The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Lion Khalif Mitchell makes racist comment on his twitter towards Asians

taxi

Pratt =/= all of Canada

He's obviously just doing his job, which is to get as much dirt as he can on certain topics.

I'm pretty sure everyone can tell you that Canadian's are probably the most sympathetic and apologetic people in this world...

What do you think of the term, "Chinaman"? Is it as bad as Chink? Sometimes I hear the term on old time radio (radios shows from the the 1930's and 1940's) and old b/w movies from that area. And even now I hear that term, though less frequently. One time I heard a older fellow talking on the bus calling his doctor a "Chinaman".

Do you hold Kalif to higher standards compared to your self?

Was it Jesus who said rise those amongst you who have not sinned?

The man immediately apologized. You can call him ignorant but he did not know it was a racist term. I believe him due to my life experience. You do not have to agree with me. It's just my opinion.

Get off your high horse. If I put you on a lie detector and asked if u have ever used the word " chink" or "n****er" I bet u fail.

Like I said in my earlier post, having lived, gone to school and worked in the US I completely believe Kalif did not use the word chink in a racist manner. He comes from a culture where the word chink is not considered racist.

I asked u if u have even read Kalif Mitchell's tweets.

Edit to answer ur question people in his community use the word chink as a shorter version of the word a Chinese person.

Again he apologized immediately on twitter in the middle of the conversation he used this word in He explained he was unaware it's considered racist.

I bet no one thinks the word "flash" is racist. But it is. Do u know what the word " flash" means? Ask a Fijian guy hell say it's racist, ask 99% of CDC they don't know what it means.

From my life experience I have no doubt Kalif does not think of the word he used as racist. It's just a word people use in the community he grew up in. It's a racist word in the community u grew up in.

Tell me have u read his Twitter posts u are talking about ?

To the people saying "It's just a word", think of it in this context:

The F word is just a word, but now I dare you to go tell your grandma to F off. Go ahead, its just a word. You're not going to because its disrespectful.

I'm a white male, you can call me cracker, you can call me whitey, you can call my Whitey McCracker, and I'm ok with it. The history of oppression is simply not there. I am not ok with you calling a Chinese person the c word. I am not ok with you calling a black person the n word. These are oppressive terms used to bring people down. The language being thrown around this thread is out of hand. If it's no big deal because its "just a word", then it should be no big deal to find a more acceptable word to use.

To the people saying "It's just a word", think of it in this context:

The F word is just a word, but now I dare you to go tell your grandma to F off. Go ahead, its just a word. You're not going to because its disrespectful.

I'm a white male, you can call me cracker, you can call me whitey, you can call my Whitey McCracker, and I'm ok with it. The history of oppression is simply not there. I am not ok with you calling a Chinese person the c word. I am not ok with you calling a black person the n word. These are oppressive terms used to bring people down. The language being thrown around this thread is out of hand. If it's no big deal because its "just a word", then it should be no big deal to find a more acceptable word to use.

The English oppressed the Scots for ages .. is it acceptable to call a Scot an "oatmeal savage"? .. a "haggistani"? .. a "caber tosser"? .. a "porridge wog"? .. a "sheep shagger"? .. or my all time favorite .. a "thistle arse"? .. just curious, as "racist" terms are so endless ..

Personally it cracks me up when someone mocks my "nationality" .. anyone who has to resort to a "racist" comment to try and "put someone in their place socially" is just not worth paying attention too IMO .. consider the source, says I ..

And similar to Yunel Escobar's defence of a gay slur he wrote on his eye-black, Khalif Mitchell claims that he didn't know that what he tweeted was considered a racist slur.

Honestly, either these athletes are ignorant, are defending themselves with weak excuses, or else they're just plain stupid. Not sure which one it is yet, but clearly there's more to life than being a pro athlete. Just because they live their lives in the world of pro sports it doesn't excuse them from being informed on world issues. They are still a part of the same world as the rest of us and they should be living under the same moral compass.

This is why if my kid(s) ever want to be pro-athletes I am going to make them go the college route. It's not good enough to be a dumb jock. Still gotta know about world issues and be sensitive to the situations that affect us all.

/ rant :)

Archived