The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL makes 50-50 revenue split offer

uber_pwnzor

Problem though. Contract law, Offer and Acceptance. Now that the Owners have made an offer, the NHLPA has two options: Accept, or counter. If they counter, at all, with even the slighest, tiniest change, it's considered a countered offer. Once an offer is countered, the original offer isn't valid. This means that, for example, if you were selling me a car, and you offered it to me for $2,000, and I knew it was worth $5,000, and I took you for a moron who and said 'well, that's a lot, how about $1800' and you said no, under no circumstances would you be legally obligated to honour your original offer of $2000. An offer countered is an offer rejected, and the Owners will immediately turn around, go to the press and say 'we met the players half way, and they said it wasn't enough.' and the NHLPA becomes the bad guys. It doesn't even matter if the NHLPA turns around and offers them the exact same deal tomorrow.

As far as contract law is concerned, if the Players counter with 'Give us 7 year terms, please', then the Owners have every right to say 'Guess what. 44%, and a 10% salary rollback. Take it or leave it' and there's nothing they could do to force the Owners to put their offer back on the table. There isn't an out for the NHLPA where they aren't villains if they counter and the Owners walk away. This is a fair offer. You take the fair offer, especially when all you have to lose is face. They never get a better offer. Never.

I'm speculating a counter-offer then.

IF NHLPA puts a counter-offer very similar to the NHL offer but some minor changes (ie. UFA 27yr and or 7yr contract length) and NHL rejects...then who's the villian this time? They both lose face if a deal doesn't get done.

Read on Toronto Star, that players with NHL contracts in the AHL would count under the salary cap so you can't dump players like Redden or Gomez in the AHL. (one on twitter is assuming it is only for 1 way deals but not confirmed)

Some depth here and article here

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1272203--nhl-lockout-gary-bettman-arrives-at-donald-fehr-s-office-as-talks-begin

Problem though. Contract law, Offer and Acceptance. Now that the Owners have made an offer, the NHLPA has two options: Accept, or counter. If they counter, at all, with even the slighest, tiniest change, it's considered a countered offer. Once an offer is countered, the original offer isn't valid. This means that, for example, if you were selling me a car, and you offered it to me for $2,000, and I knew it was worth $5,000, and I took you for a moron who and said 'well, that's a lot, how about $1800' and you said no, under no circumstances would you be legally obligated to honour your original offer of $2000. An offer countered is an offer rejected, and the Owners will immediately turn around, go to the press and say 'we met the players half way, and they said it wasn't enough.' and the NHLPA becomes the bad guys. It doesn't even matter if the NHLPA turns around and offers them the exact same deal tomorrow.

As far as contract law is concerned, if the Players counter with 'Give us 7 year terms, please', then the Owners have every right to say 'Guess what. 44%, and a 10% salary rollback. Take it or leave it' and there's nothing they could do to force the Owners to put their offer back on the table. There isn't an out for the NHLPA where they aren't villains if they counter and the Owners walk away. This is a fair offer. You take the fair offer, especially when all you have to lose is face. They never get a better offer. Never.

Already lost a ton of respect for the NHLPA. If they reject this or drag this out any further I may not come back. As much as I love the NHL this is pretty much a disgrace when Guy Lafleur gets a moderate wage (now pension) but 4th line plugs make a kings ransom. I guess we're about to find out how greedy the players really are.

This is all true in a strictly legal sense, but it is not at all how CBA negotiations play out in real life. In all probability there will be a week or so of consistent, intense negotiations, after which a deal that looks a lot like this will be reached.

A 50/50 split seems like a decent deal for the players, but keep in mind that there are other elements to take into account. This proposal is scary for young players with that ELC extension and pushing the UFA age forward. I like the idea of five-year maximum contracts, though, and I don't think that the players should complain about that.

It's only fair if '50-50' is TRULY '50-50'. If that is the case then a minor tweek by the players should do it!

For thise of you slagging the NHLPA....just remember it was the OWNERS who caused these issues. They are their own worst enemies. None of you would refuse the amount of money being bandied about by these owners who are now crying foul for THEIR own ineptitude.

Archived