The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Security Guard Beaten - Poco

Jester@wraiths.ca

This is a sickening, brutal attack, which when I first heard "security guard attacked" I thought maybe he interrupted a theft, but no, these guys that beat him did it with no other purpose... Click the link to the story to see the picture of the security guard in the hospital...

http://www.theprovin...9478/story.html

65-year-old Surrey security guard is in hospital with more than 100 stitches to his head after being brutally beaten by three men in an unprovoked attack.

It was Sunday, the early morning and pouring rain, when Hoshiar Singh Bajwa was patrolling a construction site at Pitt River Community Middle Schoolon Tyner Street in Port Coquitlam.

“He was just doing his job,” said Bajwa’s son Baljeet at his father’s bedside at Royal Columbian Hospital on Sunday. “Now he’s in trauma. He’s saying he didn’t know they were going to attack him like that.”

READ MORE NEWS AT VANCOUVERDESI.COM

It was around 3 a.m. when Bajwa saw a man jump the fence and went over to talk to him. The man said he needed help because he was being chased by two guys.

Bajwa didn’t see the two other men who jumped him from behind, until they grabbed him and started beating him with one of the many metal rods lying around the site.

Even when Bajwa fell to the ground helpless, his attackers continued the assault, beating him and kicking him about 50 to 70 times for what felt like 10 minutes, said Bajwa. All the blows were to his head. When they were done, the men fled and left Bajwa lying in a pool of blood.

Dazed and in pain, Bajwa managed to call 911 and his family.

When his daughter Rita Grewal arrived at the site, she couldn’t recognize her dad, who was covered in blood, soil, sand and mud.

“There was blood all over, down his eyes and all over his clothes,” said Rita Grewal. “I couldn’t even recognize him. The blood was too much. He couldn’t even speak.”

It took more than 100 stitches to close the wounds to Bajwa’s head. The stitches criss-cross his forehead, then trail down his face to his eye and along the side of his head.

Lying in hospital, Bajwa’s hair still had traces of blood, while his right eye was swollen shut. The beating was so severe doctors said he could lose vision in that eye, said Baljeet.

Grewal said her dad is “pretty strong,” and used to be in the military when he was a young man.

“He tried to save himself,” she said, but could not defend himself from an ambush from three much younger men who attacked from behind with no provocation.

Now Bajwa’s family is left wondering what the motive could be for the assault, whether it was an attempted robbery, a racially motivated attack or someone’s idea of a sick prank.

“It was a planned attack,” said Baljeet. “They were looking for a soft target.”

Arvinder Tanesar, Bajwa’s supervisor at Canuck Security, said nothing was stolen from the site and there was no apparent vandalism.

Bajwa has been with the company for about two years and was an “excellent employee” and “very polite,” he said: “It is really very bad. I can’t express my words. We can’t imagine who would do something like this.”

Coquitlam RCMP said it is investigating.

Bajwa described the three men as Caucasian and in their mid-20s. One was about five foot eight, while the other two were about five foot five.

His family said they hope his attackers are brought to justice.

“They should be caught and punished,” said Rita Grewal. “I don’t know how they can look at themselves in the mirror when they see what they did.”

“It sickens me that such a senseless and cowardly attack happened for no apparent reason,” said Baldev Grewal, Bajwa’s nephew. “Hate crime or not, this cowardly attack on a senior is appalling.”

chchan@theprovince.com

The factor that makes this so horrible is that they lured the guy specifically to attack him. He wouldn't have gone over like that if the guy hadn't said he needed help... they set an ambush for the sole purpose of beating a 65 year old man, badly.

3 gutless pieces of crap. It was 3 males, but they aren't men, they're as cowardly as can be.

Security Gaurds cant really do anything, they arent given any power, they deserve to have something to protect themselves.

Agreed. If their job description requires them to be in dangerous situations they should be equipped with tools that'll protect them should anything occur.

Hope they find the people who were responsible.

Totally disgusting. In my opinion there should be very harsh penalties for this type of crime. A 3 on 1 attack is simply despicable. Especially when it's against an elderly man or an other wise 'weaker' member of society. Find these animals and send them away. None of this first time offender parole crap. If it is their first offense too damn bad, it's enough for society to deem you a dangerous person, away you go. If they're underage charge their parents as well.

Archived