The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT- Wolves vs. Heat Weekend

Ryan Murray

2 games in 2 nights and it showed...

Lack misread or overplayed a couple situations but otherwise kept a tired team in it....

Noticed Mallet despite limited playing time.

Kassian had a strong game and nice snipe.

Joslin IMO is soft, slow and coughed up the puck around the boards a ton. K conn will get sent up before this guy...

Schroeder looks like Brandon Reid 2.0. Not nhl ready and small...

Matheson, longpre and Tanev were also noticeable but that was about it.

Oh and Tim Thomas for the Heat had some physical play for a goalie.....

After watching these games I don't think Schroeder will ever make the NHL atleast for us... his hands and offensive ability aren't good enough to make up for his lack of size and he's far too small to be a checker. Who knows though.

Kassian looked sick once again.

I wish we had Baertchi.

Edit: Schroeder looks more like he's 5'6/7

I know and he's in his 3rd AHL season, this is the time where he should be more noticeable on the ice and scoresheet, but instead he gets outshined by AHL rookies like Kassian and Baertshi.

He doesnt have a skill set of St.Loui or the tenacity of Nathan Gerbe.

Here's my very amateur scouting report:

Jordan Schroeder: I don't think he was that bad, I definatley noticed him. Not many quality scoring chances though. Seemed decent enough defensively.

Kevin Connauton: Didn't really stand out to me. Seemed at bit lost in the offensive zone. Had a couple big hits along the boards, and solid defensively.

Chris Tanev: I didn't watch the first few games, so I don't know how bad he was in those. He seemed shaky in the first period, but picked it up later. Not sure what to make of his shot, if I remember, he had 2. One was the weakest professional shot I've ever seen, but it looked like it was rolling and he didn't get all of it. Second shot looked much better. Made some good plays.

Zack Kassian: Very solid game. Was making hits, nice passes, got a nice goal, and lots more chances. I didn't see much of his fight because the play was going down and I think Baertschi got nailed, but happy that he fought.

Anton Rodin: Seemed invisible. Didn't really notice him, except on the waved-off goal. He's got some nice hands though, if he can bulk up a bit and learn to finish, I could see him making it some day.

Yann Sauve: Looked alright, didn't seem to flashy. I do remember seeing him give up on a breakaway though, I think Gordon saved it a bit. Other than that, I think he was okay.

Alexander Mallet: Guy was a beast. Destroyed some guy on the boards and got a couple good punches in his fight. Looked good in his own end and was in the offense a bit.

Eddie Lack: Obviously, he could've made a better choice on the first goal. I think he could've had the second one too, but it was a bit lucky. The other 2 he didn't have much of a chance on though. He did make lots of great saves, and I think Abbotsford had 40+ shots?

On the topic of non-prospects, I though Joslin played well. Rather have him play than Alberts. Didn't notice Longpre and Sterling as much as I expected to. Nothing special about Desbiens, took some penalties, made some hits. Anyone know why Haydar and Sweatt were scratched tonight?

Also, Sven Baertschi. That is all.

A player like Schroeder is not gonna be as noticeable in tight checking games like this one because he can't crash and bang and check as well as bigger players. That's why he needs those type of players playing with him.

Watch him in a game with a more run and gun style to see his real skills.

A player like Schroeder is not gonna be as noticeable in tight checking games like this one because he can't crash and bang and check as well as bigger players. That's why he needs those type of players playing with him.

Watch him in a game with a more run and gun style to see his real skills.

arena in abbotsford is a joke, parking is a nightmare IN ABBOTSFORD and the food CHICKEN FRY FRY? what the f is that crap, honestly they wonder why they get crap crowds. couldnt even get some mayo on a burger. Pathetic wont be back that is for sure.

and to top it off some jerk dumped beer all over my friends 8year old girl and they didnt even boot him out....

the game was okay the wolves definitely looked tired in the 2nd/3rd kass was by far the best player for the wolves. abbotsford's goalie was horrible im not sure how we didnt light him up like a Christmas tree.

From the Flames/Heat perspective, I thought Baertschi looked good (as usual). Horak, Reinhart, Brodie, Breen, and Aliu also looked good. Man, it's nice to have some decent prospects in our organization for a change. You guys should really go check them out. ::D

Watched both games this weekend. Horrible third period. Here are my thoughts:

Kassian was a beast all weekend. He is the AHL version of a feistier Bertuzzi circa 2002 (but with worse linemates).

Mallet is a gem. Looks big on the ice. He is a strong skater (not just a fast skater), looks much bigger than 6'1 200lbs on the ice, hits, awesome fighter, and has pretty good offensive instincts. He is a head and shoulders above guys like Friesen and Matson. Tonight he looked much better than Rodin and Schroeder.

Schroeder is an excellent skater. He works hard, back checks, and it is easy to tell he has a lot of offensive talent. Unfortunately he seems to lack offensive awareness and confidence, making him very ineffective.

Rodin looked better than Schroeder but doesn't have as much raw talent. I don't think he has the offensive ability to play a top 6 role and is not physical enough for a bottom 6 role. Even though he may be more talented than 2 or 3 other forwards playing above him in the NHL I think he will be hard pressed to make it as a regular.

Desbiens and Pinnizotto looked off tonight, both were better on Friday.

Joslin is terrible. Tanev and Connauton have NHL level talent, Connauton is much more well rounded than I expected. Matheson is pretty solid, number 3 guy this weekend IMO. But who cares about Matheson.

Sauve was ok, nothing special. Looked better than Hunt, Joslin, Andersson but doesn't excite me in terms of becoming an NHL defenseman.

Ebbett and Longpre were pretty invisible Saturday, but played solid on Friday.

Friesen and Matson played limited minutes. They are hardworking guys who might have trouble finding a niche in the NHL.

Lack is big and good down-low. It is evident that he is a talented puck handler but he really bombed tonight with that one play. He made a few good passing plays, especially one on friday where he did a saucer pass down the ice right onto the stick of the forward waiting at the offensive blue line.

Overall the Wolves look very disjointed offensively. Not much chemistry between the players. Kassian was the only player who was really dangerous offensively. Schroeder was the biggest disappointment to me. It is easy to see how much talent he has; unfortunately, it doesn't translate into points, or even great offensive chances.

I wasn't able to watch the game at the regular start time, but I recorded it and I just finished watching so here is my scouting report.

Eddie Lack: A-

- He just kept impressing me, he always makes big saves, and really held the Wolves in the game for alot of it. He made a bad play on the 1st goal, the 2nd one maybe he slide over a bit much but I dont really think he had a chance on any of the other 2.

Jordan Schroeder: B-

- He had a better night on faceoffs, he was really noticable, he didn't do much (not that alot of players did) but he always seems dangerous whenever he is out there, he has that dangerous factor, but I thought he was everywhere on the ice again tonight, he's not having bad games he just hasn't got many chances, if he keeps working hard like this the points will come

Zack Kassian: A+

- What a player, he can do it all. Skate, Score, Hit, Fight. He was a manchild out there tonight, he had some big hits, that first goal was a beauty, I just found myself always thinking about how great he was playing as the game went along.

Alexandre Mallet: B+

- I think he could be our Andrew Shaw, he was very impressive tonight, not just the fight and the big hit, but on the ice he was flying, agitating, and really was everywhere aswell, one of those guys that really stood out tonight, it was great to see him has some shifts with better players as the game went along.

Yann Sauve: B-

- I liked his game tonight, he wasn't flashy or spectacular by any means but I think he was steady, made good plays and didn't stand out for the wrong reason's, hopefully he stays in the line-up and builds off this.

Anton Rodin: C+

- Thought he made some nice plays occasionally, didn't stand out that much but he did have his moments, I think he is stronger and the ability is there, I think he just needs to get more intense.

Chris Tanev: B-

- He had a bit better of a game, he looked shaky early but I think he settled in and made some nice passes & plays. He keeps getting a bit better every game.

Kevin Connaution: B-

- He wasn't bad, his physical play has picked alot, hes actually a physical player now and he's not bad defensively, he didn't stand out overall but I thought he did in the 1st and had some good moments, but he kinda tailed off to just blending in as the game went along, wasn't really a factor on the PP.

Steve Pinnizzotto: B+

- He was really something, I love this guy he should be on our 4th line when the season starts again, he battles all the time, works hard, hits, fights, is resilient, shows heart, he didn't back down in that fight even thought the guy was quite a bit bigger than him, I was really impressed by him tonight, Hopefully he gets a chance on our 4th line cause I think he has a bit of skill to go along with that grit he has.

Overall the Heat just were more intense,I thought the Wolves were great early on but the Heat started to take over the game, and the Wolves just lost there intensity and there will to win, and the special teams were more-less a minor disaster tonight.

Overall the Heat just were more intense, I thought the Wolves were great early on but the Heat started to take over the game, and the Wolves just lost there intensity and there will to win, and the special teams were more-less a minor disaster tonight.

Archived