Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

http://www.theprovin...4400/story.html

He tweeted:

Posted Image
My Teamate said who I think Won the debate. I said the American Ppl. Cause if they watched carefully BOTH OF THEM Hide Money with the Chinks

Apparently he didn't realize the expression "hide money with the Chinks" or the word "Chink" was racist.

#2 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,889 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

POPULAR

He should just stick to what he is good at... being a large, black man who specializes in grabbing other men.

#3 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,540 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

And similar to Yunel Escobar's defence of a gay slur he wrote on his eye-black, Khalif Mitchell claims that he didn't know that what he tweeted was considered a racist slur.

Honestly, either these athletes are ignorant, are defending themselves with weak excuses, or else they're just plain stupid. Not sure which one it is yet, but clearly there's more to life than being a pro athlete. Just because they live their lives in the world of pro sports it doesn't excuse them from being informed on world issues. They are still a part of the same world as the rest of us and they should be living under the same moral compass.

This is why if my kid(s) ever want to be pro-athletes I am going to make them go the college route. It's not good enough to be a dumb jock. Still gotta know about world issues and be sensitive to the situations that affect us all.

/ rant :)
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

1. 'merican.

2. Three major wars against them there people over the last few decades. (Never directly against China though.)

3. A lot of jobs have been apparently lost in the US. To China? Perhaps.

4. He's kinda right, in that Obama and Romney are powerless to curb this perceived problem. That being 'merican bloated laziness and class war.
Posted Image

#5 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,889 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

And he's a BC Lion... "pro" life is a bit of a stretch. Players in the CFL are still one and the same as the common man, it's not that glamorous of a life.

#6 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,827 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Minus the racially insensitive term... he's not wrong. I wouldn't doubt he truly was unaware it was not the best terminology to use either. The stereotype of "dumb jock" is there for a reason...just saying...
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Khalif man....cmon..... :picard: :sadno:
Posted Image

#8 Gerg

Gerg

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

This is why if my kid(s) ever want to be pro-athletes I am going to make them go the college route. It's not good enough to be a dumb jock. Still gotta know about world issues and be sensitive to the situations that affect us all.

/ rant :)

Mitchell went to college for four years and got a degree in communications. College doesn't protect anyone from being dumb.
Posted Image

#9 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

hahaha, didn't realize it was a racial slur. Give me a ???? break, what kind of excuse is that?

Did he seriously think people would believe that?

RIP LB RR PD

#10 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have nothing but contempt for rascists.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#11 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

i wonder if he ran out of characters on twitter so he shortened it...

edit:
yup just put it into twitter id say he ran out of characters and then just shortened the last word. an unfortunate thing but i doubt it was meant maliciously.

^ obviously not an excuse for ignorance but twitter can be evil for getting a message across with its word limits.

Edited by stexx, 17 October 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#12 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,331 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

My mom didn't know that that term was offensive, as it isn't used (where we live) as much as the other slurs.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#13 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

My grandfather still uses that term regularly.

Posted Image

#14 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sucks to be in the limelight. *Us regular folk can say whatever we want...

Edited by The Phaneuf Train, 17 October 2012 - 03:58 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#15 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

i wonder if he ran out of characters on twitter so he shortened it...

edit:
yup just put it into twitter id say he ran out of characters and then just shortened the last word. an unfortunate thing but i doubt it was meant maliciously.

^ obviously not an excuse for ignorance but twitter can be evil for getting a message across with its word limits.

Running out of characters on Twitter is an even worse excuse than saying you didn't know it was a racial slur.

#16 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

This actually really pisses me off...
Why is he getting sued for a vague and very common statement that was obviously unintended to be racist?

Where was the NHL when Marchand brutally attacked Luongo over twitter?
Silliness.
Posted Image

#17 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

This actually really pisses me off...
Why is he getting sued for a vague and very common statement that was obviously unintended to be racist?

Where was the NHL when Marchand brutally attacked Luongo over twitter?
Silliness.

Dude, your pills?

He's not getting sued. People are calling out for making offensive and ignorant comments. He deserves to be called out, and if genuinly didn't know (yeah right) what he was doing was racist, now he knows.

#18 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

The only reason I know that's a racial slur is because of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Otherwise I wouldn't know "chinks" was a racist term...Unlikely that he didn't know, but still plausible.

In any event, whether he knew or not, he still posted it. The onus is still on him.

/=S=/

#19 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I used to really like this guy as a player, but after the arm-pulling incident, and now this...I've lost a lot of respect for him. He should choose his words carefully from now on because the Lions are a very good team with lots of depth and there many guys capable of replacing Mitchell on the D-Line and can keep their mouth shut while doing so.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#20 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

The only reason I know that's a racial slur is because of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Otherwise I wouldn't know "chinks" was a racist term...Unlikely that he didn't know, but still plausible.

In any event, whether he knew or not, he still posted it. The onus is still on him.

Mitchell is plain ignorant and an embarrassment. Even if "chink" is an actual word, which it is (meaning= a small crack) you have to know that it has negative connotations and people will be upset. Ignorance is no excuse.

How many here know that "niggardly" is an actual word? It means to be stingy. It would be correct usage if I used it in the following manner.

"That Michael Jordan sure is niggardly."

Even though it's used correctly. I'd be a damn fool to actually speak those words because anyone with a brain knows the poopstorm that will greet them if they do. A councilman in the States found that out the hard way a few years ago. Even though he used it correctly the poopstorm did indeed find him and he was forced to resign. Ignorance is no excuse.

#21 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

He claimed innocence after the arm-twisting incident and felt since he had done no wrong he had no reason to apologize for that ok fine..then comes the throat slashing gestures and he offers up a bs excuse of doing a cross which was a bunch of bull now he claims he doesn't know that word is offensive.. give me a friggin break. Who is he fooling..

Were not exactly missing a beat without him.. Not that i think he deserves to lose his roster spot but if the team were to let him go i wouldn't care.

I get more riled up when a player offers up a lame ass excuse like this than if he were to just come out and admit he screwed up. 1040 guys were berating him pretty good on the drive home.

#22 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

How in the hell do you guys not know that "chink" is a racial slur for Chinese people?

Are you guys seriously living under rocks?

RIP LB RR PD

#23 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Having lived in the US and gone to school there I have no doubt Kalif didn't know it was a racist term. In the US it's a pretty common way of describing Asian people particularly amongst Black people.

If you saw the screenshots of his Twitter comments it's clear he didn't know and when ppl pointed it out to him he apologised and said he wasn't aware. He didn't make this up hours later or the next day. It was immediate and part of the ongoing conversation.

#24 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

If you saw the screenshots of his Twitter comments it's clear he didn't know and when ppl pointed it out to him he apologised and said he wasn't aware. He didn't make this up hours later or the next day. It was immediate and part of the ongoing conversation.

Then at best he's stupid and should delete his Twitter account. The dumber you are, the more trouble you're going to get in via Twitter.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 17 October 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#25 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Having lived in the US and gone to school there I have no doubt Kalif didn't know it was a racist term. In the US it's a pretty common way of describing Asian people particularly amongst Black people.

He's been living in a major city that is about half Asian now for 2 years. He should know better by now.

#26 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

B.C. Lions’ Khalif Mitchell fined by CFL, benched for Eskimos game after ‘unacceptable’ racial Twitter comments

*Video of Mitchell apologizing in link at bottom of post*

METRO VANCOUVER — In six short years, the social media network Twitter has profoundly changed the sports landscape in North America. Every NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL and CFL franchise has a Twitter presence to shape news and connect with fans, including the B.C. Lions, whose organization and players tweet religiously.

But Lions general manager Wally Buono has only tepidly and warily embraced the Twitterverse. Wednesday gave him further cause for suspicion of the medium’s ability to do harm after Lions defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell was fined by the CFL for tweeting an inappropriate and racially insensitive comment.

A couple hours later, the Lions followed up the league’s action by saying that Mitchell will not be in uniform Friday when the team plays the Edmonton Eskimos at BC Place Stadium, even though Mitchell practised with the first-team defence on Wednesday.

“Honestly, I hate Twitter. I hate Facebook,” Buono admitted. “The reason is, it’s just too public. Everything is so public about everything you do. I live by the philosophy that, if you can pick up a stone and throw it, because you haven’t done it, then pick up a stone. I just don’t think there are too many people who can say they haven’t made a comment they regretted and said something that might have been derogatory toward a certain group of people. Here, obviously, what happened was wrong. But we live in a world where we have to be tolerant of other people, whether we like it or not.”

Mitchell’s offending tweet represented the third time this season the player has run afoul of league policy and forced the Lions to issue their own rebuke later. And it’s also the third time Buono has been forced to go to bat to defend his All-CFL tackle.

Having him on the Lions is a delicate balancing act, veering from Mitchell’s predilection to a be loose cannon to his genial nature and enormous physical presence, when it is channeled in the right direction on the football field.

“Things are sometimes done and said and there’s no thought to the process,” Buono told a media scrum after practice. “It’s okay when you’re in the privacy of your house. But, unfortunately, we live in a world today where there is no privacy. Whether it’s an employee, a player, even myself, if every time you make a mistake and you cut somebody, or release somebody, I don’t know that anyone would be employed. I don’t think you (media) would be employed, quite honestly.”

Mere hours after Mitchell’s tweet, the CFL acted swiftly with a fine and a re-statement of the league’s social media policy. It said:"All postings made to social media are treated as 'public' and are subject to the same discipline if a player or employee made similar comments or actions in a public forum or in front of a camera or microphone. If a player, team employee or league employee uses social media (which includes re-tweeting or reposting someone else's comment(s) to their own social media account) in a manner that may bring the CFL into disrepute, including posts that condone harassment, discrimination or violence, are obscene or sexually explicit, or divulge proprietary information or disparage the league, teams, officials, players, employees or fans, they will be subject to discipline from the Commissioner's Office."

In response to the league’s action, Lions president Dennis Skulsky said that Mitchell, who missed the previous three starts with a quadriceps injury, will not play Friday against the Eskimos.

“A joint decision has been made between VP of football operations Wally Buono, head coach Mike Benevides and I to remove him from the starting lineup,” Skulsky said in a statement. “Despite his public expression of remorse, we believe this is the best course of action for our organization at this time. Let me state very clearly on behalf of our entire organization that Khalif’s message was completely inappropriate and we apologize to anyone who was offended by it.”

In September, the CFL fined Mitchell for making provocative throat-slashing gestures in a game against the Eskimos at Commonwealth Stadium. In August, he was suspended for two games, without pay, after a reckless takedown on Eskimos offensive lineman Simeon Rottier, stemming from a July 20 game at BC Place when he wrenched the player’s arm to the point of injury. Mitchell appealed the suspension but an independent arbitrator later ruled against him.

Unlike the two previous incidents, however, Mitchell issued an apology for his latest transgression.

"I made a comment, and it wasn't right," he said, truly appearing to be contrite. "I want to apologize. The comments that I made were done from unknown knowledge. I want to apologize to everyone out there who may have been offended, on behalf of me, my team and my organization."

As a lightning rod for controversy, Mitchell is supported by some, tolerated by others on the Lions.

“If I’m a grown man, and I don’t know how to police myself, or when to shut up, especially on a social site or a public forum, then I have some issues,” said Lions veteran Dante Marsh. “I’ve done all that I can do.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz29bkAAD3I

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 17 October 2012 - 05:58 PM.

13yl1g7.jpg

#27 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

http://www.theprovin...4400/story.html

He tweeted:

Apparently he didn't realize the expression "hide money with the Chinks" or the word "Chink" was racist.

Then he is ignorant but there is no need to be angry over an honest mistake. I don't think he intended on tweeting something racist.

Edited by JeremyW, 17 October 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#28 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

How come it's ok for us to say "stupid Americans" or "damn rednecks" or things of that sort but not ok for him to use that adjective?
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#29 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,451 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

How come it's ok for us to say "stupid Americans" or "damn rednecks" or things of that sort but not ok for him to use that adjective?

They aren't race based even though they are often ignorant.

It's a noun.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#30 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,451 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Mitchell is plain ignorant and an embarrassment. Even if "chink" is an actual word, which it is (meaning= a small crack) you have to know that it has negative connotations and people will be upset. Ignorance is no excuse.

How many here know that "niggardly" is an actual word? It means to be stingy. It would be correct usage if I used it in the following manner.

"That Michael Jordan sure is niggardly."

Even though it's used correctly. I'd be a damn fool to actually speak those words because anyone with a brain knows the poopstorm that will greet them if they do. A councilman in the States found that out the hard way a few years ago. Even though he used it correctly the poopstorm did indeed find him and he was forced to resign. Ignorance is no excuse.

Context is important but so is discretion.

For example, if I ask "What does N.W.A. stand for?" It would be best to not answer that directly on twitter if I was a public figure who was not black.

Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.