The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any existing deal in excess of 5 years would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire!

VoiceOfReason_

Haha, Voice of Reason. Dramatic much?

You post that as if it's likely to be part of the new CBA.

A voice or reason would wait to see how that proposal plays out.

Like a lead balloon would be my guess.

It would effectively apply the terms that were exclusively applied to 35+ contracts, to all existing contracts, and make the cap space untradeable.

Oddball clause that would create a lot of conflict when a deal is going to require consensus.

Haha, Voice of Reason. Dramatic much?

You post that as if it's likely to be part of the new CBA.

A voice or reason would wait to see how that proposal plays out.

Like a lead balloon would be my guess.

It would effectively apply the terms that were exclusively applied to 35+ contracts, to all existing contracts, and make the cap space untradeable.

Oddball clause that would create a lot of conflict when a deal is going to require consensus.

That will never fly for existing contracts... too many clubs would be screwed by it. I don't see that one being in the final deal.

If it is, AND if the rule where NHL players in the minors still count towards the cap... then the Canucks are pretty screwed in terms of Luongo. The only hope would be to allow a one-time option to buyout a contract for every team... then at least his cap hit is gone.

EDIT:

Mackenzie clarified to state that the ORIGINAL club that signed the player to that contract is on the hook for the cap hit even if they get traded. Makes Luongo easily tradeable but hits the Canucks pretty hard in terms of cap hit for a player they no longer employ.

That will never fly for existing contracts... too many clubs would be screwed by it. I don't see that one being in the final deal.

If it is, AND if the rule where NHL players in the minors still count towards the cap... then the Canucks are pretty screwed in terms of Luongo. The only hope would be to allow a one-time option to buyout a contract for every team... then at least his cap hit is gone.

EDIT:

Mackenzie clarified to state that the ORIGINAL club that signed the player to that contract is on the hook for the cap hit even if they get traded. Makes Luongo easily tradeable but hits the Canucks pretty hard in terms of cap hit for a player they no longer employ.

There are a number of things that the NHL proposed that won't pass. This won't pass because almost all of the big clubs(Vancouver, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, Boston, etc.) attempted to circumvent the salary cap at one point or another.

They'll make this rule apply to all new contracts. If this becomes a part of the CBA, Luongo is a Canuck for life.

There are a number of things that the NHL proposed that won't pass. This won't pass because almost all of the big clubs(Vancouver, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, Boston, etc.) attempted to circumvent the salary cap at one point or another.

They'll make this rule apply to all new contracts. If this becomes a part of the CBA, Luongo is a Canuck for life.

As a Blackhawks fan I'm certainly ok with the Keith deal, he'll still be effective for the duration of his contract. Hossa is 50/50, but as long as he's relatively healthy he could be ok too. I always envisioned Hossa becoming a great 3rd liner during the latter part of his career.

Archived