The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Lion Khalif Mitchell makes racist comment on his twitter towards Asians

taxi

And similar to Yunel Escobar's defence of a gay slur he wrote on his eye-black, Khalif Mitchell claims that he didn't know that what he tweeted was considered a racist slur.

Honestly, either these athletes are ignorant, are defending themselves with weak excuses, or else they're just plain stupid. Not sure which one it is yet, but clearly there's more to life than being a pro athlete. Just because they live their lives in the world of pro sports it doesn't excuse them from being informed on world issues. They are still a part of the same world as the rest of us and they should be living under the same moral compass.

This is why if my kid(s) ever want to be pro-athletes I am going to make them go the college route. It's not good enough to be a dumb jock. Still gotta know about world issues and be sensitive to the situations that affect us all.

/ rant :)

1. 'merican.

2. Three major wars against them there people over the last few decades. (Never directly against China though.)

3. A lot of jobs have been apparently lost in the US. To China? Perhaps.

4. He's kinda right, in that Obama and Romney are powerless to curb this perceived problem. That being 'merican bloated laziness and class war.

This is why if my kid(s) ever want to be pro-athletes I am going to make them go the college route. It's not good enough to be a dumb jock. Still gotta know about world issues and be sensitive to the situations that affect us all.

/ rant :)

i wonder if he ran out of characters on twitter so he shortened it...

edit:

yup just put it into twitter id say he ran out of characters and then just shortened the last word. an unfortunate thing but i doubt it was meant maliciously.

^ obviously not an excuse for ignorance but twitter can be evil for getting a message across with its word limits.

i wonder if he ran out of characters on twitter so he shortened it...

edit:

yup just put it into twitter id say he ran out of characters and then just shortened the last word. an unfortunate thing but i doubt it was meant maliciously.

^ obviously not an excuse for ignorance but twitter can be evil for getting a message across with its word limits.

This actually really pisses me off...

Why is he getting sued for a vague and very common statement that was obviously unintended to be racist?

Where was the NHL when Marchand brutally attacked Luongo over twitter?

Silliness.

The only reason I know that's a racial slur is because of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Otherwise I wouldn't know "chinks" was a racist term...Unlikely that he didn't know, but still plausible.

In any event, whether he knew or not, he still posted it. The onus is still on him.

I used to really like this guy as a player, but after the arm-pulling incident, and now this...I've lost a lot of respect for him. He should choose his words carefully from now on because the Lions are a very good team with lots of depth and there many guys capable of replacing Mitchell on the D-Line and can keep their mouth shut while doing so.

The only reason I know that's a racial slur is because of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Otherwise I wouldn't know "chinks" was a racist term...Unlikely that he didn't know, but still plausible.

In any event, whether he knew or not, he still posted it. The onus is still on him.

Archived