The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you support Resurgence of a Rival League such as the WHA

mabbott

Would you support a Rival League in North America  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No.

The WHA was one thing that drove salaries up in the first place. We don't need a league competing for the talent that is available, it will only water down what we have now. What we need is for the two sides to work together to fix the problems they have.

I voted Yes.

We would not have the Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Nordique, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames etc without having leagues willing to support legitimate markets. I grew up supporting Bobby Hull and Thomas Steen in Winnipeg, ask someone in T.O. if they would watch a team if they could not get on the perenially sold out ticket list?

Particularly if Toronto had an alternate team that actually cared or had the skills to win a game?

What the NHL needs to realize is that grass roots markets are fundamental to the game. Currently, the most publicized reason for the lockout is that the league can only survive in these fringe markets such as Phoenix if the players make enough concessions that they can be viable. And the awkward part is the NHLPA has card carrying members whose livelihood alo requires their survival.

Unless the league just establishes teams in places they can thrive. The real solution is to move floundering teams to places like suburban Toronto, Quebec and?

Bettman needs to get his head out of his phoenix! :rolleyes: It would be hilarious if a new league formed rather than conforming to this 3rd lockout under this regime.

No.

The WHA was one thing that drove salaries up in the first place. We don't need a league competing for the talent that is available, it will only water down what we have now. What we need is for the two sides to work together to fix the problems they have.

I really can't see what a league could offer during it's first 5 years that would even rival the AHL. I mean, the KHL gets big names, kind of, but mostly players who don't get NHL jobs and ex-pats who are getting 4-5x what they're offered in the NHL. A North American 2nd league would have none of the appeal to the locals that would pull someone in just to prove that their country is as good. And the upstart league would lack everything that makes the NHL special, like history and tradition. I wouldn't support it, and I'm pretty sure the league would not have a single, respectable player in his prime, unless you consider guys like Matt Cooke signing over and getting 6m so he can lead the league in scoring to be respectable.

I voted Yes.

We would not have the Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Nordique, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames etc without having leagues willing to support legitimate markets. I grew up supporting Bobby Hull and Thomas Steen in Winnipeg, ask someone in T.O. if they would watch a team if they could not get on the perenially sold out ticket list?

Particularly if Toronto had an alternate team that actually cared or had the skills to win a game?

What the NHL needs to realize is that grass roots markets are fundamental to the game. Currently, the most publicized reason for the lockout is that the league can only survive in these fringe markets such as Phoenix if the players make enough concessions that they can be viable. And the awkward part is the NHLPA has card carrying members whose livelihood alo requires their survival.

Unless the league just establishes teams in places they can thrive. The real solution is to move floundering teams to places like suburban Toronto, Quebec and?

Bettman needs to get his head out of his phoenix! :rolleyes: It would be hilarious if a new league formed rather than conforming to this 3rd lockout under this regime.

I voted Yes, cause I would love to see a league run by the players themselves. I would also love to see a league witha divsion in Europe and one in North America. With teams from the two divsions meeting only in the playoffs, kind of like teh way the MLB use to be with the American and National leagues.

No.

Another WHA? If you think today's NHL owners are out of touch with their markets then look out for the bunch you would get in a revitalized WHA. I went to the '74 series between the WHA and the Ruskies. Talked to Jimmy Pattison(Vancouver Blazers) and Harold Baldwin(Hartford Whalers). They were at least knowledgeable but some of the others were bizarre. Most of them were fast buck speculators who were counting on a merger with the NHL to cash in. They were just as interested in making a buck as NHL owners are today.

If you don't think the players are in it for the money then or today then I suggest you read Derek Sanderson's book. Booze, women and drugs. Get real people. This is a show.

Of Course, if the quality was good. I don't care what the name of the league is, its the talent on it's teams that make me decide if I watch or not.

KHL should expand to Europe first and then to a few North American teams Perhaps have a NA division of 8 to 10 teams in the best hockey markets on the continent. They could have road trips to Russia and Europe. Teams from Russia and Europe could come thru here on road trips where they would go thru the whole NA division. It would be great to be able to watch Moscow Dynamo, I'd watch for sure. Maybe even more than the NHL because it would be an International League.

Archived