The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Bird Just Hit My Window...

SkeeterHansen

:lol:

Anyway, I left it for a while and it was still sitting out there. It tried to fly, about 20 minutes ago, but got about three feet and stopped. Hasn't tried since. I brought it some bird seed and water. If it doesn't fly away by dinnertime, I'll put him up in my bird cage (from a bird I had years ago) and try to nurse the little guy back to health :)

I have a plethora of experience dealing with injured birds from catching my cat before he would finish them off, sometimes even inside the house. There were a few occasions where

I would bring the injured bird into my home (sometimes they were already inside waiting for me) and put them in a shoe box stuffed with some paper towels. I would also put a little water for them. I think they all ended-up dying by morning except for one.

Try this number: (604) 879-7343.

This is the after-hours emergency number for the SPCA. They might be able to help you tonight but if not, they can at least give you some advice.

I called the SPCA and they told me "Take the bird to a school field or a large secluded field, leave him be, and let nature take its course."

So, the little guy is currently living in my bird cage. He's got water and food, very active but unable to flap wings. I'll keep him a week or two, see if his wing heals. If it doesnt, I'm debating keeping him, but I don't want it to get lonely. He's probably got a family somewhere, but since it's getting cold out he's sure to die outside anyways.

CDC, keep him until spring and then let him be, or let him out now to die in the cold?

Archived