The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Dion Phaneuf to the Blues

I think that within the Blues' defensive system employed by Ken Hitchcock, someone like Dion Phaneuf could shed his label as a defensive liability that he acquired in Toronto, and the Blues could get the big, physical, left-side partner for Alex Pietrangelo.

In Toronto he was labelled as a poor defender, but the bigger problem was the Leafs' incompetent goal-tending and the fact that in earlier seasons he played with Keith Aulie and Luke Schenn, guys who couldn't quite single-handedly deliver the defensive performance necessary cover his mistakes and ultimately keep pucks from going into the Leafs' net. Would Toronto be interested in a return such as 1B goalie Brian Elliott, a young, tough D prospect like Ian Cole or even a young, skilled center like Patrik Berglund who could be in their Top 6, as parts of the package in return? (The Blues have guys like Steen and MacDonald who can swing over to center, and then guys like Schwartz would get the playing time they need as well).

The fact that the Blues have Jaro Halak in net, an overall team philosophy of defensive emphasis and the swift-skating, two-way Alex Pietrangelo as his partner on most shifts (both guys can play both PP and PK and also log 1st pairing minutes, as they have with their respective teams) will better cover for his mistakes. Also, frankly Dion has also faced high level competition in most of his match-ups during his time with the Leafs, so with a competent partner like Alex he should also benefit, in ways like how Dan Hamhuis can cover for Kevin Bieksa (not that Alex is strictly a shutdown defenseman but he's strong defensively and should be good enough to complement the roaming Phaneuf). Dion should also help complete the young group that already exists in St. Louis and better equip it to compete for Cups as the forward group continues to gel.

Would there be incentive for both teams to pull the trigger?

(I think that someone who's underrated defensively could be of interest, and I am also simultaneously considering someone like Nik Hjalmarsson who could be a lower price alternative for the Blues, though the main issue is that Nik is not a top-pairing defender whereas Dion has been throughout his career).

TO already has terrible D, can they really afford to lose Phaneuf?

Though a deal involving Elliott, Berglund, and a prospect would be interesting to the Leafs. Might have to add a Dman to get Burke to pull the trigger.

Berglund, Steen, Stewart and a first.

Is your middle name Milbury? :rolleyes:

/user/85848-steven-stamkos-mullet/">Steven Stamkos' Mullet

Canucks First-Line

Posted Today, 01:51 PM

I think Phaneuf would be the perfect fit for St. Louis's top 4. Maybe something like Berglund, Steen, Stewart and maybe a 1st?

Canucks First-Line

I think Phaneuf would be the perfect fit for St. Louis's top 4. Maybe something like Berglund, Steen, Stewart and maybe a 1st?

Dion is a top 2 defencemen on almost any team in the league, he sure wouldn't come cheap. Also, the fact that he is clearly Toronto's top d-man by far, his asking price would surely be quite high.

I'm not sold on Elliott, he seems like a one-year wonder at the moment. The Leafs in my opinion would rather keep him and trade for a goalie...(Luongo?)

I do like that when you make proposals; u throw something on the table that gets a deal done. It makes some of your proposals a bit out there; but it beats Ballard, Raymond and a first for ??? BB will not want to give up his captain; but he would believe he could salvage (and would crave) a truculent player like Stewart. They certainly could use Elliot, and despite not wanting to unload Dion they do need to shed salary.

But the deal breaker in the proposal from St Louis's standpoint is Berglund. They have just let Arnott walk, been all over the news (dumping Davidson for example) to save money, and I do not see trading his ELC for a big contract. And hey, a young 220 lb 3rd line centre who already has a 50 point season is probably more valuable than Phaneuf even hockey wise.

The Blue's match up capacity with big, young, fast studs like Berglund that play within the system is what Hitchcock crafted into a top team. I suggest he is almost untouchable.

Key words are 'maybe something like', which doesn't mean that exact package, but something that can start negotiations.

Canucks First-Line

Whoooa. People are really overrating Phaneuf.

The guy comes with baggage. He has had locker room problems in the past, he's bad defensively and he is probably one of the worst captains in the league.

IMO he is not a top 2 defenceman on a contender. He is a #3 who needs a sound defensive partner to play his game at his best. Unfortunately, he gets paid like a #1 or #2 defenceman.

Blues are a team who wants to get bang for their buck. Phaneuf is the opposite of bang for buck. I wouldn't bring Phaneuf on a contending team unless he knew is role was as a supporting defenceman and a suporting team leader.

Archived