Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Would you support Resurgence of a Rival League such as the WHA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support a Rival League in North America

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Would you support the resurgence of a rival league to the NHL

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Would You Support another Top Level Talent League this side of the pond?

Edited by mabbott, 16 October 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#2 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

No.

The WHA was one thing that drove salaries up in the first place. We don't need a league competing for the talent that is available, it will only water down what we have now. What we need is for the two sides to work together to fix the problems they have.
Posted Image

#3 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,184 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

I voted Yes.

We would not have the Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Nordique, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames etc without having leagues willing to support legitimate markets. I grew up supporting Bobby Hull and Thomas Steen in Winnipeg, ask someone in T.O. if they would watch a team if they could not get on the perenially sold out ticket list?

Particularly if Toronto had an alternate team that actually cared or had the skills to win a game?

What the NHL needs to realize is that grass roots markets are fundamental to the game. Currently, the most publicized reason for the lockout is that the league can only survive in these fringe markets such as Phoenix if the players make enough concessions that they can be viable. And the awkward part is the NHLPA has card carrying members whose livelihood alo requires their survival.

Unless the league just establishes teams in places they can thrive. The real solution is to move floundering teams to places like suburban Toronto, Quebec and?

Bettman needs to get his head out of his phoenix! :rolleyes: It would be hilarious if a new league formed rather than conforming to this 3rd lockout under this regime.

No.

The WHA was one thing that drove salaries up in the first place. We don't need a league competing for the talent that is available, it will only water down what we have now. What we need is for the two sides to work together to fix the problems they have.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 16 October 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#4 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

I really can't see what a league could offer during it's first 5 years that would even rival the AHL. I mean, the KHL gets big names, kind of, but mostly players who don't get NHL jobs and ex-pats who are getting 4-5x what they're offered in the NHL. A North American 2nd league would have none of the appeal to the locals that would pull someone in just to prove that their country is as good. And the upstart league would lack everything that makes the NHL special, like history and tradition. I wouldn't support it, and I'm pretty sure the league would not have a single, respectable player in his prime, unless you consider guys like Matt Cooke signing over and getting 6m so he can lead the league in scoring to be respectable.

#5 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

ya i think it wud b hard to get a new league going but if attracted some big names i think it could b success full in a perfect world

#6 16ToWin

16ToWin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Why would you need another league? We have incredible teams right now in the WHL,AHL QJHL ECHL.. What more do you want? If your pissed at the NHL(as a whole).. F-them.. Watch better,younger,faster,hungry and happy to be there, teams
Home honey,.I'm high

#7 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I voted Yes.

We would not have the Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Nordique, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames etc without having leagues willing to support legitimate markets. I grew up supporting Bobby Hull and Thomas Steen in Winnipeg, ask someone in T.O. if they would watch a team if they could not get on the perenially sold out ticket list?

Particularly if Toronto had an alternate team that actually cared or had the skills to win a game?

What the NHL needs to realize is that grass roots markets are fundamental to the game. Currently, the most publicized reason for the lockout is that the league can only survive in these fringe markets such as Phoenix if the players make enough concessions that they can be viable. And the awkward part is the NHLPA has card carrying members whose livelihood alo requires their survival.

Unless the league just establishes teams in places they can thrive. The real solution is to move floundering teams to places like suburban Toronto, Quebec and?

Bettman needs to get his head out of his phoenix! :rolleyes: It would be hilarious if a new league formed rather than conforming to this 3rd lockout under this regime.

Calgary Flames? I think you mean Carolina Hurricanes (formerly the Hartford Whalers).

#8 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

I voted Yes, cause I would love to see a league run by the players themselves. I would also love to see a league witha divsion in Europe and one in North America. With teams from the two divsions meeting only in the playoffs, kind of like teh way the MLB use to be with the American and National leagues.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#9 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

No.

maybe at first, but a league from the 70s has nothing to do with today's over inflated salaries. the GMs, and other major professional sports leagues, are to blame for that.

#10 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,117 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Another WHA? If you think today's NHL owners are out of touch with their markets then look out for the bunch you would get in a revitalized WHA. I went to the '74 series between the WHA and the Ruskies. Talked to Jimmy Pattison(Vancouver Blazers) and Harold Baldwin(Hartford Whalers). They were at least knowledgeable but some of the others were bizarre. Most of them were fast buck speculators who were counting on a merger with the NHL to cash in. They were just as interested in making a buck as NHL owners are today.

If you don't think the players are in it for the money then or today then I suggest you read Derek Sanderson's book. Booze, women and drugs. Get real people. This is a show.

#11 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

I been watchin khl, ahl I don't mind.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#12 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

Of Course, if the quality was good. I don't care what the name of the league is, its the talent on it's teams that make me decide if I watch or not.

KHL should expand to Europe first and then to a few North American teams Perhaps have a NA division of 8 to 10 teams in the best hockey markets on the continent. They could have road trips to Russia and Europe. Teams from Russia and Europe could come thru here on road trips where they would go thru the whole NA division. It would be great to be able to watch Moscow Dynamo, I'd watch for sure. Maybe even more than the NHL because it would be an International League.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.