102 replies to this topic

#91 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:50 AM

Get off your high horse. If I put you on a lie detector and asked if u have ever used the word " chink" or "n****er" I bet u fail.

Like I said in my earlier post, having lived, gone to school and worked in the US I completely believe Kalif did not use the word chink in a racist manner. He comes from a culture where the word chink is not considered racist.

I asked u if u have even read Kalif Mitchell's tweets.

Edit to answer ur question people in his community use the word chink as a shorter version of the word a Chinese person.

Again he apologized immediately on twitter in the middle of the conversation he used this word in He explained he was unaware it's considered racist.

I don't even think we're arguing about the same thing. The term he used, is a racial slur. And I don't he's justified in using it because everyone in his community uses it. That's really a poor excuse.

He can figure it out, right? Clearly it's not the proper terminology for it, and feigning ignorance is a weak play.

RIP LB RR PD

#92 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

People, it's just a word. Why are we all getting worked up over a damn word.

They conveniently ignore the historical connotations associated with the slurs, it's kinda what helps separate them in terms of severity.

#93 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

What a dumbsky!!! Lack of education yeah right!! My guess is he is on his way out after this season if not sooner, his teammates are holding him accountable in the room, I would like to be the fly on the wall to listen in on that conversation between everyone.

#94 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

I bet no one thinks the word "flash" is racist. But it is. Do u know what the word " flash" means? Ask a Fijian guy hell say it's racist, ask 99% of CDC they don't know what it means.

From my life experience I have no doubt Kalif does not think of the word he used as racist. It's just a word people use in the community he grew up in. It's a racist word in the community u grew up in.

Tell me have u read his Twitter posts u are talking about ?

I was born in Fiji and I have no idea what you're talking about. I even just asked my parent and they looked at me with blank stares.

#95 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Question to CDC.

Is it racist to call a brown guy Hindu?

I don't know about racist but it is offensive if the person isn't a Hindu. I'd think less of you just because you would seem to generalize all brown people under one religion which is incredibly ignorant.

#96 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

To the people saying "It's just a word", think of it in this context:

The F word is just a word, but now I dare you to go tell your grandma to F off. Go ahead, its just a word. You're not going to because its disrespectful.

I'm a white male, you can call me cracker, you can call me whitey, you can call my Whitey McCracker, and I'm ok with it. The history of oppression is simply not there. I am not ok with you calling a Chinese person the c word. I am not ok with you calling a black person the n word. These are oppressive terms used to bring people down. The language being thrown around this thread is out of hand. If it's no big deal because its "just a word", then it should be no big deal to find a more acceptable word to use.

Edited by Biznow, 19 October 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Posted Image~Biznow

#97 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,456 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

To the people saying "It's just a word", think of it in this context:

The F word is just a word, but now I dare you to go tell your grandma to F off. Go ahead, its just a word. You're not going to because its disrespectful.

I'm a white male, you can call me cracker, you can call me whitey, you can call my Whitey McCracker, and I'm ok with it. The history of oppression is simply not there. I am not ok with you calling a Chinese person the c word. I am not ok with you calling a black person the n word. These are oppressive terms used to bring people down. The language being thrown around this thread is out of hand. If it's no big deal because its "just a word", then it should be no big deal to find a more acceptable word to use.

The English oppressed the Scots for ages .. is it acceptable to call a Scot an "oatmeal savage"? .. a "haggistani"? .. a "caber tosser"? .. a "porridge wog"? .. a "sheep shagger"? .. or my all time favorite .. a "thistle arse"? .. just curious, as "racist" terms are so endless ..

Personally it cracks me up when someone mocks my "nationality" .. anyone who has to resort to a "racist" comment to try and "put someone in their place socially" is just not worth paying attention too IMO .. consider the source, says I ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#98 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

The English oppressed the Scots for ages .. is it acceptable to call a Scot an "oatmeal savage"? .. a "haggistani"? .. a "caber tosser"? .. a "porridge wog"? .. a "sheep shagger"? .. or my all time favorite .. a "thistle arse"? .. just curious, as "racist" terms are so endless ..

Personally it cracks me up when someone mocks my "nationality" .. anyone who has to resort to a "racist" comment to try and "put someone in their place socially" is just not worth paying attention too IMO .. consider the source, says I ..

No, it is not acceptable IMO. And I couldn't agree more when you say that these people are not worth paying attention to. The problem is there are young moldable minds who aren't quite ready to make that distinction.

Edited by Biznow, 19 October 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Posted Image~Biznow

#99 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

And similar to Yunel Escobar's defence of a gay slur he wrote on his eye-black, Khalif Mitchell claims that he didn't know that what he tweeted was considered a racist slur.

Honestly, either these athletes are ignorant, are defending themselves with weak excuses, or else they're just plain stupid. Not sure which one it is yet, but clearly there's more to life than being a pro athlete. Just because they live their lives in the world of pro sports it doesn't excuse them from being informed on world issues. They are still a part of the same world as the rest of us and they should be living under the same moral compass.

This is why if my kid(s) ever want to be pro-athletes I am going to make them go the college route. It's not good enough to be a dumb jock. Still gotta know about world issues and be sensitive to the situations that affect us all.

/ rant :)

LOL makes no difference, either your kid is a douche or he isn't.

Posted Image

#100 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,456 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

LOL makes no difference, either your kid is a douche or he isn't.

Let me guess .. you're a jock? .. :lol:

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#101 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Get off your high horse. If I put you on a lie detector and asked if u have ever used the word " chink" or "n****er" I bet u fail.

Like I said in my earlier post, having lived, gone to school and worked in the US I completely believe Kalif did not use the word chink in a racist manner. He comes from a culture where the word chink is not considered racist.

I asked u if u have even read Kalif Mitchell's tweets.

Edit to answer ur question people in his community use the word chink as a shorter version of the word a Chinese person.

Again he apologized immediately on twitter in the middle of the conversation he used this word in He explained he was unaware it's considered racist.

I'd disregard the lie detector -- those things suck.

Having been married to a Chinese woman for many years now, I've never heard of "chink" being used as simply a shorter version of Chinese person outside a derogatory context that surrounds this word's description of their eyes.

I do agree that people will say terms in their own circles, often liberally, what people describe as racist or offensive, and more often than not I laugh at them because people get their panties in a wad too easily over words themselves, whereas I focus on intent, but it's very hard to feign ignorance about what chink means when directly calling an Asian person that. Should someone stumble over the chair and mutter "chink", I'd likely laugh, if they went up to my wife and called her "chink", they'd get a fist in the mouth. This football player, what he said was pretty ambiguous and directed to no one in particular besides China perhaps, but like I said, ambiguous.. he apologised.. don't see why I should fill up my cup of care on the matter.

Edited by zaibatsu, 20 October 2012 - 12:10 AM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#102 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

As many have already pointed out, I find it interesting and somewhat hypocritical when people have no issues typing out "chink" in their posts while censoring "n*****." It just demonstrates that there certain degrees of acceptable racism in society despite many people's claims that they aren't racist and/or socially ignorant. The only way for a word to disappear is for it to stop being used.

#103 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,456 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

As many have already pointed out, I find it interesting and somewhat hypocritical when people have no issues typing out "chink" in their posts while censoring "n*****." It just demonstrates that there certain degrees of acceptable racism in society despite many people's claims that they aren't racist and/or socially ignorant. The only way for a word to disappear is for it to stop being used.

Ah but then such words become more than the sum of their parts .. we will have a NEW 5'letter "C" word .. :towel:

Edited by Tearloch7, 20 October 2012 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.