valeri Kharlamov

----------------------

#31 - Howie Morenz

Voting Jacques Plante!

During a career lasting from 1947–1975, he was considered to be one of the most important innovators in hockey. He played for the Montreal Canadiens from 1953 to 1963; during his tenure, the team won the Stanley Cup six times, including five consecutive wins.

Plante retired in 1965 but was persuaded to return to the National Hockey League to play for the expansion St. Louis Blues in 1968. He was later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1970 and to the Boston Bruins in 1973. He joined the World Hockey Association as coach and general manager for the Quebec Nordiques in 1973–74. He then played goal for the Edmonton Oilers in 1974–75, ending his professional career with that team.

Plante was the first NHL goaltender to wear a goaltender mask in regulation play on a regular basis. He developed and tested many versions of the mask (including the forerunner of today's mask/helmet combination) with the assistance of other experts. Plante was the first goaltender to regularly play the puck outside his crease in support of his team's defencemen, and he often instructed his teammates from behind the play. Plante was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1978, was chosen as the goaltender of the Canadiens' "dream team" in 1985, and was inducted into the Quebec Sports Pantheon in 1994. The Montreal Canadiens retired Plante's jersey, #1, the following year.

Plante.jpg

I'm voting for Peter Stastny now. This guy would have tons of trophies if it weren't for Gretzky and Lemiuex.

- He had the 2nd most points in the 1980s, behind only Wayne Gretzky.

- He was 4th in Points-per-game in the 1980s with 1.41 points per game. That's an average of 113 points per full season.

- Tied for 6th in All-Time assists-per-game.

- 8th All-Time in points-per-game

- Stastny had 100 or more points seven times in his career, including a crazy career-high of 139 points in 1981-82.

peter-stastny.jpg

Once again, I'm gonna nominate an incredibly underrrated player, Bernie Federko. This guy is one of the most underrated forwards of all-time.

I'm gonna quote directly from his Wikipedia article because it explains him and how underrated he was quite well.

"Federko would score 100 points in a season four times, and was a consistent and underrated performer for the Blues. Federko scored at least 90 points in seven of the eight seasons between 1978 and 1986, and became the first player in NHL history to record at least 50 assists in 10 consecutive seasons.

However, in an era when Wayne Gretzky was scoring 200 points a season, Federko never got the attention many felt he deserved.

In 1986, in a poll conducted by GOAL magazine, he was named the most overlooked talent in hockey. His General Manager Ron Caron said he was "A great playmaker. He makes the average or above average player look like a star at times. He's such an unselfish player.""

one_federko03.jpg

Why? Crosby has a higher points per game then most of the players of this list. Has won a Stanley Cup, Hart, Rocket Richard and an olympic gold. He is the best player in the NHL in today and scored the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history since Henderson. I'm nominating Crosby again!

Voting Peter Stastny,

to add he also was the...

-4th fastest player in NHL history to score 1000 points (682 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (424) Mario Lemieux (513) & Mike Bossy (656)

-One of 7 players in NHL history to record at least 6 consecutive 100+ point seasons.

-Shares NHL record for assists by a rookie (70) with Joé Juneau.

-Holds NHL record for points in a game by a rookie with 8

from wiki

Every season Crosby's played in has been more than a good season he's been ellite. Yes he has missed alot of games due to injury but when you look at what he does when he is healthy there is no one better in today's NHL. He's never been less than a point per game in his entire NHL carrer. As good as Henri Richard was (and I do think that was a good nomination) you can't say that for him. Isn't the idea of this list to be about the best players? Im my mind it's not about the players with the longest or best carrers, it should be about the players that dominated the most when they were on the ice. Crosby does that better than anyone not already on this list or already nominated. I know it was a different era then but my point is Crosby deserves to be listed with other ellite players like Henri Richard. Neither Henri or Bernie Federko have the trophy case that Crosby has and Corsby is only 25 and still playing! I promise who when we look back on Crosby's carrer 20 years from now he'll be a sure thing to make the top 20 on a list this

Haha, why are you still surprised?

I don't think Lindros deserves to be on this list but I think he is comparable to bure (who I don't think should be so high anyways):

- His trophy case is not as good as Bure's (Hart/Pearson vs Calder/Richard x2)

- His ppg is actually higher than Bure's in similar amount of games played

- Both had careers shortened by injury, though Bure left in somewhat more glory

- Both had somewhat bad reps

- Lindros was dubbed the "Next One", centerpiece of one of the most feared/famed lines in hockey

There are a lot more similarities.. but with that said, the top players of all time shouldn't be based on what could have been.. or else I might have Orr/Lemieux ahead of Gretzky..

Can't really blame Crosby for being nominated here seeing what he has done and this IS an online forum..

Archived