The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oh, deer: Woman calls North Dakota radio station to complain about 'irresponsible' deer crossing signs

lx Birdie xl

A caller named Donna mistakenly believes deer crossing signs are for deer and not drivers. Her laughable comments go viral.

Listeners of a North Dakota radio station got a good laugh when an incensed caller complained about the government putting up deer crossing signs in high-traffic areas.

But the caller, only identified as Donna, didn’t seem to understand that such signs aren’t for deer to be told where they can cross but rather for drivers to see it’s an area rampant with the woodland creatures.

“I’ve even seen [the signs] on the interstate,” Donna said on the Fargo-area radio station, Y94 Playhouse. “Why are we encouraging deer to cross at the interstate?”

But her questioning didn’t end there.

“It seems to me that it’s so irresponsible of us to allow these deer crossings to be in an area where these deer are so likely to be struck by oncoming traffic,” she said. “Wouldn’t you agree?”

The show’s hosts found it hard to interject seriously, realizing just how dimwitted Donna was acting.

“The government can direct the deer population anywhere they want to,” she added. “All they have to do is move that deer crossing sign.”

Audio of the woman’s deer-related diatribe was

on Oct. 8, and has been viewed more than 3.5 million times.

The caller even earned a nickname: Donna the Deer Lady.

In a follow-up call with Y94

on Wednesday, Donna thanked the station's hosts for being understanding and said she felt “incredibly stupid” after realizing her mistake.

“I mean honestly, in my defense, I had no clue these signs were for us [humans],” she said. “I never really thought about it enough to realize I was kind of being ridiculous.”

I heard this last week after working a late shift. CKNW played recordings from the day at night and this came on. I couldn't figure out if I was just that tired or if she was just that stupid.

You could hear the radio hosts trying very hard not to laugh at her after asking a few questions to try to coax her into her realizing her mistake. lol.

Archived