The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SFU yet again proves it is a joke

canuckbeliever

SFU has been fighting the TA's/Tm'S at SFU for a while now. Currently the TA's are without a contract and today they decided it was time to take some job action. As of today, TA's will not be reporting the marks they grade for students to students. So that means that all of the papers, mid terms, assignments or what have you students do will not have there marks reported to students.

As someone who wants to go to law school and for whom every grade matters I find this pathetic. It is crucial for most students to know what they got in terms of grades so they know how hard to work and in general know how well they are doing so they can focus more on certain classes accordingly. Due to SFU being cheap, I am now forced to have my grades held salvage until the morons running SFU decided it is time to pay the TA's/TM's.

For a university that prides itself in being world class, it is BS like this that constantly tells the world it is nowhere near world class. Our tuition constantly goes up yet basic necessities such as this which affect a significant number of students are not met. Yet again SFU shows that like every institution all it is concerned about is money.

Here is the Vancouver Sun article on it

After two years of contract talks, Simon Fraser University's Teaching Support Staff Union (TSSU) has vowed to ban overtime work.

The union issued the notice at 3 p.m. Thursday after 90 per cent of its members voted for ban on overtime starting Monday as the first step of job action.

“On average each student has 22 perc ent of their courses delivered by TSSU Sessional Instructors. These Adjunct Faculty, although highly qualified, have no seniority rights, minimal benefits, and are paid less than half of what a lecturer is paid for the same work,” said union spokesman Derek Sahota in a news release. “Many of our members are denied access to work opportunities due to antiquated posting and awarding rules that fail to support the interdisciplinary nature of SFU’s programs.”

“Our distance teachers are covered by language and pay formulas that arose prior to the use of email and other web tools,” he added. “Our fulltime continuing Instructors at Harbour Centre are denied the basic benefits that SFU provides to all other continuing employees.”

The union says most of its members are graduate students who make total of $18,000 a year on average, of which they spend about $6,000 on tuition.

As an SFU student I'm affected by this as well, but to say your marks determine how hard you work is backwards.

It definitely will have an impact on me as I'm taking a course taught and completely run by those in the strike and the class is vital to my future major, but all I can do is work hard and hope I get a good enough grade to get credit for the class and move on in my education.

As an SFU student I'm affected by this as well, but to say your marks determine how hard you work is backwards.

It definitely will have an impact on me as I'm taking a course taught and completely run by those in the strike and the class is vital to my future major, but all I can do is work hard and hope I get a good enough grade to get credit for the class and move on in my education.

Not particularly. I am taking 5 courses and you have to pick and choose where you spend major chunks of your time. It is a balancing act. You do really good on a mid term here then you know you can relax a bit in the class and put that extra effort in another class. If you do not get the great mark you wanted then you know you gotta pick up the pace here. I know a lot of students who are taking 5 courses and are also pissed off because it effects the balancing act that is required.

The sessional instructors I find are usually among the best I've had. The tenured/faculty members, while very bright in their field, are the worst teachers ever.

I must point out. It's not like they're not marking anything. Assignments and exams are still being marked. The marks will be submitted to the union and once everything is resolved, the union will forward the marks to the university.

SFU has been fighting the TA's/Tm'S at SFU for a while now. Currently the TA's are without a contract and today they decided it was time to take some job action. As of today, TA's will not be reporting the marks they grade for students to students. So that means that all of the papers, mid terms, assignments or what have you students do will not have there marks reported to students.

As someone who wants to go to law school and for whom every grade matters I find this pathetic. It is crucial for most students to know what they got in terms of grades so they know how hard to work and in general know how well they are doing so they can focus more on certain classes accordingly. Due to SFU being cheap, I am now forced to have my grades held salvage until the morons running SFU decided it is time to pay the TA's/TM's.

For a university that prides itself in being world class, it is BS like this that constantly tells the world it is nowhere near world class. Our tuition constantly goes up yet basic necessities such as this which affect a significant number of students are not met. Yet again SFU shows that like every institution all it is concerned about is money.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz29imDQVrK

Yes but that is general at best. Also for someone who has to write a lot of essays it is tough to tell whether you did well or not. This is due to the subjective element of essays.

Anyone who has a class that is based on significant amount of writing is screwed in terms of knowing there grade.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz29imDQVrK

Archived