Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Todd Bertuzzi - Mentorship role?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

I scoured the boards and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I've been thinking about it a lot the past few days, and can't find much fault in the idea.

What do you guys think about re-acquiring Todd Bertuzzi, to play in a "mentor" role for Zack Kassian? Kass has been touted by some as "the Next Bertuzzi". The projected "Kassian-Gaunce-Jensen" line has been predicted as the "Next WCE", by some...granted, these are all very shaky predictions.

But even still, who better to mentor the "Next Bertuzzi" for the "Next WCE" than the original Todd Bertuzzi of the original WCE. With Bertuzzi we could add two things: A big body, who can score and put a bit of a scare into the other team and a guy who can mold Kassian into a more dominant, all around player. This could also solve the problem as to who will be our 2nd-3rd line RW with Raymond, Hansen etc, as Bertuzzi would almost definitely be a limited 4th line player here. To me, this move would have no downside, other than the fact that Bert could be retiring anytime soon. Thoughts?

If we were willing to take Big Bert, who would you move for him?

Have at it, CDC.

/=S=/

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

If Detroit is willing and Bert wants to come back, I'd try Ballard for him straight up.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 19 October 2012 - 01:54 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

I scoured the boards and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I've been thinking about it a lot the past few days, and can't find much fault in the idea.

What do you guys think about re-acquiring Todd Bertuzzi, to play in a "mentor" role for Zack Kassian? Kass has been touted by some as "the Next Bertuzzi". The projected "Kassian-Gaunce-Jensen" line has been predicted as the "Next WCE", by some...granted, these are all very shaky predictions.

But even still, who better to mentor the "Next Bertuzzi" for the "Next WCE" than the original Todd Bertuzzi of the original WCE. With Bertuzzi we could add two things: A big body, who can score and put a bit of a scare into the other team and a guy who can mold Kassian into a more dominant, all around player. This could also solve the problem as to who will be our 2nd-3rd line RW with Raymond, Hansen etc, as Bertuzzi would almost definitely be a limited 4th line player here. To me, this move would have no downside, other than the fact that Bert could be retiring anytime soon. Thoughts?

If we were willing to take Big Bert, who would you move for him?

Have at it, CDC.

You can't find fault with the idea of bringing Bertuzzi back to Vancouver? :picard:

Bringing in somebody to mentor Kassian is a fine idea, just not Bertuzzi.

#4 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

No.

There has only been 3 moments of being embarrassed as a Canucks fan - 1994 riot, 2011 riot and the Bertuzzi incident.
Posted Image

#5 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

You can't find fault with the idea of bringing Bertuzzi back to Vancouver? :picard:

Bringing in somebody to mentor Kassian is a fine idea, just not Bertuzzi.

Reason?

EDIT: Nevermind, everyone is going to use the "incident" as a reference.

Forgive and forget, I say :)

Edited by MaximYapierre, 19 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

/=S=/

#6 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'd like to see Big Bert back with the Canucks, but I think the pressure he'd get from the Vancouver media would be too much to handle.

Everyday he'd have to answer questions like "Do you regret the Steve Moore incident" and crap like that.

I don't see it happening.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#7 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'd love to have him back. I've forgiven him for the incident but the majority of Canucks fans haven't. I don't think Bert will ever play for the Canucks again due to the lawsuits.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#8 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

If Detroit is willing and Bert wants to come back, I'd try Ballard for him straight up.

Screw that!

Detroit would want to dump back a lot more cap than just Bertuzzi, so I would suggest they also send Franzen along., or maybe that Datsyuk fella'. I hear he's pretty good. :P

Otherwise, aside from the cap benefit that the Canucks get from this deal, what do you suggest they do with the empty spot on their top-6?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#9 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Reason?

The "incident" is the only reason this wouldn't work, otherwise it's a good idea. But the media attention would be a major distraction and negate some (if not all) of the benefit of bringing Bert back in the first place. I'm sure there are other opportunities out there of a Kassian mentor.

#10 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

With Vancouver media I don't think it's a great idea.

Just imagine, 1st game vs Colorado:

Media- "Todd, how does it feel to be back in VAN against COL after the Moore incident"

Bert- "I told you, I won't talk about that"

Media- "But how does it feel?"

Bert- "I won't answer, next question"

Media- "Do you plan on attacking anyone?"

Bert- " :picard: "

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#11 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

It is a good idea, if Bertuzzi and Detroit agree.

Some people really need to get over it. He was a great player for us, and all of his talents shouldn't be overlooked because of that incident.

We just took Cloutier back, so we can do the same for Big Bert.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#12 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Never, ever happen. Even if the fans and management want him, Bertuzzi would never come back. I'm sure he has fond memories, but "the incident" is a black mark on his career. I absolutely love Bertuzzi, but for his own well being, he would be a fool to come back.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#13 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,337 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

It is a good idea, if Bertuzzi and Detroit agree.

Some people really need to get over it. He was a great player for us, and all of his talents shouldn't be overlooked because of that incident.

We just took Cloutier back, so we can do the same for Big Bert.

Cloutier never ended anyones career aside from his own. I love Bertuzzi as much as the next guy, but having him back wouldnt work.

FWYIerW.png

#14 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'f love to have Big Bert back. He was an absolutely phenomenal player, and I bet Zack would do anything Bertuzzi tells him to do!

#15 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Get 'er done, MG!

#16 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

People think Kassian is Bertuzzi Jr. Whether or not I think the comparison is fair... is beyond the point. I doubt that kind of mentorship role will actually work.

He DOES need players that will make him a better player. The Sedins are nothing like Naslund or Sundin. Naslund adjusted his game to help the twins and Sundin was a living legend by 2009. Bertuzzi, on the other hand, will steal Kassian's job. You don't want that. If anything, get a retired power forward to help coach him.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#17 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Why not?

Both play a similar role, and it be a dream come true for Kassian playing alongside Big Bert since his favourite player growing up was Todd Bertuzzi.

Get 'er done!

307mg00.jpg

#18 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I don't think it's a big deal. Bertuzzi already played an entire year with the Canucks after the incident, plus who knows how many other times he has played in Vancouver and Colorado as member of the Ducks and Red Wings.

Maybe initially there may be a few odd questions asked, but remember, it's been like 8 years ago since the incident and Todd isn't really the same fiery guy he once was.

I think he would be a good 2nd/3rd line player with the Canucks, assuming he is still willing to play physical, but I'm not sure how well his invisible powers will sit with AV. If he wants to be with Vancouver for his chance to win the cup before he retire and will put 100%, by all means bring him back.

#19 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Reason?

How about someone ask Aquilinni? Bertuzzi is still in court hoping trying to nail the Canucks as co-defendants for the liability. Give your head a shake!

The idea sounds like pure genius... :sick: And the concept has been suggested to death before.

The "incident" is the only reason this wouldn't work, otherwise it's a good idea. But the media attention would be a major distraction and negate some (if not all) of the benefit of bringing Bert back in the first place. I'm sure there are other opportunities out there of a Kassian mentor.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 20 October 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#20 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Cloutier never ended anyones career aside from his own. I love Bertuzzi as much as the next guy, but having him back wouldnt work.

If people don't buy into everything the media says, then it could potentially work.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#21 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

I would love to bring him back. A decent pick up for a 3rd liner maybe. Give us more depth but as others have said the media will kill him. I was happy he was traded, not because he wasn't good anymore, not becasue we got Luongo (obviously was happy about that though), just because he was able to get away from Vancouver and it's media who always look at Bertuzzi and think back to the incident. It was a bad play thats for sure, I just wish it could be let go.

I do hope Bert wins the cup one day, he has found a good fit in Detroit :)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#22 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

I would love that. Only issue of course would be the media obviously.
Posted Image

#23 wally23

wally23

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Eff that aha thats a joke right there especially ballard for bert

#24 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Eff that aha thats a joke right there especially ballard for bert

Its not that funny...........
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.