The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Players build your own league!

J.I.A.H.N

No they can not unless they have a legal reason.......have you heard of discrimination........there has to be a reason...that is one of the reasons Shaw and Rogers can use the BC Tel lines to carry their service....then directly conpete with...BC Tel

And exactly where would the NHL teams after black listing these NHL Arenas you are talking about play their games and in what markets.......Maybe Columbus can use 2 teams????? Do they have 2 Arenas??? I wouldn't be worrying about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back to this post. First off, Thanks for the imput, the last couple of posts have enlightened me to say the least. Don't mind being corrected, and I don't mind learning, so sincerely thanks. You know, I am just a frustrated hockey fan, with too much time, and not liking it.

My belief is that the owners are more wrong than the players, mostly because they are the ones that have created this mess, by over bidding for talent, big contracts, long contracts etc. The fact that right up until July 1st they were still signing players to these contracts, just infuriates me!

I guess my point about the players forming a league, is that they could, and if they could get most of the stars and mid talented players to come along, then the product they would put on the ice would be superior to that of what the NHL could put out. This would devalue the NHL clubs and that would serve them right!

I know a few pro players and several of them are in farm systems and work for peanuts, in not so glamous places, and I would not trade it for my life, but they are following dreams for the most part and if they get to the NHL, most will be there only for a short time, and they will be on entry level contract while up in the big leagues, so I would like them to get all they can, because they have put in the time. Some of these kids have been away from home since they were 12 to 14 years old, most by 16 or 17.

To sign a pro contract, then have it devalued just seems wrong........But on the other hand the players and agents should be well aware how the master contract can affect their contracts........hense the position they are in now......what a frigin mess!

Never going to happen. As others have pointed out, the logistics and initial startup costs are prohibitive. Plus, they probably just don't want to. Who would? I've long thought the poor sobs who have to schedule all of those games each season (taking into account other events at each arena, other major events that might compete for TV time, teams' travel time, number and times of other NHL games going on, etc.) have the crappiest job in the NHL.

Both sides need to realize that they need each other equally. The players need the league and owners for the infrastructure in which they thrive, and the owners and league need the players as the generators of revenue. And they BOTH need to realize that the fans are what ties them together and makes the whole thing work.

It's time for fans to stop being the silent partner and demand they get this freaking deal done!

Beyond all the reasons already listed as to why a player-owned startup league wouldn't work the main reason is the fans.

I am a Canuck fan, not a player fan. I was a Canuck fan before they traded away Trevor Linden and didn't become an Islander fan after they traded him away, although he was my favorite player. I didn't become a Pather fan after the Bure trade, I didn't become a Ranger fan when Naslund signed with them. Infact I didn't stop watching the Canucks after many of my favorite players changed teams or stopped playing altogether.

If all the NHL players decided to stop playing for the NHL and the NHL got all new players I would still watch the Canucks because I am a Canuck fan. I became fans of the players because they became Canucks and not a Canuck fan because of the players.

These NHL players need to realize that without the NHL and the teams they would never have become rich and famous and yet they are willing to play hockey for different leagues and different teams for a fraction of what they get in the NHL.

If they are willing to play for 2 million in the KHL they should be happy to play for that in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong I don't think the owners are angels who have done no wrong I just thing that the NHLPA is run by a guy who really is still learning his job. I think the players contracts are ridiculous and yes it is the owners that signed them to it but they also realize now they need to stop the bleeding.

I tweeted Jeromy Roenick about this. said why dont players start their own league they could all be owners and take 100% of revenue in salary.

F the NHLPA. I hope they cancel the season so most of these A holes lose a whole years pay lose a year of their carerr and get 1 year closer to being slower and fatter. douches.

If all the NHL players decided to stop playing for the NHL and the NHL got all new players I would still watch the Canucks because I am a Canuck fan. I became fans of the players because they became Canucks and not a Canuck fan because of the players.

The main problem as I see it is who is right?

If it is the players, then the fans should be doing more to support them. There is no point fans sitting on the sidelines and expecting the players to set up a completely new league owned by them. It is impracticable.

There is a way however but it requires commitment by the fans.

How many hockey fans are there worldwide who would buy shares in a new league?..........how much could the players put in and how much from a tv company for exclusive rights for 5 years?

If that is too difficult to accomplish then a player, player/fan league will never happen.

One other thing........merchandise. Who owns the names? I take it that the owners have all rights, therefore it would be new names and possibly new cities and venues.

I suppose if this new player/fan league was formed and they had the money, there would be nothing stopping them from buying the AHL, teams and venues, assuming the owners had a price.

Archived