The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi - Mentorship role?

I scoured the boards and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I've been thinking about it a lot the past few days, and can't find much fault in the idea.

What do you guys think about re-acquiring Todd Bertuzzi, to play in a "mentor" role for Zack Kassian? Kass has been touted by some as "the Next Bertuzzi". The projected "Kassian-Gaunce-Jensen" line has been predicted as the "Next WCE", by some...granted, these are all very shaky predictions.

But even still, who better to mentor the "Next Bertuzzi" for the "Next WCE" than the original Todd Bertuzzi of the original WCE. With Bertuzzi we could add two things: A big body, who can score and put a bit of a scare into the other team and a guy who can mold Kassian into a more dominant, all around player. This could also solve the problem as to who will be our 2nd-3rd line RW with Raymond, Hansen etc, as Bertuzzi would almost definitely be a limited 4th line player here. To me, this move would have no downside, other than the fact that Bert could be retiring anytime soon. Thoughts?

If we were willing to take Big Bert, who would you move for him?

Have at it, CDC.

I scoured the boards and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I've been thinking about it a lot the past few days, and can't find much fault in the idea.

What do you guys think about re-acquiring Todd Bertuzzi, to play in a "mentor" role for Zack Kassian? Kass has been touted by some as "the Next Bertuzzi". The projected "Kassian-Gaunce-Jensen" line has been predicted as the "Next WCE", by some...granted, these are all very shaky predictions.

But even still, who better to mentor the "Next Bertuzzi" for the "Next WCE" than the original Todd Bertuzzi of the original WCE. With Bertuzzi we could add two things: A big body, who can score and put a bit of a scare into the other team and a guy who can mold Kassian into a more dominant, all around player. This could also solve the problem as to who will be our 2nd-3rd line RW with Raymond, Hansen etc, as Bertuzzi would almost definitely be a limited 4th line player here. To me, this move would have no downside, other than the fact that Bert could be retiring anytime soon. Thoughts?

If we were willing to take Big Bert, who would you move for him?

Have at it, CDC.

I'd like to see Big Bert back with the Canucks, but I think the pressure he'd get from the Vancouver media would be too much to handle.

Everyday he'd have to answer questions like "Do you regret the Steve Moore incident" and crap like that.

I don't see it happening.

With Vancouver media I don't think it's a great idea.

Just imagine, 1st game vs Colorado:

Media- "Todd, how does it feel to be back in VAN against COL after the Moore incident"

Bert- "I told you, I won't talk about that"

Media- "But how does it feel?"

Bert- "I won't answer, next question"

Media- "Do you plan on attacking anyone?"

Bert- " :picard: "

Never, ever happen. Even if the fans and management want him, Bertuzzi would never come back. I'm sure he has fond memories, but "the incident" is a black mark on his career. I absolutely love Bertuzzi, but for his own well being, he would be a fool to come back.

People think Kassian is Bertuzzi Jr. Whether or not I think the comparison is fair... is beyond the point. I doubt that kind of mentorship role will actually work.

He DOES need players that will make him a better player. The Sedins are nothing like Naslund or Sundin. Naslund adjusted his game to help the twins and Sundin was a living legend by 2009. Bertuzzi, on the other hand, will steal Kassian's job. You don't want that. If anything, get a retired power forward to help coach him.

I don't think it's a big deal. Bertuzzi already played an entire year with the Canucks after the incident, plus who knows how many other times he has played in Vancouver and Colorado as member of the Ducks and Red Wings.

Maybe initially there may be a few odd questions asked, but remember, it's been like 8 years ago since the incident and Todd isn't really the same fiery guy he once was.

I think he would be a good 2nd/3rd line player with the Canucks, assuming he is still willing to play physical, but I'm not sure how well his invisible powers will sit with AV. If he wants to be with Vancouver for his chance to win the cup before he retire and will put 100%, by all means bring him back.

Archived