The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL makes 50-50 revenue split offer

uber_pwnzor

No, it is. That's why this is an Offer, and not negotiations. They can sit down all day over coffee and donuts and talk about where they'd like to be and it isn't legally binding. This is a contract offer. The second the NHLPA asks for anything else, it's a counter-offer. This is also literally how all negotiations with all Unions work all the time everywhere. Negotiations to understand positions and where the other party is willing to go, and then an official offer. If the NHLPA says boo, the Owners go to the press. I'm not trying to talk down or be a douche, and I will hold off until this is confirmed, and come eat crow if I'm wrong, but there are only 2 conclusions here. The NHLPA unilaterally agrees to accept it. Or they reject the offer. There won't be words like 'sat down to negotiate' in the heading. The word they'll use is reject, and that offer will no longer be available, and in a few days the NHLPA will file a formal counter-proposal. There's not a new offer given every day during these things. There's a lot of talk, and then lawyers draft up these complicated 200 page proposals only once they understand what they can and can not get away with. It's either Accept or Reject, is all I'm saying. There won't be a situation where this is amended and signed within a few hours. It's completely impossible.

Well, that's totally correct. But only because until today, the position has been 'Players won't accept rollbacks, players want more HRR' and the Owners saying they wanted to rollback salaries again is completely unreasonable. Now the Owners have offered the Players precisely what their sticking points are. No Rollback. 50/50 split. The Owners have been unreasonable, up until today. That's the point i'm more trying to make. I'm not on the Owners side, and i think that signing NHL players to lengthy contracts before the lockout, knowing that you'll be going to the negotiating table asking for some of that money back is wrong. But you also can't expect the Owners to walk in and give up everything. The give is no salary rollbacks and a better split. The take is shorter terms.

The owners are geniuses offering this deal, it's win-win for them

If the players accept it then hockey starts again and they'll be getting 50% instead of 43%

If the players reject it (which would be idiotic) then everyone will turn on them and be 100% in favour of the owners, suck it up and accept this deal NHLPA

I think the NHLPA will have a counter offer of 27 years of age to become UFA and 6 years max on contract. The players have to except it else bring on the hate mail. Would there be pre-season games? I'd think there would have to be atleast a few. The first two weeks of the season will be really sloppy.

If anything was put in to be removed, it's this

"Not only is NHL proposing 5 year limit on player contract length, it's proposing the yearly salary variance can't be more than 5 per cent."

I imagine that the 5% variance will be budgeworthy on the Owner POV, assuming that their goal is to actually strike a deal and just get hockey going. It turns out the players are meeting in the next 24-48 to discuss it,and it's expected they'll counter (per Dreger), but nothing guaranteed. It was actually silly of me to expect that they'd had a thorough meeting on it so quickly.

Archived