Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special Ed

Air Canada flight out of Vancouver finds yacht

19 posts in this topic

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/18/flyover-mission-passing-air-canada-flight-helps-rescue-stranded-australian-yacht/

Sitting in a cramped airline seat for almost 14 hours is mind-numbing, but a spontaneous search-and-rescue mission certainly has the power to break up the monotony of the same in-flight movie playing on loop.

An Air Canada flight from Vancouver was nearing its Sydney destination after what seemed to be a routine 16-hour flight from Vancouver when it received a call from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Tuesday morning asking for help. The marine agency had just received a distress call about 275 miles off the Sydney coast, where the Boeing 777 plane happened to be passing through en route to its final destination.

The pilots aboard Flight 33 decided that they had enough fuel to assist in the search, enlisting the help of crew and passengers to search for the origin of the distress call. Captain Andrew Robertson, who was piloting the plane, dropped the aircraft from its 34,000-foot cruising altitude down to 4,000 feet, asking passengers to look closely at the choppy sea less than a mile below.“As we approached the area, I made a PA announcement to the passengers, you know, ‘Please help us look, if you see anything …’ because it’s very difficult to find anything down 5,000 feet,” Robertson told the Telegraph.

Glenn Ey, a 44-year-old man from Queensland, Australia, had been sailing on the Pacific Ocean for two weeks when he got ensnared in a storm. A giant wave crippled his mast, and his efforts to reach less-choppy seas emptied his gas tank. After nine days of drifting, attempting he realized there was little hope of making it back to land on his own. “I couldn’t see any evidence of Sydney, and I had no idea of my exact position, and it was at that point I set off the emergency position indicator radio beacon,” Ey told CNN. The signal is meant to alert ground-based rescue authorities of a stranded boater’s position — surely Ey never expected to be found from above, by a passenger jet. But he couldn’t argue with their speed: from his initial emergency signal to when he was found, a mere 25 minutes had elapsed.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/18/flyover-mission-passing-air-canada-flight-helps-rescue-stranded-australian-yacht/#ixzz29h4AJqpd

WestJet would've found the guy, and then arrived at the airport 10 minutes early. All with excellent customer service.

Seriously though, that's pretty awesome. Remarkable world we live in where an airline flight can help rescue a man who put out a distress signal in under half an hour. Good on them.

That's why I only fly with Air Canada. Awesome story and would make the flight exciting.

yeah. could be the next Air Canada slogan:

"Air Canada with you everywhere. even if you aren´t flying with us"

I was so excited when I read that on People.com!

Woo hoo good job passengers

Glenn Ey, a 44-year-old man from Queensland, Australia

Bummer, I wanted to read about some epic expenditure to rescue the guy off his yacht, Oh well good on them

yeah. could be the next Air Canada slogan:

"Air Canada with you everywhere. even if you aren´t flying with us"

If I was on the plane Im not sure I'd be comfortable with the pilot dropping to 4k feet from cruising altitude to look for a yacht.

It's probably not dangerous but there has to be some sort of increased risk of something going wrong. Even if the risk only goes up by a fraction of a percentage point I wouldn't like it.

If I was on the plane Im not sure I'd be comfortable with the pilot dropping to 4k feet from cruising altitude to look for a yacht.

It's probably not dangerous but there has to be some sort of increased risk of something going wrong. Even if the risk only goes up by a fraction of a percentage point I wouldn't like it.

AC can find a lost yacht, but they can't find lost passenger luggage.

</joke>

Awesome to read. Good, quick initiative by the pilots, glad to see the passengers chipped in! A feel good story if there ever was one.

</joke>

WestJet would've found the guy, and then arrived at the airport 10 minutes early. All with excellent customer service.

Seriously though, that's pretty awesome. Remarkable world we live in where an airline flight can help rescue a man who put out a distress signal in under half an hour. Good on them.

</joke>

1st rule of flying: don't check luggage

2nd rule of flying: learn to pack everything into your 2 carry-ons