102 replies to this topic

#61 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

I just don't get why people get so worked up over a word. I'm Italian and there are multiple terms used for us that are supposed to be considered racist. Daygos, guineas, wops....but I can say with all honesty, I couldnt care less if someone used any of those words. I know not everyone is like myself and some, if not most, choose to get upset over the use of a "racial slur", but in the end, it's just a word.

Edited by Mr Soprano, 18 October 2012 - 02:33 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#62 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

I just don't get why people get so worked up over a word. I'm Italian and there are multiple terms used for us that are supposed to be considered racist. Daygos, guineas, wops....but I can say with all honesty, I couldnt care less if someone used any of those words. I know not everyone is like myself and some, if not most, choose to get upset over the use of a "racial slur", but in the end, it's just a word.

But we need something to be offended by.. someone think of the prudes!

#63 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'll give u a break. Because intelligence is not ur strong suit. I did not say it was right or I agreed with him.

I only shared my personal life experience. Any one who didn't see that is a moron.

Haha, and of course you made it abundantly clear that you didn't agree with the usage of the term in your post, right?

And I wasn't accusing you of being racist, namely, my point still stands. Just because people use the term liberally somehow makes the term not racist?

RIP LB RR PD

#64 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

I hate it when people say "I don't care if someone calls me cracker". Not quite the same, and if you can't figure out why, then you are as ignorant as Khalif Mitchell.

Posted Image~Biznow

#65 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

I hate it when people say "I don't care if someone calls me cracker". Not quite the same, and if you can't figure out why, then you are as ignorant as Khalif Mitchell.

They conveniently ignore the historical connotations associated with the slurs, it's kinda what helps separate them in terms of severity.

#66 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

I'll give Khalif the benefit of the doubt (is that the correct phrase??) that he didn't know it was a racist comment. No second chances on that one. I prefer to believe most people are good at heart and no ill will was intended when using the word.

Just wondering why posters feel comfortable spelling "ch**ks" completely and not completely spell words such as "f**s" and "n****rs"?

#67 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Haha, and of course you made it abundantly clear that you didn't agree with the usage of the term in your post, right?

And I wasn't accusing you of being racist, namely, my point still stands. Just because people use the term liberally somehow makes the term not racist?

I bet no one thinks the word "flash" is racist. But it is. Do u know what the word " flash" means? Ask a Fijian guy hell say it's racist, ask 99% of CDC they don't know what it means.

From my life experience I have no doubt Kalif does not think of the word he used as racist. It's just a word people use in the community he grew up in. It's a racist word in the community u grew up in.

Tell me have u read his Twitter posts u are talking about ?

#68 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Question to CDC.

Is it racist to call a brown guy Hindu?

#69 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Question to CDC.

Is it racist to call a brown guy Hindu?

It's insensitive and ignorant, but not derogatory. The word "chi*nk" is, that's the difference.

I'm sorry, just because a word is commonly used in a community for a group of people does not make it acceptable. What exactly do you think people imply when they use the word ch*nk? DO you think the people in his community are using as a respectful word, or just because they're ignoramuses and don't know the words "Chinese person"?

Come on.

I bet no one thinks the word "flash" is racist. But it is. Do u know what the word " flash" means? Ask a Fijian guy hell say it's racist, ask 99% of CDC they don't know what it means.

It doesn't matter that CDC doesn't know that flash is a racist term, because nobody is going around calling Fijians "flashes".

There's a very distinct difference.

RIP LB RR PD

#70 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

It's insensitive and ignorant, but not derogatory. The word "chi*nk" is, that's the difference.

I'm sorry, just because a word is commonly used in a community for a group of people does not make it acceptable. What exactly do you think people imply when they use the word ch*nk? DO you think the people in his community are using as a respectful word, or just because they're ignoramuses and don't know the words "Chinese person"?

Come on.

It doesn't matter that CDC doesn't know that flash is a racist term, because nobody is going around calling Fijians "flashes".

There's a very distinct difference.

Get off your high horse. If I put you on a lie detector and asked if u have ever used the word " chink" or "n****er" I bet u fail.

Like I said in my earlier post, having lived, gone to school and worked in the US I completely believe Kalif did not use the word chink in a racist manner. He comes from a culture where the word chink is not considered racist.

I asked u if u have even read Kalif Mitchell's tweets.

Edit to answer ur question people in his community use the word chink as a shorter version of the word a Chinese person.

Again he apologized immediately on twitter in the middle of the conversation he used this word in He explained he was unaware it's considered racist.

Edited by WHL rocks, 18 October 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#71 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

If the word "chink" is considered such a racist and offensive term why is it possible to type it on CDC but when u type the N word it shows up as "I am racist".

#72 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Agreed.
I honestly wonder how many Chinese people actually got offended, or if it's just a bunch of non-Chinese people getting upset about it.

I'm Chinese and I'd be pretty upset if someone called me that. It's quite different when someone says, "He's a chink." vs "There's a chink in his armour."

Some people don't know the historically negative connotation of that word and they use it because they hear others using it, but once you find out, you should stop using that word. Hopefully, he won't be using it anymore.

#73 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

If the word "chink" is considered such a racist and offensive term why is it possible to type it on CDC but when u type the N word it shows up as "I am racist".

Considering how liberally it is being used in this thread perhaps it is time for a change.
Posted Image

#74 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Like I said in my earlier post, having lived, gone to school and worked in the US I completely believe Kalif did not use the word chink in a racist manner. He comes from a culture where the word chink is not considered racist.

So he didn't learn that it was offensive in school? Did he stop learning things when he left school? He's been in Vancouver for 2 years. If you haven't noticed Vancouver has a large percentage of people of Chinese background. He's has more than enough time to figure it out. Ignorance is no excuse. He should delete his Twitter account before it gets him into more trouble.

#75 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

So he didn't learn that it was offensive in school? Did he stop learning things when he left school? He's been in Vancouver for 2 years. If you haven't noticed Vancouver has a large percentage of people of Chinese background. He's has more than enough time to figure it out. Ignorance is no excuse. He should delete his Twitter account before it gets him into more trouble.

Do you hold Kalif to higher standards compared to your self?

Was it Jesus who said rise those amongst you who have not sinned?

The man immediately apologized. You can call him ignorant but he did not know it was a racist term. I believe him due to my life experience. You do not have to agree with me. It's just my opinion.

#76 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

The man immediately apologized. You can call him ignorant but he did not know it was a racist term. I believe him due to my life experience. You do not have to agree with me. It's just my opinion.

So it's okay for Kalif to make racist comments but Booth needs to be run out of town for hunting?

Just wondering where the moral needle is here.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#77 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

"CHINK" ...

A number of dictionaries have provided different suggestions as to the origin of chink. Some of these suggestions are that it originated from the Chinese courtesy ching-ching,[3] or that it evolved from the word China,[4] or that it was an alteration of Qing,[5] as in the Qing Dynasty (Ch'ing Dynasty), or that the word evolved from the other meaning of chink, which is a small crevice, crack, gap or a narrow opening, being a simile for small or slanted eyes. (Sometimes, the word is indeed employed as an adjective, as in chink-eyed.)[6]
The most obvious etymology is chink evolved from the Indo-Iranian word for China, that word now having similar pronunciations in various European languages, such as Persian.[7] And that the Indo-Iranian and hence European name for China is an alteration of the Chinese name Qin, which has recurred in Chinese history a number of times, including the name of the western kingdom, which took over the rest to form the first Empire. This was the first time the name had been seen, and now it is a very common family name in China and Vietnam (Cheng, Trinh, and similar). Because it is a very common family name, it is impossible to trace it back to any specific time place or person, and the lack of evidence for the coining of the term in English (or any other European language) is therefore not unusual. It is possible that word was imported into Indo-European as the name of the Qin state

Blame it on the Muslim world .. again .. (sarcasm alert) .. :)

In farsi, China is Chin. We call Chinese people, Chini. Am thinking that is old Persian, where they used the word chink to describe Chinese people.

Posted Image

#78 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

So it's okay for Kalif to make racist comments but Booth needs to be run out of town for hunting?

Just wondering where the moral needle is here.

Not at all. I think the Lions mgmt made a huge mistake by not suspending him. He will sit out a game but still get paid.

He is ignorant, but like I've said in all my posts on the topic I completely believe him. I believe him because of my life expereince and because I actually took the time to read all his tweets.

If ppl discussing this topic took a minute or two to actualy read his tweats from the timeline they will reallise what happened here.

I have serious issue with you on the 2nd subject. Obviously you are aware of my thoughts on the Booth situation, so why misrepresent them? It's not right, and you know its not right. My stance on the Booth situation is clear.

#79 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

I wholeheartedly believe that as a country (people) we in Canada are much less willing to accept a sincere apology opposed to our southern brethren.

Americans as a society are much more able to except a man's apology and move on.

I recall Pratt and Taylor had an American NFL reporter on their show. Pratt brought up the M Vick dog fighting thing. This is years after it all happened, Vick had served his time and was starting QB in Philly.

The American commented on it and attempted to move on but Pratt kept going back to the same topic, he just wouldn't let it go. Finally the man says (paraphrasing) here in America we believe if a man pays for his crime, pays his debt to society and apologises he has a right to move on in his life, but if you can't let go and if you can't move on then it's fine. We believe in forgiving and moving on in America.

I was already thinking the same thing, even before he made these comments.

#80 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

I wholeheartedly believe that as a country (people) we in Canada are much less willing to accept a sincere apology opposed to our southern brethren.

Americans as a society are much more able to except a man's apology and move on.

I recall Pratt and Taylor had an American NFL reporter on their show. Pratt brought up the M Vick dog fighting thing. This is years after it all happened, Vick had served his time and was starting QB in Philly.

The American commented on it and attempted to move on but Pratt kept going back to the same topic, he just wouldn't let it go. Finally the man says (paraphrasing) here in America we believe if a man pays for his crime, pays his debt to society and apologises he has a right to move on in his life, but if you can't let go and if you can't move on then it's fine. We believe in forgiving and moving on in America.

I was already thinking the same thing, even before he made these comments.

Pratt =/= all of Canada

He's obviously just doing his job, which is to get as much dirt as he can on certain topics.

I'm pretty sure everyone can tell you that Canadian's are probably the most sympathetic and apologetic people in this world...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#81 22Sedinery33

22Sedinery33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

If it was an honest mistake, who cares.
Posted Image

#82 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Pratt =/= all of Canada

He's obviously just doing his job, which is to get as much dirt as he can on certain topics.

I'm pretty sure everyone can tell you that Canadian's are probably the most sympathetic and apologetic people in this world...

The whole point was that there is no need to "get dirt" on the subject several years after the offender has finished serving his sentence, paid his debt to society and re established himself as a contributing member of his community.

#83 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

People, it's just a word. Why are we all getting worked up over a damn word.

#84 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

What do you think of the term, "Chinaman"? Is it as bad as Chink? Sometimes I hear the term on old time radio (radios shows from the the 1930's and 1940's) and old b/w movies from that area. And even now I hear that term, though less frequently. One time I heard a older fellow talking on the bus calling his doctor a "Chinaman".

#85 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

He is held to a higher standard because he's a public figure. He represents the BC Lions, while I represent only myself. How much of this idiocy do you like a no non-sense guy like Wally Buono is going to put up with?

My stance all along has been he's ignorant and should stay off Twitter. No where did I say he's a racist.

Your comment about what Jesus said holds about as much water as me saying "Was it Fred Flintsone who said Yabba Dabba Doo?"

#86 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

wasn't an argument, It was a question. I thought maybe one of the mods might answer.

Now the question becomes why are all those offensive terms not censored but the N word is?

Edited by hockeyville88, 19 October 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#87 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

wasn't an argument, It was a question. I thought maybe one of the mods might answer.

Now the question becomes why are all those offensive terms not censored but the N word is?

(Joke alert) .. Because the Head Mod is black? .. (joke alert) ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#88 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Strong understanding of history ITT. Genocides start with words and end with violence.
Posted Image

#89 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Strong understanding of history ITT. Genocides start with words and end with violence.

That is quite a generalization .. I guess they were never taught the old "sticks and stones" lesson? ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#90 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Edited by Jai604, 19 October 2012 - 01:50 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.