The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where would the nhl offer leave us?

J.I.A.H.N

From what I am getting out of the NHL offer, this means the Canucks who have the 3rd highest payroll, would really have to come down.

Now with Edler, Luongo and Ballard all costing, in some way or another. It leaves me to believe that we will loose assests with no real return.

Now maybe Edler becomes worth less around the league, but maybe more than the Canucks can afford

so GM.s will be able to Cherry Pick regarless of what the UFA age is.

Same as Luongo, as many people have said, his value was not going to be high, well it probably will be lower, if we can even trade him.......yes the length of contract really does get in the way now!

Ballard, well can we afford to pay him even 3 million to sit in the #5 or 6 spot? What will his value be now? Do we just not resign him?

My bet is over the next 2 to 3 years there will be alot of very good talent cut loose because of attempts to balance the salary cap.

This will leave young teams, such as Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Columbus in a fantastic position to pick up good talent which will simply just not be resigned by their origanal club.

The stronger clubs will suffer............IF 59 million is the Cap down the road, look at the juggling we will be doing just to meet that.

I know it is early, and the final contract may not be as bad, but it will not help the Canucks.

Correct me if I am wrong! Maybe I just don't get it!

Won't affect a thing in terms of trade value.

If Lou retires early now (if this proposal floats, which it won't), we eat the cap hit even if we trade him. But if he retired without this new quirk, his salary came off the acquiring teams cap because he retired anyway. It makes no difference to them, only to us. Teams will still value him based on their needs.

Sure everyone knows we probably have to trade Lou. But we have at least a year to do it. Pittsburgh still managed a reasonable haul from Staal and they had only ONE team to approach.

It absolutely won't impact a thing regarding Edler or Ballard trades. Edler is a UFA next year, and I doubt he is being traded. We can spend $70 mill this year, though it will impact re-signing him. It certainly won't affect Ballard. We did not sign him. If anything, there is a small chance it could help? I doubt he retires before his $4.2 contract expires; but that's only 3 years from now and he's not that old.

Somebody call the panic farm!

From what I am getting out of the NHL offer, this means the Canucks who have the 3rd highest payroll, would really have to come down.

Now with Edler, Luongo and Ballard all costing, in some way or another. It leaves me to believe that we will loose assests with no real return.

Now maybe Edler becomes worth less around the league, but maybe more than the Canucks can afford

so GM.s will be able to Cherry Pick regarless of what the UFA age is.

Same as Luongo, as many people have said, his value was not going to be high, well it probably will be lower, if we can even trade him.......yes the length of contract really does get in the way now!

Ballard, well can we afford to pay him even 3 million to sit in the #5 or 6 spot? What will his value be now? Do we just not resign him?

My bet is over the next 2 to 3 years there will be alot of very good talent cut loose because of attempts to balance the salary cap.

This will leave young teams, such as Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Columbus in a fantastic position to pick up good talent which will simply just not be resigned by their origanal club.

The stronger clubs will suffer............IF 59 million is the Cap down the road, look at the juggling we will be doing just to meet that.

I know it is early, and the final contract may not be as bad, but it will not help the Canucks.

Correct me if I am wrong! Maybe I just don't get it!

Yes, I did already have that, but.............even if we can have 70 mil for next year, do the math and figure out how we get down to 59 mil in one year with out having some really big fire sales, and if that is to be, then don't you think other GM's are just waiting until that happens to us and the other cap to the max spenders.............it probably only helps BB because he has such a crappy team for what he is paying for and his excuse is, yes I had to cut to get to the new 59 million cap.

My concerns is it takes years to build a strong talent base, and we will have to get rid of some of it in a year to satisfy the new cap.

What would piss me off is that teams like Edmonton that have a relatively young team, could then go around and cherry pick, those that needed to be moved, it would force team that have strong 3rd and 4th lines to use more entry level players, there weakening our team.

Do you honestly think that an opposing GM will give you top dollar knowing that you have to dump salary? The sky is not falling, but this will put the players in a distinct disadvantange when negociating thier new contracts.......therfore I would not sign the new CBA...so enjoy the Baseball and NFL for awhile cause unless something reallt big happens,,,,we are not going to be watching NHL hockey soon.

I think that Bettman and the owners have strategically done well by making this deal public. I don't know about anybody else, but i am pretty pissed at the players for declining this offer. Now the players seem like the greedy ones unwilling to compromise. Why did they decline, they could take the 50/50 deal and end the lockout while ironing out the small things during the season.

I think that Bettman and the owners have strategically done well by making this deal public. I don't know about anybody else, but i am pretty pissed at the players for declining this offer. Now the players seem like the greedy ones unwilling to compromise. Why did they decline, they could take the 50/50 deal and end the lockout while ironing out the small things during the season.

Thank you. Feel free to use it and spread the word!

Our wallets are truly the only voice we have and if we don't let the NHL & NHLPA know that we can't be taken for granted and just assumed to be running back with handfuls of cash after work stoppages while rich people fight over obscene amounts of the money we gave them, we will lose even more of the game we love every time the CBA expires.

I think that Bettman and the owners have strategically done well by making this deal public. I don't know about anybody else, but  i am pretty pissed at the players for declining this offer. Now the players seem like the greedy ones unwilling to compromise. Why did they decline, they could take the 50/50 deal and end the lockout while ironing out the small things during the season.

Ummm ok guys. I know the lack of hockey is making some of us insane, but for starters, we don't have to trade anybody. The reduction in cap is = the reduction in salary. So if we are at the cap now, when the NHL's proposal hits 59 million, we are only paying 59 million because we are paying all the players 11 million less overall. Get it?

And here is the beautiful part: For the first year a team can go over up to 70.2 million on the transition year! Now for most teams this is just a cushion to allow movement of players. For the very wealthy Canucks, this gives us a chance to grab some big ticket players for a rush to the cup! Think about it, we would have all players making 14% less in the league, and we would have over 11 million left in cap space! Of course this is only for one year, but it may be enough to get us those few star players for one year to get a cup.

Yes everyone's salary goes down, but Bobby Luo's contract doesn't sound as bad when his cap turns to 4.7 million. If we are on the hook for his salary when he retires under the NHL proposed CBA, he just became the best deal in the world and easily worth multiple star players. Also is included a deal where when traded the original team can keep some of the salary towards their cap. This will make moving big contract players much easier.

Archived