Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Police in standoff with armed man at Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel By Staff Reporter, The Province Read more: http://

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

An armed and distraught man is roaming around the second and third floors of Vancouver’s tony Fairmount Pacific Rim hotel in an armed standoff.
Police have shut down the streets around the area of Cordova and Burrard Streets as they negotiate with the man they say is known to them.
A Vancouver Police spokesman said the 28-year-old man is of South Asian descent and lives in Surrey. He has mental health issues, police said.Around 2:30 a.m. Monday, police received a 911 call about a man who walked into the hotel brandishing a handgun.
The man is moving between the second and third floors of the hotel, which contains common areas with banquet rooms.
Police are communicating with him using audio and video, but a police spokesman said little progress is being made towards ending the confrontation.
So far his only demand has been for water, police said.
Hotel guests have been able to leave the hotel with assistance from police since about 9 a.m.
More to come.

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz29OCEyx8G

An armed standoff that began at a Vancouver hotel early Monday was still ongoing as the morning rush was getting started.

The area around the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel is blocked to pedestrian and vehicle traffic, on Cordova Street between between Howe and Thurlow, as police negotiators work to "de-escalate the problem," said Vancouver Police Const. Brian Montague from outside the Waterfront Centre, where a command post has been set up.
Montague said a man, believed to be in his 20s, walked into the lobby of the hotel, brandishing a handgun at 2:30 a.m.
He remains in a "public" part of the hotel, not the guest floors, and remains armed, Montague said. It's unclear what the man wants and has only asked for water in the nearly five hours of the standoff.
"He's not talking a lot. We don't know why he's here," Montague said.
Officials believe they have identified the armed man, who may be known to police, but it has not been confirmed yet, said Const. Brian Montague around 8 a.m.
The man, believed to be in his 20s, is "distraught" but no shots have been fired, and there is "no threat to the general public," Montague said. He would not comment on whether drugs, alcohol or mental health issues played have played a role in the suspect's behaviour.
He confirmed officers have seen the gun but no shots have been fired and no injuries reported.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Pedestrians are able to access the Canada Place area by the underground foot path but no cars are getting through the blockade.
Hotel guests at the Pacific Rim will not be allowed to leave their rooms until the confrontation ends.
About 50 hotel housekeeping and kitchen staff are holed up in a conference room in the Fairmont Waterfront waiting to return to work. Police have cordoned off all areas north of Hastings Street between Granville and Howe streets.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz29OCR2yab

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#2 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

"Can you please come back down. eh?" - Canadian Cops.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Yup my friend who's staying there texted me earlier. Glad no one has been hurt so far.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#4 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

"Can you please come back down. eh?" - Canadian Cops.

No.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#5 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hopefully this comes to a peaceful non-violent conclusion and the guy gets the mental health help he sorely seems to need.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#6 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

No.

Agreed

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#7 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,748 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

He's been asking for water for 5 hours? Some give the guy some water!! Maybe trade it for his gun.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#8 AbbyNucksFan

AbbyNucksFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I just came back from downtown.. place is a nightmare.. hopefully this gets resolved and nobody gets hurt.
Posted Image

Credit to LostViking for the sig! Thanks!

#9 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

They're saying the standoff has ended, but haven't released any details yet.

#10 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,148 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

They're saying the standoff has ended, but haven't released any details yet.

According to CBC.ca they set off a "flash-bang" device to distract the man and then fired a non-lethal plastic round, hitting him in the leg. Thery were then able to arrest him without incident.

He has been taken to hospital with what is being described as a "very minor" injury.

His weapon was found to be real, but he did not fire it during the standoff.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#11 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

a big part of the downtown core was blocked off because of one gunman who was already surrounded in the hotel. the way the scene looked you'd think we were being attacked by a big group of terrorists. i counted atleast 50+ cops. your tax dollars at work.

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 15 October 2012 - 04:39 PM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#12 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

a big part of the downtown core was blocked off because of one gunman who was already surrounded in the hotel. the way the scene looked you'd think we were being attacked by a big group of terrorists. i counted atleast 50+ cops. your tax dollars at work.

Seriously? You think they should have been out giving speeding tickets instead or something? How many people were killed? none? Then I'd say they handled it successfully and I don't care that they had 50 police around there or a 100. they served and protected and dealt with the situation successfully.

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Seriously? You think they should have been out giving speeding tickets instead or something? How many people were killed? none? Then I'd say they handled it successfully and I don't care that they had 50 police around there or a 100. they served and protected and dealt with the situation successfully.

Gunman off his meds in a hotel withing any injuries is a major win in my books. Can't please everyone - including people who don't plan ahead and are in a hurry or late.

Interestingly enough I wondered how this would have gone down in the states. Seems like this gunman would have been shot and killed. It's nice to see it work out this way in the end.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#14 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

And the bill should be sent to the person who caused this.

#15 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Gunman off his meds in a hotel withing any injuries is a major win in my books. Can't please everyone - including people who don't plan ahead and are in a hurry or late.

Interestingly enough I wondered how this would have gone down in the states. Seems like this gunman would have been shot and killed. It's nice to see it work out this way in the end.

Seems like it? you so sure? what are you basing this on?

#16 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

No.

Agreed

You guys have an awful sense of humor. <_<
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.