Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

SFU yet again proves it is a joke

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
109 replies to this topic

#91 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

as a former TA...I do not agree with this. TA's make quite a lot of money.

That being said...email the president of SFU and i think he will eventually buckle under the pressure and give the TSSU a raise.

If you don't mind me asking, about how much do TA's make? I've always wondered but it'd be rude to actually ask a TA in person.

sig by Malkin71

#92 AvEnGeD7FoLd

AvEnGeD7FoLd

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I didnt have class today. Can someone that went up today give me an update?

#93 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,870 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I didnt have class today. Can someone that went up today give me an update?

the main bus stop was picketed, so buses had to use the other 2 on campus. apparently it was pretty heated this morning, but when I went to class at 10 30 there was only one guy, just moping around but I was coming from rez, not the bus

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#94 Danucks

Danucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Pretty sure after this video goes viral or already it has, they're gonna lose a lot more support from the undergraduates. Of all professors, it's Tony who is probably one of the nicest guys and a good prof (Kin 143).

Edited by Danucks, 08 November 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#95 avirji

avirji

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNOXX9ybZg&feature=youtu.be

Pretty sure after this video goes viral or already it has, they're gonna lose a lot more support from the undergraduates. Of all professors, it's Tony who is probably one of the nicest guys and a good prof (Kin 143).

It has definitely gone viral. I just saw it from a tweet by someone I follow, and that was about 15 minutes ago when the 'dislikes' were at 330... now it's at 446. Social media is scary, and this guy is going to wish he never did this soon.

I'm on the fence about the TSSU though. They've got a point, but starting crap like this isn't going to help their cause, especially when I haven't received a single grade from one of my classes, with both assignments totaling to 50% of my grade.

However, there will always be the nutcases in any union/organization that make everyone look bad (i.e. RCMP). For the most part, the TSSU pickets have been fairly peaceful. But posting stuff like this will make them looked down on by the university and students alike.

#96 Taelin

Taelin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

What little respect for TSSU I have is now long gone. There's even been dissent within the union about this strike; I have a TA who is very against this.

#97 Taelin

Taelin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

And Mr. Scab hides his video. It's been on the internet long enough; people are going to upload it.

#98 avirji

avirji

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Well it's down now :P. Talk about backfire.

#99 Taelin

Taelin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

Well it's down now :P. Talk about backfire.

Well, this guy is going to re-upload it, once he gets the permission from Leyland.

#100 Taelin

Taelin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

The video's back, with a different name!

#101 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

The video appears to be private, so here's another one:

Solidarity with Sr. lecturer Tony Leyland. What exactly are the unions blocking - some piece of paved land? Their quarrel is with the university admin, not to faculty members or members of the general public looking for parking. Its a shame these union heads are imbeciles who want a mile but can't work for it.

Edited by Common sense, 09 November 2012 - 01:56 AM.

#102 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Someone told me TA's make around 35 dollars per hour, could be wrong though.
Posted Image

#103 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

all those videos were deleted/blocked/made private. What happened in them?

#104 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

As a member of TSSU, I fully support Tony Leyland. My girlfriend was harassed by TSSU on her way to class. A fellow PhD student had TSSU member jump onto his car to prevent him from pulling into C Lot. Their actions are just embarrassing and indicate how un-informed TSSU members are about what is legal behaviour during a strike is, and what is not.

I have been a member of TSSU since 2009. I have never complained about my pay. TAing is not supposed to be a full time job. I work two other research jobs on the side. I have been smart with my money and have no problems getting by. I live in a great apartment, have a car, eat out, and get to experience all the basic life necessities. For those jobs, one of which I began in 2007, I worked my way up and am now Project Director. I work between 60-70 hours a week, and enjoy every one of them. At least half of those hours are spent doing something that I don't just simply enjoy, but something I have a true passion for and have a lot of fun doing.

I empathize with students and others who are unhappy about the strike. I told my students that, by withholding their grades, TSSU was using them as pawns and that I completely disagreed with what TSSU was doing (however, I still have not released any grades out of fear that TSSU will fine me).

If you become a TA for the money, you are an idiot. I consider TAing to be part of my educational experience, and a position that will help me get a faculty position at another university in the future. Two of my tutorials on Wednesday were cancelled. Despite voting against the picket line, I cancelled my tutorials, again because of coercion/extortion by TSSU. However, because I consider TAing part of my educational experience, I held 'additional' office hours on Tuesday where I went through the tutorial I had planned to give students on Wednesday. I also allowed students from my Wednesday tutorials to sit in on my Tuesday tutorials so that they would not miss anything.

Bottom line, if anyone wants to bash TSSU, I completely understand your frustration. However, when it comes to individual TAs and Sessional Instructors, keep in mind that there are dozens of other TAs and Sessional Instructors like myself who voted against the use of picket lines.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#105 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Some dickwad is posting this up at SFU:

Posted Image

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#106 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,870 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

^

wow, this is getting out of control

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#107 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Where at exactly? I hope people tear them down, I know I will if I see one.

#108 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

^

wow, this is getting out of control

Typical for university protesters. You should see the crap UBC people have to put up with.

#109 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Where at exactly? I hope people tear them down, I know I will if I see one.

I haven't seen any. I was referred to the photo by a Facebook link. I doubt they will last long. I'm not a Kinesiology student, but my friends tell me he is quite a popular lecturer and undoubtedly his students will stand up for him (and rightfully so).

#110 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

These people that are striking, especially in that video, think they have the power to do anything. Fact is, they don't. They're causing issues all across campus and the video just shows what a joke the people that are picketing/striking really are. Kudos to those TAs who don't agree with what's going on, pretty much all my TAs don't agree with this strike and aren't involved with it at all, and to the TAs who are whining and complaining, I hope I never have you as my TA.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.