The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Planning to Expand to 32 Teams? (Article)

SOB for MVP

How many times have you heard a coach get a complete vote of confidence from the GM right before the coach gets fired?

Just because they deny it, doesn't mean there isn't any substance to the rumour.

It kind of makes sense in a few ways. Owners would be happy for the expansion revenue. The PA would be happy for all the extra NHL level jobs (there would probably be a couple more AHL teams pop up too). It would also make their division realignment work with 4 even divisions.

I would have preferred to see a couple of teams move and couple of teams fold, but since it looks like that isn't going to happen, expansion wouldn't surprise me at all.

How many players would we be able to protect?

I mean there is the obvious in Kesler, Sedin, Sedin, Schneider, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler but I worry that a guy like Burrows might get plucked from one of these teams because we wouldn't be able to protect him.

Expanding the league seems counter intuitive. Owners right now are complaining about low profits, something remedied by cutting costs, not trying to float new market teams. Move the Southern market teams that are doing the worst, there is your new profit margin. This entire proposition seems like speculation right now so I'm not going to read too much into it.

living in Windsor and traveling around between London and Hamilton I think expandng in a city that is not a suburb of TO would be benificial as it reaches more fans. Put a team in Kitchener or London and people from Windsor to Niagra would buy season tickets faster than Winnipeg did.

Another loser franchise.

And that's another thing about NHL expansion. You allow more plugs like John Scott to be employed over kids who are better and more deserving. This guy has been getting a free pass for years now. His career should have ended after college. Me, personally, I don't really care. But as a player in the AHL for example, I would be pissed that this guy is getting the chance to play over me.

Agreed 32 teams will just make the overall talent pool much worse, athough I don't really see your point about how more NHL franchises would be a bad thing for kids in the AHL. Personally I would rather see relocation over expansion. Quebec City, Seatle, Kansas City and Hamilton/Toronto all deserve an NHL franchise.

Is expansion really feasible for the league? As much as I would love to see Seattle and Quebec City with a team,I would think

that wouldn't really be an option considering the few teams that already have financial issues and leaving relocation

as the only means if the league wanted a franchise in these or other cities. But that's what I (think) and this might be why I don't

work in the business of hockey.

Archived